• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Davidhol

Davidhol

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

When I save Raw files directly from my camera to my computer using Windows Explorer they download as jpeg. If I use photoshop's clunky system I get Raw files. Am I doing something stupid or will this always happen? Thanks, David

#2 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

When I save Raw files directly from my camera to my computer using Windows Explorer they download as jpeg. If I use photoshop's clunky system I get Raw files. Am I doing something stupid or will this always happen? Thanks, David

When you say that you are saving directly from camera, are you copying the NEF files?
Keep in mind that with Windows Explorer you will see the NEF files as simple files and not as images.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#3 Davidhol

Davidhol

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

I'm saving RAW to one card and jpeg to the other. When copying them to my computer with Explorer they both arrive as jpeg files of the same size therefore the NEF file has somehow been converted to Jpeg. I've checked that the camera is set to RAW on Card 1 and when working through Photoshop Elements 9 I get the NEF file that I can see as such with explorer and edit with Photoshop as a Raw file. I'm confused!

#4 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

I'm saving RAW to one card and jpeg to the other. When copying them to my computer with Explorer they both arrive as jpeg files of the same size therefore the NEF file has somehow been converted to Jpeg. I've checked that the camera is set to RAW on Card 1 and when working through Photoshop Elements 9 I get the NEF file that I can see as such with explorer and edit with Photoshop as a Raw file. I'm confused!

I haven't tried that combination, I save both NEF and jpeg in the same card, I don't know why I'm still saving the jpegs :)
Maybe the camera is only mounting the jpeg card, try removing the jpeg card and then mounting the camera to the computer just to see what happens.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1529 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

I suspect that explorer is downloading the embedded jpg that is in the NEF file. Does your expolorer show the sizes of the files correctly?
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

How are you copying the files? Plugging the SD card into the computer or connecting the camera via USB? With the former method, there's no reason for Windows Explorer to do anything but copy the files. If the latter, I suspect the camera may be doing something.

#7 Davidhol

Davidhol

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

I've now arrived on holiday in Mauritius. Had my first dives with the new rig and have a lot to learn! Downloaded to my wife's computer and everything worked correctly.

ATJ - I had connected to my computer by USB.
Bill - I have not checked my file sizes but they were previously showing at about 7500 for the JPG and 17500 for the NEF. This agrees with the numbers I'm seeing on my wife's computer. When downloading on my computer the JPG files were exactly the same size. Would the embedded jpg that is in the NEF file be exactly the same size?
Acuevas - I was getting duplicates so it seems I'm getting info from both cards.

I have posted another question on the DSLR Housing forum as it seems to fit there but just MIGHT have something to do with this problem. Please have a look there.