• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mrmishkin

mrmishkin

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

Anyone have any experience with a waterproof iphone case? I am not expecting to dive with, just keep it top side for surface intervals, phone calls, snapshots, web browsing. Also plan on using it for sailing and skiing.

I found a few cases that fit the bill:

The PaleKai $40 Seems to have good reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B005DNO6GI

The lifeproof $80 Very sleek, Mixed reviews, but more functional http://www.lifeproof.com/

"The bags" ewa marine etc..

Any comments or user experience would be appreciated
Aaron Mishkin
Panasonic DMC-TS2 Ike DS-50 and Manual Controller
DAN Research Intern 2004

#2 ripple

ripple

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

I've been using the lifeproof case for a couple months and highly recommend it. Doesn't add to much bulk, its really rugged, and all of the phone controls are still functional. The external speaker actually seems to sound better too when the phone is in the case.

Edited by ripple, 15 December 2011 - 09:12 AM.

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:01 AM

I have a real habit of either dropping my camera in the ocean, or jumping into the water with my phone in my pocket. Will the lifeproof save my iphone in the future?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 mrmishkin

mrmishkin

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

I have a real habit of either dropping my camera in the ocean, or jumping into the water with my phone in my pocket. Will the lifeproof save my iphone in the future?

It certainly looks that way. If it doesn't sink....
Aaron Mishkin
DAN Research Intern 2004

#5 HobertBrun

HobertBrun

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:35 AM

hi, I am new thinking about buying a new "everyday" case so that i can acces the headphone jack in the car, and charge it every night without having to remove the case. And I will use this case only for the beach or snowboarding.

Hobert Brun

#6 CiraHendsbee

CiraHendsbee

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:12 AM

Hi...

I have the Magellan ToughCase , But it won't work that well with the iPhone 4,
It does however work very well with the iPod.

It's waterproof to iPX7, Even boosts the battery life with a built in battery and has GPS technology.

Thanks & Regards
Cira Hendsbee

#7 mrmishkin

mrmishkin

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:14 AM

So I picked up a lifeproof case. I actually had to return the first one due to a small manufacturing defect where the membrane sealed against the bottom. It still tested as being waterproof, but for $80 I want one that doesn't have a defect. I got it from best buy and used a 10% off coupon. Seems really nice, and actually comes with a waterproof headphone jack. It'll be nice to be able to listen some tunes at the beach and not worry about sand or water. Photos seem unaffected, although the screen has a membrane over it that does seem to easily pick up oils from the hand. I'm happy with my purchase and it seems to afford a level or protection over the otterbox defender while still being sleeker.
Aaron Mishkin
DAN Research Intern 2004