• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jimj

jimj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

I am currently using a 10-17 Tokina in a Nexis 100 mm dome port. I would like to add a Kenko 1.4 teleconverter . I understand that the lens would be lengthened by approximately 25mm. I have a 20mm port extension for when I shoot my Nikon 105 in a Nexis straight port. This extension also fits my dome port so I can get the front of the port out enough to allow for the teleconverter and lens to fit. OK my missing link ( I think) is that the manual zoom gear on my Tokina is 5.96mm thick Model 21351 HG-725 and I think I need a gear that is around 25-30mm thick to reach the gear in the housing. I have been to the Nexis-Anthis website and there is nothing available that meets this requirement that I can find. Can anyone steer me to another brand of gear that may work. As the gear inside my housing is held in by small screws perhaps, I can put a new matching gear into the housing when shooting this combination.

Sorry for such a long winded and probably ill explained 2nd posting. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

jimj

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

I also have a Nexus housing. The 20mm port extension works fine with the 1017 little dome. I believe that is the same dome you have.
I use an FIT zoom gear and it works fine. The fit is too tight on the zoom gear. So you need to remove the o-ring inside the zoom gear, cut it to make 3 sections You use about half of the o-ring to all 3. Set them at 0, 60, 120 degrees in the zoom gear. Then it fits better... OR remove the rubber grip on the lens and leave the O-ring alone.

I got mine at Fun-In. Their website is below.
www.fun-in.com.tw

Sometimes their website is not easy to find what I want. I would suggest email to them asking for a quote with shipping costs.

There have been some interesting options in the Do It Yourself (DIY) section of this site on making your own Zoom gear for a lot less but I have not tried it. Here is a link for it.

DIY Zoom gear

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 jimj

jimj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

I also have a Nexus housing. The 20mm port extension works fine with the 1017 little dome. I believe that is the same dome you have.
I use an FIT zoom gear and it works fine. The fit is too tight on the zoom gear. So you need to remove the o-ring inside the zoom gear, cut it to make 3 sections You use about half of the o-ring to all 3. Set them at 0, 60, 120 degrees in the zoom gear. Then it fits better... OR remove the rubber grip on the lens and leave the O-ring alone.

I got mine at Fun-In. Their website is below.
www.fun-in.com.tw

Sometimes their website is not easy to find what I want. I would suggest email to them asking for a quote with shipping costs.

There have been some interesting options in the Do It Yourself (DIY) section of this site on making your own Zoom gear for a lot less but I have not tried it. Here is a link for it.

DIY Zoom gear

#4 jimj

jimj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

Thank you very much Dave. I followed the link you provided and it would seem that the one I am after is coded ZG-STK 1017 for around 83.00. Just my luck it is out of stock. It would appear that we have the same rig and you are happy that the gear teeth mesh and move smoothly?

If so I will contact them to see when this may be back in stock. Once again thank you so very much with the information. Can you tell me the length mesurement ?

Wishing you and your family all the best for the festive season.

jimj

#5 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:14 PM

I checked that number at Fun-IN. That looks like its for Sea and Sea housings. Maybe it works for Nexus, maybe not.
I suggest you email them.

I am happy with the zoom gear. Its smooth working.
Important points:
It must be installed evenly. If not aligned evenly, the gear will work loose as you use it. Alignment is easy to check...just zoom in/out with the dome off, watching the gear meshing. The teeth should stay engaged evenly the entire time.

Slide the gear on from the back of the lens and only press it on as far as needed. SLOWLY and carefully remove the gear. If you are removing it by pressing it off toward the back - be careful You can cause the lens to separate as the zooming action is only held on with 2 sided tape. This is why I talked about cutting the o-ring on the gear. If the fit is too tight, you can separate your lens.
It costs $80 to have it put back together.

But overall, I like the gear and recommend it. Just handle it carefully.

dave

www.shiningseastudio.com

#6 jimj

jimj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

I checked that number at Fun-IN. That looks like its for Sea and Sea housings. Maybe it works for Nexus, maybe not.
I suggest you email them.

I am happy with the zoom gear. Its smooth working.
Important points:
It must be installed evenly. If not aligned evenly, the gear will work loose as you use it. Alignment is easy to check...just zoom in/out with the dome off, watching the gear meshing. The teeth should stay engaged evenly the entire time.

