• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:24 AM

I borrowed one of the new Inon UFL150 ZM80 lenses from a friend today & took it for a dive with my canon S90/FIX housing combo. Once i got the zoom sorted & worked out that you don't put the camera into macro focus, just leave it on auto focus then i fired away.
All seemed well until i downloaded the photos & realized that the outside edges of nearly every shot is badly distorted. Some of the shots are upto probably 1/3 of the photo is distorted.
So my main question at the moment is, is anyone using this combo & if so on what settings?
Also, if you move the lenses closer & further from the front port does that make any difference?
I just had it screwed hard upto the front port.
Cheers Pete.

You can see in this photo, exactly what i am talking about.
Posted Image

Edited by bluefacemanta, 27 December 2011 - 02:58 AM.

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

PHOTO - Canon 7D-Nauticam Housing/60mm macro/10-22mm/twin Z240 strobes.
VIDEO - Panasonic HVX200/Gates Housing/EM43 Monitor/SWP44/L&M Sola 4000s.

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1461 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

I borrowed one of the new Inon UFL150 ZM80 lenses from a friend today & took it for a dive with my canon S90/FIX housing combo. Once i got the zoom sorted & worked out that you don't put the camera into macro focus, just leave it on auto focus then i fired away.
All seemed well until i downloaded the photos & realized that the outside edges of nearly every shot is badly distorted. Some of the shots are upto probably 1/3 of the photo is distorted.
So my main question at the moment is, is anyone using this combo & if so on what settings?
Also, if you move the lenses closer & further from the front port does that make any difference?
I just had it screwed hard upto the front port.
Cheers Pete.

You can see in this photo, exactly what i am talking about.
Posted Image

It is a fisheye lens. I am using the endoscope version with not such strange results. I would try shooting more toward the wide angle of your zoom range.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Hi Bill, thanks for that. If i use the camera on a wider setting then i get the black corners which i think is called vignetting? I wouldn't mind so much if the very outside edges were blurry but it is almost 2/3s the frame.
Maybe it can only be used for extremely close shots? Or shots where there is no background.
I have seen photos from these lenses that all the corners are sharp so maybe they have cropped them alot.
Cheers Pete.

#4 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:04 AM

I went out for another test dive today. This time i put the S90 in full zoom. That is 105mm i think.
I think it made a small difference but not much. You can still see the edges are quite distorted, but not as bad as the other shots i have taken.

Posted Image

Cheers Pete.