• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

I will have a chance to go to Belize for several weeks in March. Will be staying on a boat so I don't need accomodations. What are the best dive operators and/or local dive guides? What are the best places to go?

#2 BC-SeaDragon

BC-SeaDragon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Interests:DIVING!

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

I will have a chance to go to Belize for several weeks in March. Will be staying on a boat so I don't need accomodations. What are the best dive operators and/or local dive guides? What are the best places to go?

Hello,

I was there for a few weeks earlier this year. I was diving out of Caye Caulker with Frenchies. There is only a few dive shops on the very small island and none of them are overly fantastic. It was long boatrides to the outer reefs including the blue whole and because of this quite expensive. I think it was around 200 for a day trip with 3 dives. The diving closer to the island was alright but nothing to exciting. The blue hole is really nothing special either although we did have some grey reefs come in quite close. The dive's after the blue hole were very nice. Healthy corals and nice diversity of marine life and we had really good vis too.

Another place I would recommend that I missed out on was Placencia a bit further south. That time of year around the full moon you have good chances to see whale sharks feeding on the eggs of spawning jacks. I do not know any operators in that area but they are busy that time of year so you might want to send an email in advance. We did a howler monkey river tour out of Placencia and it was really fantactic also. Just take plenty of bug spray!!!!

Good luck

Kelly

#3 crubie

crubie

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:50 AM

I can confirm that Placencia is fantastic.
I used the dive shop from the Turtle Inn Resort who were very professional.

The star dives during that time of year are the whale shark dives in Gladden Spit. These are blue dives with whale Sharks and the best Time to go is right around the full moon (3-4 days before and after).
However one thing to keep in mind is that the boat ride from Placencia is 30-45 min sometimes more depending on sea conditions. Trips are usually for a full day. Gladden Spit is a protected marine area and they only allow a limited number of boat / divers in the area at any given time. Operators usually book on time slot in the morning and one in the afternoon and spend the downtimee moored at a nearby reef.

Fantastic experience ! Not to miss this time of year !
Christophe Rubie
chrisrubie@mac.com

Sony HDR-HC7
Amphibico Housing (Dive Buddy Evo)

#4 FrostyFins

FrostyFins

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

Avadon divers, Placencia, good boats, experienced professional dive outfit. My wife and I dove there last April and had a great time.

#5 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for all of the information. I will be going to Gladden Spit just after full moon. I will also be in Placencia as well as Turneffe.

#6 nathanm

nathanm

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

I just ended 3 weeks in Belize, diving with guides from Avadon Divers. They guides were great, as was the diving! Thanks for all the help!!