#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

echeng111112_080310.jpg

I wanted to illustrate how moving lower and re-positioning strobes can affect how an underwater macro shot turns out. When you have a willing subject (i.e., a subject that doesn't move quickly), you have the opportunity to perfect your lighting. In the image on the left (one of my first attempts), the background is lit by light from my 2 strobes. In order to knock out the background, I repositioned my strobes so they were pointing *in*, towards my camera. This goes against everything underwater photographers are taught, but if the water is clear enough and your subject close enough, it will not create enough backscatter to be a problem. With strobes pointing more or less inward, you are using the outer falloff of each strobe to light your subject. No light reaches the background reef or sand. If you shoot with a fast shutter speed, low ISO, and small-ish aperture (in this case: 1/250s, f/9, ISO 160), your background is probably going to be completely black. For dramatic effect, get lower, so the shot is taken from the same level as the subject. A 45-degree viewfinder helps to make this possible; there is no reason to create neck problems by trying to use a 180-degree viewfinder. :D
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:48 AM

For inward lighting techniques in a less than particulate free water column (like we have in the UK) I've been experimenting with collimated light from my Z-240s.

Try these or similar ducting products

http://www.wickes.co...or/invt/713031/
http://www.wickes.co...le/invt/713040/

The round hose connector is a secure fit on a Z-240 and provides a mount for the rectangle ducting

HTH, Tim
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1533 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

echeng111112_080310.jpg

I wanted to illustrate how moving lower and re-positioning strobes can affect how an underwater macro shot turns out. When you have a willing subject (i.e., a subject that doesn't move quickly), you have the opportunity to perfect your lighting. In the image on the left (one of my first attempts), the background is lit by light from my 2 strobes. In order to knock out the background, I repositioned my strobes so they were pointing *in*, towards my camera. This goes against everything underwater photographers are taught, but if the water is clear enough and your subject close enough, it will not create enough backscatter to be a problem. With strobes pointing more or less inward, you are using the outer falloff of each strobe to light your subject. No light reaches the background reef or sand. If you shoot with a fast shutter speed, low ISO, and small-ish aperture (in this case: 1/250s, f/9, ISO 160), your background is probably going to be completely black. For dramatic effect, get lower, so the shot is taken from the same level as the subject. A 45-degree viewfinder helps to make this possible; there is no reason to create neck problems by trying to use a 180-degree viewfinder. :D

Eric, very nice that is a non-intuitive but very useful technique. We need to send this to the guys submitting highly photoshopped pictures to the competitions.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

A clever technique, I wonder if this could be applied to tight shots on video as well. Hmmm
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Wow ! that must be the most colorful nudi i've seen . Do you have the sp. name ?

JA

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

Wow ! that must be the most colorful nudi i've seen . Do you have the sp. name ?

Ceratosoma magnificum. I'm posting pictures one by one to my G+ album here: https://plus.google....821669481862465
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#7 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

Thanks

I saw the album , GREAT images as usual !!

#8 ckchong

ckchong

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

i thinks the best way is snoot it..........

#9 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1533 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

echeng111112_080310.jpg

I wanted to illustrate how moving lower and re-positioning strobes can affect how an underwater macro shot turns out. When you have a willing subject (i.e., a subject that doesn't move quickly), you have the opportunity to perfect your lighting. In the image on the left (one of my first attempts), the background is lit by light from my 2 strobes. In order to knock out the background, I repositioned my strobes so they were pointing *in*, towards my camera. This goes against everything underwater photographers are taught, but if the water is clear enough and your subject close enough, it will not create enough backscatter to be a problem. With strobes pointing more or less inward, you are using the outer falloff of each strobe to light your subject. No light reaches the background reef or sand. If you shoot with a fast shutter speed, low ISO, and small-ish aperture (in this case: 1/250s, f/9, ISO 160), your background is probably going to be completely black. For dramatic effect, get lower, so the shot is taken from the same level as the subject. A 45-degree viewfinder helps to make this possible; there is no reason to create neck problems by trying to use a 180-degree viewfinder. :)

Eric:
How long are your strobe arms for doing this.
thanks
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#10 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:24 PM

I'm gonna hurt my neck (I have an 180 degree Inon viewfinder) but I gotta try this idea and compare it to a snoot treatment. I will be in Magic Island (Moalboal) in a week and there is a nice house reef to experiment with these kinky ideas. Last time I located something that looked like a Painted Elysia on this reef but against a sand background the picture was trash. Thanks.

Tom