• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jasoncassanova

Jasoncassanova

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 08:20 AM

Happy New Year everyone :) I just want to have another person's point of view in my situation right now...

I have a G11 Ikelite underwater set up with a single DS 160... Now I'm planning to move on to DLSR and I got myself a D7000, my dilemma right now is that, if I should get another DS 160 strobe together with a Ikelite housing for the D7000 or if I should get a Nauticam/Aquatica housing, sell my previous set up and go for a pair of YS 110 strobes.

The reason for going with the aluminum housing is...

a. weight of the Ikelite housing
b. from what i've noticed is that Sea and Sea strobes give a sharper lighting compared to Ikelite based on the pictures i've seen (I could be wrong)
c. ergonomics of the Ikelite housing

The reason for going with the polycarbonate housing...

a. cheaper by half the price
b. i already have one DS 160 strobe and I just need to get one more
c. financially practical

what do you guys think?

Neil.

#2 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

Just my opinion, but I have owned both Ikelite and Aquatica housings and have owned Sea and Sea YS-90's (the predecessor to the ys-110) and Ikelite DS-125 (the predecessor to the DS-160).

a. The weight. An aluminum housing will only weigh about 1 pound less than the Ikelite. I know this for a fact, I owned both at the same time and weighed them on my postal scale. Everyone kept telling me how much less aluminum housings weigh and it's just not much difference.

b. Lighting. The DS-125's put out much more usable light than YS-90's and I believe the same is true of the DS-160 vs. YS-110. The guide number of the DS-160 and YS-110 is the same but I think most people will say the DS-160 is more powerful. In any case, I don't think selling your DS-160 and buying a YS-110 to replace it is going to benefit you. In addition, the recycle rate on the DS-160 is faster than the YS-110; important if you need to shoot several action shots in a row with a full dump.

c. Ergonomics. The Ikelite is a great deal for the money. The aluminum housings are superior in terms of ergonomics. This is a bigger deal than I thought it would be. My Aquatica housing is just easier to use in all circumstances.

IF you go with the Ikelite housing, you definitely want to stick with the DS-160 because TTL is built in to the system.

IF weight is an issue for you, you might consider selling your DS-160 and getting Inon Z-240's instead since they are much smaller and lighter. Again, most people feel the DS-160 has better coverage and the color temperature is better for wide angle shots than the Z-240, but you can't deny the Inons are a very impressive strobe.. The YS-110 and DS-160 are pretty close to the same size and weight, I think the YS-110 is just a bit lighter. The Z-240 is about 1 1/2 lbs. lighter than the DS-160, so 3 pounds savings on a pair. Just realize whatever you do, a housing with camera inside and an an 8" dome, two strobes and two 8" arms on each side plus clamps and cables is going to be pushing 16-20 pounds out of the water.

Whatever you do, the resulting photos from your D7000 vs. the G11 should make you very happy. :)

good luck,
John

Edited by johnspierce, 28 December 2011 - 09:37 AM.

Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#3 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

I think that metal housings are all about ergonomics and positive controls. My Ikelite worked just fine but the boxy feel bugged me so I purchased a metal housing (Sea Tool) and I love it. Is it worth it? My experience is that the cost will negate upgrading to a newer rig.

I also moved to fibreoptic strobe connections and this was a big deal. Essentially nothing can go wrong with the connections. The Inon Z-240 strobes are simply bulletproof.

So, my advive is that IF you move to a metal case get a pair of Z-240 strobes and sell the DS-160.

In deciding which path to choose consider how long you are willing to wait to upgrade. It is AT LEAST $1500-$2000 more for a metal housing every time you upgrade. I would not leave Ikelite because of the strobes. My DS-125's had better bouyancy and warmer color than the Z-240s

If you do upgrade is should be because you love the precision surfaces and controls of a metal housing. It is a joy to assemble and use......but it will not take better pictures.

#4 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

My DS-125's had better bouyancy and warmer color than the Z-240s

Hi Tom,

So you are saying the DS-125's were more positive or more negative than the Z-240's? I've considered going to the Z-240's at some point because of fiber optic connections and the small size, but I had thought they are more positively buoyant?

My Aquatica with the DS-125's is quite negative, particularly with a flat port and the 105mm macro lens -- I use 6 STIX floats to get it to an acceptable level of buoyancy. No big deal though, with the STIX floats it works great.

thanks,
John
Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#5 Jasoncassanova

Jasoncassanova

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:25 PM

Just my opinion, but I have owned both Ikelite and Aquatica housings and have owned Sea and Sea YS-90's (the predecessor to the ys-110) and Ikelite DS-125 (the predecessor to the DS-160).

a. The weight. An aluminum housing will only weigh about 1 pound less than the Ikelite. I know this for a fact, I owned both at the same time and weighed them on my postal scale. Everyone kept telling me how much less aluminum housings weigh and it's just not much difference.

b. Lighting. The DS-125's put out much more usable light than YS-90's and I believe the same is true of the DS-160 vs. YS-110. The guide number of the DS-160 and YS-110 is the same but I think most people will say the DS-160 is more powerful. In any case, I don't think selling your DS-160 and buying a YS-110 to replace it is going to benefit you. In addition, the recycle rate on the DS-160 is faster than the YS-110; important if you need to shoot several action shots in a row with a full dump.

c. Ergonomics. The Ikelite is a great deal for the money. The aluminum housings are superior in terms of ergonomics. This is a bigger deal than I thought it would be. My Aquatica housing is just easier to use in all circumstances.

IF you go with the Ikelite housing, you definitely want to stick with the DS-160 because TTL is built in to the system.

IF weight is an issue for you, you might consider selling your DS-160 and getting Inon Z-240's instead since they are much smaller and lighter. Again, most people feel the DS-160 has better coverage and the color temperature is better for wide angle shots than the Z-240, but you can't deny the Inons are a very impressive strobe.. The YS-110 and DS-160 are pretty close to the same size and weight, I think the YS-110 is just a bit lighter. The Z-240 is about 1 1/2 lbs. lighter than the DS-160, so 3 pounds savings on a pair. Just realize whatever you do, a housing with camera inside and an an 8" dome, two strobes and two 8" arms on each side plus clamps and cables is going to be pushing 16-20 pounds out of the water.

Whatever you do, the resulting photos from your D7000 vs. the G11 should make you very happy. :)

good luck,
John

thank you for your precise point of view... i really appreciate it a lot :)

I think that metal housings are all about ergonomics and positive controls. My Ikelite worked just fine but the boxy feel bugged me so I purchased a metal housing (Sea Tool) and I love it. Is it worth it? My experience is that the cost will negate upgrading to a newer rig.

I also moved to fibreoptic strobe connections and this was a big deal. Essentially nothing can go wrong with the connections. The Inon Z-240 strobes are simply bulletproof.

So, my advive is that IF you move to a metal case get a pair of Z-240 strobes and sell the DS-160.

In deciding which path to choose consider how long you are willing to wait to upgrade. It is AT LEAST $1500-$2000 more for a metal housing every time you upgrade. I would not leave Ikelite because of the strobes. My DS-125's had better bouyancy and warmer color than the Z-240s

If you do upgrade is should be because you love the precision surfaces and controls of a metal housing. It is a joy to assemble and use......but it will not take better pictures.

thanks tom... i now have a clearer point of view in my situation :dance: