26 replies to this topic

#21 rwe

rwe

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hey rwe,

I just recently upgraded to the Nex 5n in the Recsea housing + ports, and have a few sets of dives under my belt now with the set up. I really like the Recsea housing (I had their Canon s90 housing as well), and they are just rock solid in terms of construction. The housing plus camera is very compact, moreso than I expected which I like since it means I can keep the same tray/handle set up I was using before. :swimmingfish:

I have the dome port for the 16mm WA+fisheye, and the 18-55MM port. Both have secure o-rings and lock firmly into place on the housing, yet can be swapped out when you change lenses fairly easily. The housing also has a screw on strobe mask with pre-drilled holes for fiber optic strobe cables.

It also has full access to the Nex 5n control wheel and buttons, flash on/off & zoom (a must on my list), so using the camera in the housing is virtually exactly the same user interface as when the camera is out of the housing.

Since the 30MM macro lens seems to have limited utility based on the reviews I read here, I've decided to wait to see if Sony or another manufacturer produces a macro lens with a longer focal length before I invest. In the meantime, I also the 67mm adapter that snaps onto the 18-55mm port so I can use my stacked macro wet lenses with it. I keep the lenses screwed into the adapter in a neoprene pouch on my BCD, so I can just quickly snap it on when diving with the 18-55 lens if I come across a good macro subject.

All in all, I'm very happy with the camera and housing. Just looking forward to getting in more dives with it, and continuing to improve!

My NEX-5N arrived a few days ago and my 10Bar housing is in transport. At this time I only have the 18-55 lens but I have purchased a FIT +5 diopter the external adapter. I have an Inon 240Z strobe connected by fiber optics. For those of you who have used the NEX-5N underwater, I would be interested in how you have set up the custom buttons and what apertures, shutter speeds, and ISOs you use as starting positions for both close-ups and distance shots. Also interested in your choice of metering and flash modes. My NEX seems to have trouble with close focusing when I use spot metering but does well when I use evaluative metering (all 49 sensors). Is this common?

Thanks,
Rick
Sony NEX-5N,10Bar Housing, Olympus C-8080, PT-023 (broken port tabs, of course), Inon 240, flickr site: <a href="http://www.flickr.co...os/8459071@N08/"

#22 kalani

kalani

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hello Rick,

I'm not an expert but in the book "the underwater photographer" by Martin Edge, It is said that for wide angle starting position, you can set your camera to aperture priority and put f8.
The exact quotation is ‘f8 at 3 feet and bethere’ :swimmingfish:

It is also said that you can put speed priority and set it to 1/250th if you know that you can meet fast subjects near the surface (like dolphins).

#23 Aliens

Aliens

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:01 PM

I am considering upgrading to the Sony NEX-5N. There has been a lot of positive comments on this forum about the Nauticam housing for this camera. Several other manufacturers, including Aquatica and 10Bar, also make housing for this camera. I would be interested in hearing of experience or opinions of the other housings available for the NEX-5N. Thanks.

I have the nEX7 in a Nauticam housing. I couldn't be happier the quality of the build of the housing means it it is very worthwhile and i hope to grown in to it in the future. This is my first venture in to ILC after using a G12. I decided to go for the best and hope I will use it for a long time and buy new lenses as they appear.

#24 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1755 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Hi all,

I am busy writing up my impressions of the NEX-5n 10 Bar housing at the moment. I hope to have housings from Nauticam, Subal, Aquatica, and Recsea for test soon.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#25 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

You will have ours along with a cold :) at the London show my friend.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#26 rwe

rwe

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

Hi all,

I am busy writing up my impressions of the NEX-5n 10 Bar housing at the moment. I hope to have housings from Nauticam, Subal, Aquatica, and Recsea for test soon.

Adam

I just received my 10Bar housing for the NEX-5N. While I haven't had a chance to get it in the water yet, the zoom control for the 18-55mm lens seems very cumbersome and hard to use. Is it easier in the water with some pressure on the spring. Did you try moving the zoom ring around to try to get better contact? While, again, I have not had it in the water yet, it seems to me that this control needs a much weaker spring or no spring at all. Is there a way to remove the spring and still have housing integrity (no leaks)?
Sony NEX-5N,10Bar Housing, Olympus C-8080, PT-023 (broken port tabs, of course), Inon 240, flickr site: <a href="http://www.flickr.co...os/8459071@N08/"

#27 Akoni

Akoni

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

To the folks using and testing the 5n underwater, what are your thoughts on autofocus speed and accuracy with the 5n?