Photo
- - - - -

One dive at Barracuda Point ! ( Sipadan)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tunc

tunc

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

We’ve been diving in Sipadan for a long time. There has been times it had amazed us, I have seen its high times staying on the island and watching whales, mantas and marlins passing by.
But last October we had a particular Jaw dropping dive at Barracuda Point . We were lucky enough to film the shark action , especially the moment all of them were just hanging in the blue at the famous corner . But i haven't seen so many of them in 10 years , i think the environment there is really benefiting from the strict Sipadan permitt restrictions !

Please have a look at the story here ....and the video of that particularly dive is attached in the same post ..
Those who want to have a closer look please check it out on Vimeo on HD .

I would appreciate if you share your thoughts and experiences about the very same dive site !

Regards,

Edited by tunc, 06 December 2011 - 07:35 AM.

Tunc Yavuzdogan

Photo Webpage
My Web
D300s Tokina10-17mm,Nikkor 16mm,60mm,105mm,Nexus Housing ,2 Inon z240 Strobes,Sony HC-1,Canon XH-A1,Gates XHA1 housing,Ocean Images Housing etc. etc.

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

Nice, high energy film. Just goes to show you that the water doesn't always have to be blue.
steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 tunc

tunc

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thank you so much Steve , yes it was indeed very murky at that time of year :D

Regards,

Tunc Yavuzdogan
Tunc Yavuzdogan

Photo Webpage
My Web
D300s Tokina10-17mm,Nikkor 16mm,60mm,105mm,Nexus Housing ,2 Inon z240 Strobes,Sony HC-1,Canon XH-A1,Gates XHA1 housing,Ocean Images Housing etc. etc.

#4 DavidG

DavidG

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:02 AM

Great Video!!!
I will going there in August and I hope to get the chance to dive there if I get a permit
Thanks for sharing
David
Subal ND20, Nikon D200 and lots of water to photograph.

http://www.worldofoceans.com

#5 tunc

tunc

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:09 AM

Dear David,

Happy you enjoyed watching the Video , wish you good luck on getting the Permit and try to do your Barracuda Point dive in medium to strong current conditions. :D

Regards,

Tunc Yavuzdogan
Tunc Yavuzdogan

Photo Webpage
My Web

#6 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

Nice video. I was there a month before you Tunc. Not the best visibility compared to my first trip 2 years ago where we had 40 m+. Still all the usual subjects were there. We saw a Leopard Shark and about 20 White Tips on one dive at South PT.

#7 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

We've been diving in Sipadan for a long time. There has been times it had amazed us, I have seen its high times staying on the island and watching whales, mantas and marlins passing by.
But last October we had a particular Jaw dropping dive at Barracuda Point . We were lucky enough to film the shark action , especially the moment all of them were just hanging in the blue at the famous corner . But i haven't seen so many of them in 10 years , i think the environment there is really benefiting from the strict Sipadan permitt restrictions !

Please have a look at the story here ....and the video of that particularly dive is attached in the same post ..
Those who want to have a closer look please check it out on Vimeo on HD .

I would appreciate if you share your thoughts and experiences about the very same dive site !

Regards,

Absolutely awesome video, well done.

I've also had some truly stunning dives at barracuda point... the highlight being, whilst watching the school of bumpheads the barracuda literally passed straight through like a express train, hundreads and hundreds of them... one of the best dive sites anywhere.

#8 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

Well done!! Thanks for reminding me of Sipadan, especially Barracuda Point.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#9 tunc

tunc

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:38 AM

@ gee13 ,Thanks yours must have been an awesome experience too ! South point is also very special!
@kun1 , wooow that did make me Jealous ! Amazing!

And thanks for the great comments everybody !

Regards,

Tunc Yavuzdogan
Tunc Yavuzdogan

Photo Webpage
My Web