#1 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:52 AM

Hi all,

I am in the process of returning to Windows from Mac and I am having a custom built Laptop to edit with... As many of you will know I am not that tech minded :) although I an getting there...

Quick question... SSD or HDD??? what would be the choice of champions (so to speak)

Dean

Ps or maybe both?
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#2 leighd

leighd

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

Have a SSD to boot windows and programs fast from, and a large HDD for storage
www.leighdunne.com www.facebook.com/leighdunnephoto

#3 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:46 AM

Well that was pretty short and easy Leigh ... Just how I like it :)

What would be a decent size/speed SSD?

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#4 leighd

leighd

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:05 AM

Haha no worries, i was finishing up work at about 6am this morning so thats about all i could come up with at the time :)

Ive been looking at removing my optical drive from my Macbook Pro and replacing it with a SSD, They defiantly are not cheap though, a 120GB drive is around $200-250 while a 240GB is around the $500 mark.

Though im thinking 120GB should be fine for installing an operating systems and programs, and a 1TB hard drive for storage.
www.leighdunne.com www.facebook.com/leighdunnephoto

#5 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

quick answer: definitely SSD.

- My wife's aging core 2 solo machine was taking almost 3 months to boot up. Since I can't convince her to give up Windows and go to OSX, I put a new SSD in her machine. Boots up in 15 seconds now.

- I removed my DVD drive from my 2011 Macbook Pro and put a 256gb SSD in it's place. I use the SSD for programs and OS and boot, the 500gb standard drive is for data. Boots in 15 seconds. Most programs launch in 1/2 second or less.

Once again with gusto: Go SSD.
Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#6 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

quick answer: definitely SSD.

- My wife's aging core 2 solo machine was taking almost 3 months to boot up. Since I can't convince her to give up Windows and go to OSX, I put a new SSD in her machine. Boots up in 15 seconds now.

- I removed my DVD drive from my 2011 Macbook Pro and put a 256gb SSD in it's place. I use the SSD for programs and OS and boot, the 500gb standard drive is for data. Boots in 15 seconds. Most programs launch in 1/2 second or less.

Once again with gusto: Go SSD.

Cheers John... Bit of an arse but have found out if I want a blu-ray writer I can't have a second drive :) so I have to decide which I more important ...

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#7 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:51 AM

Cheers John... Bit of an arse but have found out if I want a blu-ray writer I can't have a second drive :lol: so I have to decide which I more important ...

Dean

On my Macbook Pro I just use an external USB DVD drive now since I removed the internal one and swapped for SSD. I find I rarely use the DVD drive anymore; I upload everything for viewing on the Internet and if I need to give someone some files I have found a 16gb usb flash stick to be much more convenient than a DVD.

OF course, that is one of the annoyances of OSX vs. Windows 7 is lack of native support for Blu-Ray. Oh well, nothing works for everything :)

Edited by johnspierce, 16 December 2011 - 11:51 AM.

Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#8 Balrog

Balrog

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

I use network attached storage (NAS) for all data files, photos & videos. Can be accessed from lappies & desktop, (win or mac) throughout the house.
Also when time comes to change out machines or rescue crashes, the job is a lot simpler without having to move too much data.
Some files such as lightroom catalogues insist on being on the local drive though.