#1 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

Hi all,

A few weeks ago my gorgeous little daughter decided my MacBook Pro was a little thirsty and tipped Grapefruit juice on it... To cut a long story short (theres a song there somewhere) its buggered...

Question: The hardrive is apparently unaffected so how do i transfer data from the old to my new one??? Can any of you lovely peeps recommend software or any other process

Ta very much

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Hi all,

A few weeks ago my gorgeous little daughter decided my MacBook Pro was a little thirsty and tipped Grapefruit juice on it... To cut a long story short (theres a song there somewhere) its buggered...

Question: The hardrive is apparently unaffected so how do i transfer data from the old to my new one??? Can any of you lovely peeps recommend software or any other process

Ta very much

Dean

First thing, make sure you remember the details for further use when she gets older and gives you guff about it :D

Can you boot it into Firewire mode still (Hold down the T Key when booting?) If so you can clone the drive to another drive. Carbon Copy Cloner is one that is donation ware and works well. (Depending on the OS on the drive it may not boot a newer Macbook Pro, but you can get the data. Can even copy to another partition in a new computer then upgrade the OS)

Otherwise an option is having the HD removed and put in a enclosure and do the same thing. Not sure if you work inside laptops (I tend to let others work on them, towers I do myself) but you can also get some service places to do it for not too much money.

If the hard drive is damaged you my need to use some software for recovering damaged files.

#3 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

It is very easy to remove the drive from a MacBook Pro and mount into an enclosure. You could then copy the data off it.

Other World Computing has videos and other guides that will help.

#4 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:13 PM

Oh i will definately be reminding the little lady all about it... She owes me about 12yrs of pocket money :D :)

Cheers guys... as soon as the lovely and prompt insurance people get back to me I will try out your tips

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#5 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

Plus one on what ATJ said. I changed the hard drive in my macbook pro the same way.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#6 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

Everyone should have one of these..

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/B001OORMVQ

Take disk out of old computer, copy data to new computer. Or buy an enclosure so you can permanently use it. Or, put both drives in your new macbook pro :D
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#7 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

I bought a disc caddy/toaster thing from Maplin - which has helped me do this a couple of times.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

You might also want to consider, for the future, making a complete system backup every week or so. I use a specific external drive partitioned for both my MBP and Mac Pro and run 'Super Duper' to complete the back up. The first time you do it, it will take a while to complete but after that, it does a Smart Back Up and only copies any changes that have been made. Been using it for years without a single issue. I do prefer it to Carbon Copy Cloner but am not totally sure why.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#9 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

I do prefer it to Carbon Copy Cloner but am not totally sure why.

SUper Duper will clone, but to do incremental clones (the smart backup) you need to purchase it. CCC will do incremental back-ups also, but no need to donate (though good karma to donate/click through the ads on the screen) I have found CCC a bit easier for the last few years, and I think I have used about 5 different software Back Ups. I actually run them every day on everything. Actually clone a couple of my 8 TB Raid 0s everyday. (Take awhile the first time.) Also have a couple of Raid 5s that I also clone. Lose some data once and you get REAL paranoid. I mean diligent. :D

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

Jeez Louise !!! That's more clones than Star Wars!!!

I always archive images/ clips etc to EXT HDD's ... However i will be more paranoid... Sorry diligent in future

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#11 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

I just had ProSoft send me their Data Rescue software to test and review if I wanted. I deleted some clips from an external and installed and ran the Data Rescue. It successfully brought back that which I had deleted. More testing to do however.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.