• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jayelwin

jayelwin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

Since the AF35 strobe will work with any case for the S100 is the ikelite worth it or go for the canon which is cheaper? i am getting rid of my 30d and ikelite with tamron fisheye because its just too big. Went diving today and i just had it with lugging it around.

-Josh

#2 philwat44@gmail.com

philwat44@gmail.com

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

1) You can fit wet lenses directly to the Ikelite housing. The Canon one needs an adapter
2) Ikelite has good service & spares availability for old housings. I don't know if this is true for the Canon housings.

I think the Ike is a better product & worth the small premium if you are diving with it regularly. My guess is the Canon is OK for more casual or infrequent use.

Phil

#3 jayelwin

jayelwin

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

1) You can fit wet lenses directly to the Ikelite housing. The Canon one needs an adapter
2) Ikelite has good service & spares availability for old housings. I don't know if this is true for the Canon housings.

I think the Ike is a better product & worth the small premium if you are diving with it regularly. My guess is the Canon is OK for more casual or infrequent use.

Phil

Seems like good advice. I see metal clips vs. plastic on the Canon too.
Anyone think the AF35 is a good inexpensive strobe. Seems the auto function should be good in theory.

#4 sgietler

sgietler

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:11 AM

exactly what Phil said, the ikelite housing is well worth the extra money, especially once you figure in adapter costs. It is also a lot less likely to flood in my experience. - Scott

#5 Yoav Lavi

Yoav Lavi

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:55 AM

exactly what Phil said, the ikelite housing is well worth the extra money, especially once you figure in adapter costs. It is also a lot less likely to flood in my experience. - Scott

Does your experience include these housings? two of my acquaintance have flooded their ikelite s90 housings recently due to cracks near the pivot bolt.

Edited by Yoav Lavi, 14 January 2012 - 04:56 AM.

#6 philwat44@gmail.com

philwat44@gmail.com

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have done several hundred dives with my Ikelite S90 housing & there is no sign of cracking (yet!). Admittedly that's only a sample size of one.

#7 Pete L

Pete L

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:40 PM

Have you looked at other housings? We have a canon S90 with an FIX housing & absolutely love the housing.
Worth every cent.
Cheers Pete.

My Vimeo page vimeo.com/user8157547

PHOTO - Canon 7D-Nauticam Housing/60mm macro/10-22mm/twin Z240 strobes.
VIDEO - Panasonic HVX200/Gates Housing/EM43 Monitor/SWP44/L&M Sola 4000s.

#8 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

The Canon housings are cheap for a reason - I know three people that have had issues with their Canon housings leaking - (2 x G10 and 1 x G12) so I think you are better off getting a good quality housing.

I have a Recsea on for my G12 and absolutely love it and you can get a similar for your camera.

Karl

Edited by Karl, 14 January 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#9 ghnouer

ghnouer

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:57 PM

The Canon housings are cheap for a reason - I know three people that have had issues with their Canon housings leaking - (2 x G10 and 1 x G12) so I think you are better off getting a good quality housing.

I have a Recsea on for my G12 and absolutely love it and you can get a similar for your camera.

Karl

During my last trip to Revillagigedo I saw two Ikelite leaking (S95/90 ? - crack near shutter).....I use a canon housing with no problems with my G11.

Here is the link of my last photos.

Flickr

GHN

Edited by ghnouer, 15 January 2012 - 01:58 PM.

Canon G11, Canon Housing, Inon Z240 (2x), ULCS

GHN

Visit My Website

#10 help

help

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

I have been using my Canon S90 OEM housing for about 100 dives and never had any issues with it.

#11 cheetohcat

cheetohcat

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:scuba, travel, photography, health/nutrition/fitness, sewing, shooting

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

I shoot the s90 and started with the Canon OEM housing for about 2 months...and quickly bought the FIX s90 housing. (The equivalent for the s100 is the Recsea s100 I think?) Several friends have also had leaks from the Canon G series OEM housings, so let's just say my faith was rocked.

No regrets - LOVE the better housing. I get full access to all controls in a beautifully machined precision aluminum housing. It's durable and works seamlessly with my UWA and macro lenses as well so you get a ton of flexibility in the system. The canon housing didn't feel very solid, and I hated that I didn't have control over the front and back wheels on the camera. As for the Ikelite, I played with before making a final decision. It was okay (felt a little better than the Canon) but there was no comparison with the Fix/Recsea aluminum housings IMHO.

In the end, it's all about what meets your needs and fits your budget. Good luck with your decision!

Edited by cheetohcat, 21 January 2012 - 10:55 PM.

Sony Nex 5n, Recsea housing/ports, 2x strobes, ring flash, Sola 600, BTS tray, UCLS arms

#12 bullshark

bullshark

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:58 AM

Since the AF35 strobe will work with any case for the S100 is the ikelite worth it or go for the canon which is cheaper? i am getting rid of my 30d and ikelite with tamron fisheye because its just too big. Went diving today and i just had it with lugging it around.

-Josh

Neither. I just had the Fix/Recsea housing in my hands, and it is beautiful. There is just no comparison to those plastic things. Fit and finish and 100% accessible controls. It was side by side with a Nauticam NA-LX5 and if the FIX name was not on the front you would have thought it was made by Nauticam. Same closures, buttons, finish and detail. Small, solid, and worth every penny.

#13 majmaj

majmaj

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

anyone try s100 with ikelite housing and UWL 04??
or anyone have any sugestion for ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle for ikelite housing??

#14 leepix

leepix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Ships, boats and diving

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

I shot Ikelite housings (about SIX different ones) for decades and only had one flood (not by operator error~). That said when issues with product quality occur, it is my experience that Ikelite stands behind their products and replaces camera if damaged. One has to be careful when unsnapping the hinges (see instructions) and I would assume hinged back plates of the newer models (I have not used).

That said I wanted a much smaller housing so I bought a Fisheye FIX for my S90 at a significantly higher cost. It is very well made and I think the hinge allows for more dependable alignment which was an issue with two piece Ikelite housings. The other key difference is that it connects to BOTH front and back rotating wheels while I believe the Ike only does one? That makes shooting much quicker.

THE problem with new Canons (S and G series) is they do NOT allow for autoflash exposuure when in manual which is what I shoot. The INON D2000 strobe gets around that in External Auto mode.

anyone try s100 with ikelite housing and UWL 04??
or anyone have any sugestion for ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) angle for ikelite housing??

I use the INON 100 WAL on my Fix housing and believe you can use in on Ike 67mm mount also

#15 KelnKelp

KelnKelp

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:51 AM

Anyone think the AF35 is a good inexpensive strobe. Seems the auto function should be good in theory.

Definitely go with the Ikelite or other. The biggest problem with the Canon IMO is that it doesn't allow for aperture control once the camera is in the housing (where as the ikelite does, through the knob on the front). The Ikelite is also better constructed. It includes a 67mm thread so you can easily add macro or wide angle lens without an adapter.

As for Strobe, I had the AF35 and it works well, but I'd advise against only because once you've started taking pictures and really want to get some better, or maybe add a wide angle lens to your set up, you'll start to see that you are very limited with the AF35. You can't pull it too far from the camera and its not the most powerful. I would say spend the few extra bucks to get a slightly nicer strobe, otherwise you'll end up like me and spend the $$ on the first, then spend the $$ again for the new strobe!!! :lol: