7 replies to this topic

#1 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:08 AM

Hi

I am plannning a trip to Socorro next year what is the best time??

Rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#2 cozumeldogs

cozumeldogs

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:47 AM

Hi

I am plannning a trip to Socorro next year what is the best time??

Rob

Best time varies depending on what you want to see. I like the first trips when they open up in Nov. Likely encounters with whale sharks, mantas, hammerheads etc and the water is still warm (low 80-high 70's though you might hit some thermoclines). Getting in Jan onward you will see the humpback whales from the boat and if lucky while diving though I think thats not too common. Of course hearing them underwater is nice. Water is cooler at this time. You will also have encounters with mantas dolphin and various species of sharks. I can't talk about the spring months since i never was there then.

#3 eikojnz

eikojnz

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

I was there over Christmas. Saw tons of mantas, lots of galapagos and silky sharks. Quite a few hammies and a few schools of dolphins. water was cooler and not the best vis some dives. But incredible anyway. Whale sharks started showing up at Roca partida on the next trip.

#4 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

I just returned from Soccorro last night. The trip ran from Jan 26 - Feb 3 and this seemed like a great time to visit. The weather was excellent, with temps of about 75F both above and below water. We did see Humpbacks from the boat, and frequently heard them singing under water. Certainly no shortage of Mantas and we saw large schools of Galapagos, Hammerheads, and dolphins who were eager to play with the divers. I was really blown away by this trip, and for me it was even better than Cocos last year.

[vimeohd]36180863[/vimeohd]

#5 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Resurrecting this thread. Anyone been in Feb/Mar? I know Bonnie Pelnar likes early April...

Thanks,

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#6 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2285 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

Been there a bunch of times between Jan and May.

I'd go with March. Never been there early in the season.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#7 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

I was there this March. The visibility was not ideal for photography. Weather was cool, windy, hence some sites were not available. Water temps were chilly. You'll need a 5mm with hooded vest or 7mm with hood.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#8 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

I was there over Xmas. Pretty decent but the water was rocking. Just getting into the skiffs took acrobatic balance.
steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.