4 replies to this topic

#1 shark8matt

shark8matt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:marine biologist - I study sharks and stingrays

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:10 AM

I recently gave Nat Geo permission to use a shot of one of my professors who became a Nat Geo Explorer. Looking through links from the page, I clicked on a shark gallery. To my great surprise, the last photo was one of mine.
Blacktip gallery photo

The image is credited to David Doubilet. While I am somewhat flattered that they would mistake my image for one of his, I am totally at a loss for how they got the image and could make such an egregious error. Even the caption is completely wrong, as this IS a blacktip, C limbatus. I wrote them an email today to call them out on it - I have the original raw file and the copyright. I licensed the image to run with a couple shark stories a few years ago but never licensed it to Nat Geo. I am very disappointed that they don't look into their photos to verify ownership.
My question is - what is best to do - ask them to remove it? have them change the credit and keep it up? ask them to pay for it?

cheers!

- MDP
Matthew D. Potenski

The Shark Research Institute -Director of Field Operations
Bimini Biological Field Station - Sharklab - PIT Project Staff

www.matthewdpotenskiphoto.com

#2 decosnapper

decosnapper

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:57 AM

My question is - what is best to do - ask them to remove it? have them change the credit and keep it up? ask them to pay for it?

Pay. Credits are a moral right and therefore not really worth anything - not as in the sort of "buy another camera" or "fill the gas tank" type currency the rest of the world runs on, that is. For recognition and prevention of future orphans, they are priceless. Not sure on the US law, but unless you waive your moral rights, you are entitled to a credit by law, not as a kind of 'Of course we will credit you' type thing.

Did you register it with the US Copyright Office?
Simon Brown

www.simonbrownimages.com

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

Well I'm pretty sure DD won't be happy his name is dragged into this as well. However I can't find the pic in that gallery.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#4 shark8matt

shark8matt

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:marine biologist - I study sharks and stingrays

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Well I'm pretty sure DD won't be happy his name is dragged into this as well. However I can't find the pic in that gallery.

Drew -

I received and email from Nat Geo and they pulled the image from the gallery. I told them I was more than happy to license it to them if they want it in their gallery. I licensed the blacktip image to several science based news articles.

Blacktip photo on LiveScience

It should be noted that David Doubilet had nothing to do with this - the Nat Geo website incorrectly identified him as the photographer.

Thanks for the input...

cheers!

- MDP
Matthew D. Potenski

The Shark Research Institute -Director of Field Operations
Bimini Biological Field Station - Sharklab - PIT Project Staff

www.matthewdpotenskiphoto.com

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

You should send them the bill anyhow. Teaches them to research before posting! The fact that they have a high res copy means someone gave it to them or they solicited it.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.