• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Randy Seuss

Randy Seuss

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:27 AM

Hey guys i'm new to surf photography, but not surfing or photography respectively.
I've been shooting for years now,and recently got a hero gopro and its made me decide to take the plunge in getting a housing for my DSLR.

I Really like the Liquid eye housings,... my question is what Mode do most of you guys shoot in ? TV (shutter priority ) Full Manual ??

seems it would be a pain to swim in to change shutter speed for constantly changing light situations.
is it possible to get prime photo's in TV modes or is full Manual the only way to go ?

the reason i ask is the housing i'm interested in (c1600 ) just has AF and trigger features...
SPL makes a fully adjustable housing for my camera but is quite a bit more.

Thanks in advance to any responses.
looking to buy a housing very soon.

#2 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

Break out the manual. You say you're no stranger to photography so why ask others if you know what you're doing? I did put some guidelines up there but thought better of it and removed them.

Asking photographers what settings they use is like asking a rival restaurant to cook your menu for you.

Gotta go through the learning process too mate, best of luck with it.

Cheers,
mark.

Edited by CamDiver, 13 December 2011 - 04:43 PM.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#3 eskrod

eskrod

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

I shoot in manual. I own a SPL housing for a 1d mark iii which allows control over shutter speed and aperature. I recommend getting a housing with this feature. cheers!

Hey guys i'm new to surf photography, but not surfing or photography respectively.
I've been shooting for years now,and recently got a hero gopro and its made me decide to take the plunge in getting a housing for my DSLR.

I Really like the Liquid eye housings,... my question is what Mode do most of you guys shoot in ? TV (shutter priority ) Full Manual ??

seems it would be a pain to swim in to change shutter speed for constantly changing light situations.
is it possible to get prime photo's in TV modes or is full Manual the only way to go ?

the reason i ask is the housing i'm interested in (c1600 ) just has AF and trigger features...
SPL makes a fully adjustable housing for my camera but is quite a bit more.

Thanks in advance to any responses.
looking to buy a housing very soon.

#4 Bombsight

Bombsight

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Trying to make the world look perfect

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

AV if there is plenty of light ... otherwise, Manual. SS should be 1/1000th or more. F8-16 is ideal. Center point focus. Stay out of the surfers way as best you can. Good luck & have fun.

#5 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:41 PM

If you get how all the controls and settings work then use manual and create your own style
if not try AV ... hell Automatic can work too .. give you an idea of where to start with settings and then tweak those in manual to get what you want.

There's no set rules and it will change as conditions do.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#6 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Hi Randy,

I dont do surf photography however when I started underwater photography fellow divers have been more than happy to share camera settings with me so getting started was easy enough.

It looks like it is a bit tougher to get this info for surf photography so a good place you can find pointers pointers on camera settings is on Flickr. Some users leave their exif data switched on and that will show the settings used for a particular photo.

The way to recognize whether or not the data is available is to click on a photo, then look at the description on the right hand side where it names the photographer, if the is data is available it will also mention the camera brand used for the photo.

When you click on the camera name it will give you the complete breakdown of the camera settings used including whether it was in Manual, Aperture priority, Shutter priority or Auto, plus the actual shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

Here are a couple publicly listed examples I found.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream
http://www.flickr.co...ol-88109984@N00

Just browse Flickr and I am sure you will find more.

Cheers,
John

#7 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

Break out the manual. You say you're no stranger to photography so why ask others if you know what you're doing? I did put some guidelines up there but thought better of it and removed them.

Asking photographers what settings they use is like asking a rival restaurant to cook your menu for you.

Gotta go through the learning process too mate, best of luck with it.

Cheers,
mark.

Pretty harsh Mark! Nothing wrong with sharing your knowledge, especially on these forums. Unless of course your afraid of a little competition?! :D
Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#8 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

[quote name='MIKE POWELL' date='Feb 18 2012, 04:25 PM' post='302216']
Pretty harsh Mark! Nothing wrong with sharing your knowledge, especially on these forums. Unless of course your afraid of a little competition?! :D

Good post Mike!
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#9 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:38 AM

Where is the little thumbs up button.....