Slide the gear on from the back of the lens and only press it on as far as needed. SLOWLY and carefully remove the gear. If you are removing it by pressing it off toward the back - be careful You can cause the lens to separate as the zooming action is only held on with 2 sided tape. This is why I talked about cutting the o-ring on the gear. If the fit is too tight, you can separate your lens.
It costs $80 to have it put back together.

But overall, I like the gear and recommend it. Just handle it carefully.

dave

Dave,

I am a little confused I understand we both have Nexus housings,Tokina10-17, Kenko 1.4 andthe small dome port with a 20 mm extension for the port. Is your Zoom gear the one they show in the website model ZG-STK1017 or another model number. It may be for the Sea And Sea but it seems to me that is the only one available. I have written to them asking if it will work and if it does when will it be back in stock. Thank you very much for all of the handling tips. It is always nice to know how not to screw it up.

jimj

#7 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

I checked my zoom gear. It does not state a model number. It has F.I.T., the lens and for Nexus housing on the label.
I looked back in my email log and found the following from Fun-In with the quote for the ring.

FIT zoom ring for Tokina 10-17 with Kenko 1.4X for NEXUS M6 port (D90 housing)
Mfr# ZG-T107K14-ATS

I suggest you email fun-in to get the correct gear for your housing.

www.shiningseastudio.com

#8 jimj

jimj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

I checked my zoom gear. It does not state a model number. It has F.I.T., the lens and for Nexus housing on the label.
I looked back in my email log and found the following from Fun-In with the quote for the ring.

FIT zoom ring for Tokina 10-17 with Kenko 1.4X for NEXUS M6 port (D90 housing)
Mfr# ZG-T107K14-ATS

I suggest you email fun-in to get the correct gear for your housing.

#9 jimj

jimj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

I think I have figured it out. I contacted fun- in and they emailedback to say they will make up the gear to mesh with the Nexus housing gear. I have paid for it through paypal and they contacted me to say the have received the $ and will ship within a week. I guess all will be revealed when it arrives. Either it will work or it won't. I will let you know the final outcome if thats OK. Once again thank you very much for all of the effort you went to digging through your past email records.

jimj

#10 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:59 AM

Hi Jimj,

not much use to you now you have the FIT gear ordered but I use the Nexus gear for the Nikon 12-24 lens as per
Barry Guimbellots advice in- this thread
It has worked well for me and I was lucky to pick up a pre loved one from Reef Photo & Video.

BTW the port is not really relevant when choosing the gear, just the lens combo that matters.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#11 jimj

jimj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Happy New Year and many thanks to both diver dave1 and Jim Swims for your help and advice. Happy to say that I received my Teleconverter Zoom gear for my nexus housing. Your advice on getting the gear to fit was of tremendous help and worked a treat. Dealing with Fun -In UW photo Eaquipment was pretty smooth once I worked out how to place the order.

OK now that I have the gear I am ready to order the teleconverter. There are 2 different Kenko 1.4 teleconverters for sale.
1. The Kenko 1.4 teleplus mc4 DGX with a barrel length of 17mm
2The Kenko Pro 300 DGX with a barrel length of 27mm

Reading all of the literature the 300 pro is recommended for lens of 100mm or greater and has a barrel length of 27mm. The Tokina is 10-17. It would seem that the basic teleplus is the one to pick . As well the new gear is 20mm longer and seems more workable with the 17 mm barrel length of the teleplus than the 27mm barrel length of the 300 Pro

Can you please let me know if I am on the right track?.

Many thanks

jimj

#12 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:57 AM

I have the Kenko Pro 300 DGX. Cannot say if this is better or not. It was the one that seemed to be used by people here when I asked when setting up my kit.

www.shiningseastudio.com

#13 jimj

jimj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:51 PM

Thanks Diver Dave,

I guess my thinking was the length of the teleconverters with there being some 10mm difference between them. As we have the same housing ,lens and dome . I am using a Nikon D300. I am not sure which camera body you are using. I would think that there would be little difference overall in the total length from the camera-teleconverter-10-17 and small dome port with the 20 mm ring extension.

I have assembled the housing with the camera ,10-17 and dome port with the 20 extension ring. I have the lens zoomed to maximum length. Looking to see if there is at least 27mm more space. Seems there is at the furthest point on the dome. As it curves the distance shortens but seems like enough.

I will order 300pro and keep my fingers crossed. Once it arrives I will report back .

Thanks again jimj