9 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

Hello, everyone. I'm looking to build or purchase a comfortable sling for a 15cft contingency bottle to use with a rebreather. I know that many people advocate for larger pony bottles, but in this case, I am somewhat constrained by what the boat has.

Any advise on what to get?
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

DIY Rigging

Buy It

You will need to adjust to the smaller bottle size and also to your connection point on your rig.
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#3 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

Thank you, George. Very helpful.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#4 uwxplorer

uwxplorer

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

Which rebreather are you using?

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1751 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

I use a Halcyon 40cf rigging strap with a a smaller s/steel jubilee clip. The length of the strap is perfect with an aluminum pony bottle and it is very light.

The Halcyon strap is easy enough to DIY if you have the time/inclination:

http://www.maggieowe...om/scuba/stage/

As an aside, if you have the choice, chose an aluminum pony. The steel ones are very negative and much harder to use.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#6 Walt Stearns

Walt Stearns

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:Diving and underwater photography of course with a little rebreathers, cave diving, marine science and natural history thrown in.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:06 AM

Eric, I would strongly recommend that you use nothing smaller than 30 cu.ft. for you bail out for diving a rebreather. 19 cu.ft. is woefully inadequate for job unless you are in less than 33 feet of water, which in that case, your dil might be enough to get you to the surface.

As for sling systems for carrying off board gas, there are plenty to choose from Halcyon (which has been mentioned), Dive Rite, Oxycheq, Golem, Hollis, etc. In addition to the standard sling, I suggest also adding side mount bungee (used by cave divers using sidemount rigs instead of back mounted doubles) to hold the valve end of the tank up by your ribs, rather than have it drag in the dirt when you are in the water. There is plenty of discussions on this topic over at rebreatherworld.com.

Attached Images

• Priceless2.jpg

#7 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

Thanks, Walt. I'm not sure I'll have access to a 30 while I'm out; I may have to bring my own (which is never easy, these days).
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#8 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

One thing is good to keep in mind is that rebreathers gives you more bottom time without having to decompress, but when you bailout you are in open circuit, that changes your decompression obligation and maybe you need to decompress.

If you use a small bailout, you need to plan your diving as if you are diving with the equivalent nitrox in open circuit, in order to be able to go directly to surface on all time in the case of bailout.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by acuevas, 21 December 2011 - 06:39 AM.

Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#9 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:34 PM

I'd recommend using the DIY style rigging, though I've found it much more practical to replace the stainless steel band with a tank strap and camband. Doing this you can use almost any cylinder with the rigging and it's fairly light to travel with.

If I can't source the right size bailout cylinder, I'll usually just slap the rigging on a 80cf ally and deal with that. If doing shallow non-deco stuff, I'll just rely on my onboard dil as bailout (yes, I'm aware many say this is inadequate so please don't tell me how foolish I am).
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com

#10 GekoDiveBali

GekoDiveBali

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Photography
    Technical
    Sidemount
    Rebreather
    Drift
    Wreck

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

I'd follow Eagle Ray's reco and use an s80. IMO 15cf is not enough even for shallow dives.
By Cedric Saveuse for Geko Dive Bali
Padang Bai, Bali, Indonesia

info@gekodivebali.com