• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 ilanbt

ilanbt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:49 AM

Unfortunatly I didnt dive in the amount that I am used to in 2011, but I managed 20 or so dives in Eilat and this is my favourite one:
Posted Image
Nikon D300 - Sea&Sea Housing
2 Ikelite DS125 Strobes
Sigma 50mm 2.8 Macro
Nikon 105mm VR
Tokina 10-17 Fisheye
Sigma 17-70 2.8-4
Site - My Gallery

#42 Yoav Lavi

Yoav Lavi

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

My favorite image of 2011:

Attached Images

• IMG_4298.JPG

#43 fforbes

fforbes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:diving warm and cold, photography, golf, travel of every kind

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

Fabulous images everyone, I look forward to this thread every year. My favorite image came after a 15 year quest to see a whale shark. I know the classic shot is mouth open, but this guy was looking at me so intently, a brief connection. This one is my favorite.

FletcherFMF_5307_2.jpg
Fletcher

fletcherforbes.com
Nikon D800, Subal, Sea&Sea D1's

#44 dspphoto

dspphoto

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Interests:Dachshunds, Snowboarding, warm water, travel.

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

I always love this thread. Fantastic photos everyone. Here's my choice:

20110625_d2x_rtb_0064.jpg

I have some shots that I maybe prefer personally, but this one ended up on the cover of the Roatan divesite guide book so that makes me happy. Taken on the mast of the El Aguila wreck in Roatan.

Cheers,

dano
"If you're going through hell,keep going." - Winston Churchill

danopendygrasse.com

#45 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

I am actually still working on this technique but I'll post anyway. The shot is a +10 Subsee of Tunicates. However, I am trying to turn it into a watercolor-like painting. Essentially the background will be water-color like but the foreground will maintain the clarity of the photograph. D-300, Af-105VR f/32 1/250

Attached Images

• _DQO7690_blue_bells_paint.jpg

#46 Beyondthesurface

Beyondthesurface

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Anything in, on or around the water!

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

Here's my favourite of the year.
This was taken during a trip with my wife and a few from our local dive club to the Maldives. It's a destination I always dreamt about, so we jumped at the opportunity.
I had got a 100mm macro lens for my birthday from my wife, but didn't get a chance to get it in the water before the trip. Most dives were going wide angle- with the hope of Manta's and Whale Sharks (which didn't disappoint).
I like this shot because it seems so surreal, being able to clearly see it's "teeth". I have it printed 12x16 in the entrance to our unit and it looks so menacing, even though the Anemonefish is tiny!

IMG_6766_1.jpg

#47 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:46 AM

Breaking with tradition, I'll start the fave/best shot thread since everyone else more qualified is busy. I was thinking of which shot to post: Marlins, sharks, whales, baitballs, penguins etc etc... but one shot stood out among the thousands I took this year. Now this subject has few peers when it comes to the underwater kingdom. He is the only animal whose eyes are filtered, almost magically! All other animals behave around him like adoring puppies, even humans! Why? Because he is Doctor Alex Mustard, and he is the most helpful, kindest and genuine guy you can find. Nobody can say anything bad about him and everyone loves him. He has no critics (well one other!) because he is a happy uw photog.... or is he?
Yes, more important than finding the rarest shot of marlins mating with dolphins and giant squid playing nurse maid to flamboyant cuttlefish, I finally shot the real Alex Mustard. Beneath the kind, gentle and to many... sexy (rrrrwoowrr!) exterior hides an angry man. He may take fantastic photos of people in diving positions, but secretly he is really ....

Thought I'd put one up of him too :)
Posted Image

Hot Rocks, Komodo
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#48 garyyoss

garyyoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

Here's one of my favorites from 2011.
This summer was one of the best for Loggerhead Turtle nests here in Palm Beach, Florida. On this dive we must have seen close to a dozen on a section of The Breakers reef called Turtle Island, you had to watch out drifting or you would crash into one!
Happy Holidays,
Gary

Attached Images

• _DSC8654_Edit.jpg

Nikon D800, Sea and Sea MDX-D800, Nikon D300, Sea and Sea MDX-D300, Inon Z-240's, Nikkor 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 12-24mm, ULCS Hardware

#49 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

Fab images everyone ..beautiful!

