• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10634 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

Red has announced that Epic-X is now available for ordering. No dates on delivery except "coming soon"... of course! :)

The brain is $27500.

http://www.red.com/store/epic

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

Fantastic... I was holding out for one of these

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#3 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:17 AM

They need a comparison table.

#4 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

The brain is $27500.

That sounds kind of pricey, I did not pay nearly that much for my brain, as if that isn't obvious :)

#5 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:24 AM

That sounds kind of pricey, I did not pay nearly that much for my brain, as if that isn't obvious :)

Get a secondhand, reconditioned one like mine... Rhesusmonkeybrains.com

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

Get a secondhand, reconditioned one like mine... Rhesusmonkeybrains.com

Dean

Well I started with a good one but I think after years of misuse and lack of serving it's starting to fall apart!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#7 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

Great I might order two so I got a back up :-)
Not a camera really for the average Joe...lol...
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#8 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

5 times the framerate of Scarlet-X at both 2k and 4k, so it's the one for overcranking. You get what you pay for.

#9 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:11 AM

5 times the framerate of Scarlet-X at both 2k and 4k, so it's the one for overcranking. You get what you pay for.

Yep and according to Mr Bloom not worth it :)

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#10 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:18 AM

I don't think he offloaded his because it wasn't worth it, but because of reliability problems and poor customer service. Those are aspects that may improve, and that others might be willing to deal with. From what I recall of the blog post in question he still loves what the camera can do, when it works.

#11 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

If you want great 4k slomo of a mantis shrimp grabbing a passing fish, Epic can do it, Scarlet can't. But of course there's more to life than slomo at 4k.

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10634 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:31 AM

Nobody can say no to 60fps with 18stops to play with @ 5k. Reliability issues aren't new with some Red shoots. There's nothing new but there have been also shoots where nothing major have gone wrong. When you have that sort of data throughput and hand assembled components, the Epic M was always never going to be a finished production model. Now the reaction with Scarlet is new. People have received their units and have already started shooting. We'll find out soon.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

I was only kidding Nick... To be honest i cannot afford one so don't really care about the issues :)

Be great to see how many wetpixelians do invest in this product though? Have you ordered one as you seem pretty passionate about it?

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#14 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1975 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:47 AM

No Dean, I'm nowhere near being in the market for one. I'm just interested, that's all, and happy to live vicariously through those that take the plunge. One fine day I hope to invest in a soopadoopa cam but not for a good while. While people still "wow" about my Z1P footage on YouTube, I can't justify a big upgrade until it dies, since that is my main market. Currently office-based, a long way from the sea, spending my days on a 0.72k timeline :) Next cam will probably be a 7DmkII (if it happens and if the display articulates... otherwise the 60D's successor), but for stills as much as video.

Edited by Nick Hope, 17 December 2011 - 09:48 AM.

#15 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:16 AM

If I could afford one would I actually need one ??? The WOW and head swelling congrats only last a while as the look what I can afford boasting...

No camera gets you 'work' as all the companies I know tend to use their regulars (if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude) and train them up.

Thier will be a EPIC/SCARLET turbo? in a few months anyway

Be happy with what you have me old son if it makes you money then thats a bonus ... My, jump on the EX1 bandwagon, hasn't really, so it might have to go :)

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#16 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Woohoo! Look at what has just landed in my office.....

Santa1.jpg

Brand new Epic M with PL or EF mount. Exact same size as the Scarlet so "double happiness" as far as housing goes. Gates has sent me a prototype Deep Epic as the ordered one is getting final assembly and fine tuning. I have to say the housing is even simpler to install than the Deep Red One. I will be trying it out in a pool. Anyone in SE Asia with a big shoot coming up :) ? More to follow soon.

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#17 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:48 AM

Here is more of the Epic camera.

PL Mount with RED T3 17-50mm and Pro monitor. Well the housing is configured for canon EF lenses but I had to try and see if the PL lens fits. It fits too! The Gates housing LCD monitor supplied fits the old RED one LCD - lucky a friend has one for loan. The cable supplied has about 10mm slack - not much maneuverability but fits securely.
RedEpic1.jpg

RedEpic3.jpg

Not much time as this set up has to be ready to go. Pool test next.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#18 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Here is Paul who is going to Truk Lagoon for a shoot. The housing floats like a cork but there are plenty of grooves for internal and external trim weights to get the housing slightly negative and balanced.

EpicPool2.jpg

Here is a funky pic of the baby in the water.....

EpicPool1.jpg

By tomorrow Paul should be one of a few people who would actually be shooting a Gates Deep Epic underwater. Initial 24 hours impression of the housing is that it is a superbly well engineered housing. One would expect no less from Gates. What impresses me most is the ease in which I could install the Red Epic and some of the gear set up for Focus and Zoom. there is a third dial for aperture if PL lenses were used. Gates supplied white plastic disc as markers for focus pull or the other two dials. Very well thought out.

Well, I hate to see the housing leave my hands so soon but she will be back in a couple of weeks and I could do a better review of the Gates Deep Epic setup then. She gotta start earning some hard cash......

Cheers

David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 05 January 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#19 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1314 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

Looks awesome, deposit paid on mine just before Christmas :)

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney