• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Garrethe

Garrethe

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

I Am currently using an Aquatica housing for a D7000 with a flat port shooting a Nikon 60mm lens. Interested in adding either a SubSee or MacroMate addition. Interested in any feedback whether this is a good idea and if one is better tthan the other. Thanks for any input you might chose to provide.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

I Am currently using an Aquatica housing for a D7000 with a flat port shooting a Nikon 60mm lens. Interested in adding either a SubSee or MacroMate addition. Interested in any feedback whether this is a good idea and if one is better tthan the other. Thanks for any input you might chose to provide.

I think for most applications the two are pretty much equivalent, both will get you about a 50% increase in magnification with the 60. Another option is to use a 1.4 tele, gets you more working distance and 40% magnification increase.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

There are two Subsees: a x5 and a x10. They are stronger than the macromate, I believe. I use the Subsee x5 with a 105, rather than the 60mm.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#4 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:29 PM

Aquatica has there own close up lens now, don't know if it's any better or not.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

There are two Subsees: a x5 and a x10. They are stronger than the macromate, I believe. I use the Subsee x5 with a 105, rather than the 60mm.

Cheers,
Marli

I believe that the Macromate is a +8 lens which is in between the two Subsee lenses. As Marli says using them with the 100/105 will get you more magnification than with the 60.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 Garrethe

Garrethe

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

So with the 60 mm I should opt for the +10 Subsee?

I believe that the Macromate is a +8 lens which is in between the two Subsee lenses. As Marli says using them with the 100/105 will get you more magnification than with the 60.
Bill

#7 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

With the 60mm, you will probably find that you have to get too darn close to your subject with the 10x. I found it a very challenging set-up to use with the 105mm. I have friends that have had great success with the 60mm and teleconverter (1.4X): just remember that you will require a port extension.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#8 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

isnt the result of 60mm with a teleconverter, "just" a 100 mm with a weaker maximum aperture ? Or does still focus as close as before so you get more magnification?
Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#9 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

You get more magnification. 1:1 is the base for both 60 and 100mm, if you add anything (tele, diopter) you get beyond 1:1