This pic means so much on so many levels, and marks the point where the lights finally came on...my first time in Bali...my first visit to Indonesia...my first time south of the equator....my first Bintang..
my first underwater photo workshop... where I was truely free to make pictures...and dive with kindred souls......
It was inspirational, magical....and unforgettable.
Dedicated to those that were there, and to those who inspire me here.
Thank you, and happy snapping in 2012.
:-)

Attached Images

• DSC_0294.jpg

Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#50 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

My best moment of the year was spotting this juvenile ornate ghost pipefish on a recent dive trip in Anilao. It was very close to the bottom and I almost had to dig a hole in the sand to get an upward shot against open water :) Other firsts for me this year were a mantis shrimp with a huge clutch of eggs and capturing the amazing courting display of the male sand diver.
Merry Christmas to all.

Attached Images

• IMG_5572.jpg

#51 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1216 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

I tried, but I couldn't get it down to 1, so I posted 3 :)
Upper left: Fairly Basslet, Grand Cayman. Leave it to me to get my best macro of the year at Alex's wide angle workshop. 105VR with my departed D300s.
Upper Right: Hawksbill Turtle - what you do with a large animal when you have a 60mm on. He was totally tame, fun interaction.
Lower; Big Ass Ugly Ling Cod. These are pretty common around here and I think I finally got a portrait I like. Shot with a XZ-1 P&S, single strobe, sometimes simple is better.
Cheers, Jack

Attached Images

• Fairy_Basslet.jpg
  • Hawksbill_Turtle.jpg
  • Big_Ass_Ugly_Lingcod.jpg

Edited by JackConnick, 20 December 2011 - 08:04 PM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#52 newmanl

newmanl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

I'd very much agree, great images everyone!

While maybe not my best, it is my favorite of 2011... so far! It was a sunny October day at a local dive site and I wanted to practice balancing ambient and strobe (fill) light. I looked up, saw the sun-ball and then found a clump of plumose anemones, then asked my wife to swim circles above me until we were able to combine all the elements! She was patient beyond what I deserve and while the plumose aren't the most striking foreground element, I like the photo. Thanks for looking.

Lee

Posted Image

#53 howeikwok

howeikwok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:23 AM

A truly funny moment. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image
Canon 50D/60mm macro/100mm macro/Tokina 10-17mm FE/Nexus Housing/Inon Z-240s

#54 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:03 AM

I spent one week this year shooting nothing but my Tokina 10-17 and another shooting just my 105mm macro. Learned a lot this year, here is a image from each.PC1_5591.jpg PC1_7916.jpg
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#55 junior5

junior5

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:19 AM

three of my favorites from 2011. it was hard to pick just one. i just picked from underwater pics. no land based ones. this is my first attempt at posting a pic on here.

Attached Images

• lapaz_2011_day_5_and_6_341.jpg
  • BrianHead_mantasharks.jpg
  • lapaz_2011_day_7_5.jpg

#56 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 03:41 AM

As always, a fantastic and inspiring group of pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I'm pretty sure it isn't my best image for 2011, but it is without doubt my favorite!

Posted Image

A morning spent at Crystal River was the perfect antidote to a hectic DEMA show. People had mentioned that the interaction you get with manatees is very special and they were absolutely right. When any large mammal choses to interact with me I feel immensely privileged, and boy did these guys interact with me!

I love manatees!

Wishing everyone safe diving and great shooting for 2012.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#57 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:51 AM

As everyone is breaking the one shot rule, I'm going to do it too. :)

This was my last dive with my P&S and the longest dive I've done so far (120 min), half the dive with day light and half the dive in the darkness of the night.
My wife is in the shot and that makes it more special for me (the only active woman tech diver in Chile).
Posted Image

This was my first dive, and only dive so far, with my new dSLR equipment. The dive was really fun and marks a new era for my photography.
Posted Image
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#58 Xanderwater

Xanderwater

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

Hi everyone, this is one of my favourites.
Taken on a stormy day in an estuary in Perth, West Australia on snorkel in 1 meter of water, visibility 1 meter.
I liked the symmetry and thought the seahorses expression in combination with the shallow milky water and dark overcast sky made for a weird atmosphere.

Posted Image
Rainy day by xanderwater, on Flickr
flickr.com/xanderwater

#59 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

This is the one I printed for Christmas photos. Cropped for printing.

Rocha Partida, May 2011

whalesrk15x120985.jpg
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#60 andy_deitsch

andy_deitsch

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

This is my favorite from the year. It was taken on one of the last dives of Alex Mustard's Red Sea workshop. That week was the first time I was shooting wide angle so for me, this was the culmination of a weeks worth of lessons and I have a very distinct memory of where I was when I took the shot, how I set it up and what I was thinking as I was trying out various camera and strobe configurations.

Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D, 2x Inon z240, Tokina 10-17, Canon 60mm
Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...tos/andydeitsch