External monitor for 5D MKII and 7D

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Tec diving, Cave diving, UW photography and videography.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

Hy,

I am looking to purchase external monitor for my Canon 7D and Aquatica A7D housing. I was looking into new Sony CLM-V55 with Wahoo housing but that monitor has issue with 5D and 7D cameras. When you start recording it shrinks the screen and cant scale it up! Does anybody know the solution for that problem?

Thank you

Canon 7D, Aquatica housing, 2 x Inon Z240, Canon 16-35 f2.8, Tokina 10-17, Canon 100mm macro, 2x Inon LE550W, 2xMangrove 4L6 lights

- Vimeo Channel -

#2 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:07 PM

Hi Alexx,
The monitor does not shrink the screen, it drops the resolution. As it is already a 480p monitor, I didn't find this to be a problem. Would be happy answer specifics if needed. Overall, it is far better then any options on the native camera LCD.
Cheers
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#3 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

Hey Shawn,
Would you have recommendations for the 7D and the Nauticam housing?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#4 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

I would say the same. They make one for the Nauticam now. I honestly believe this is a game changer for Video work!

Wahoo HD - Nauticam
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#5 kkfok

kkfok

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:22 PM

I think Nauticam will release its housing for SmallHD DP4 monitor soon. How does it compare with CLM-V55?

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

If it is not released yet, we would have no way of knowing.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1751 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:04 AM

Both monitors have been released and if anyone has experience with both of them I would be interested to hear too. I will be diving the Nauticam NA-DP4 soon, and will post my findings.

A head to head comparison between the monitors would be good too though...

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#8 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

We set up both monitors on the same feed to illustrate SmallHD DSLR Scale.. This is shot with a Nikon D300s, and we will reshoot with Canon asap.

The actual image display w/ DSLR Scale on SmallHD activated is about 20% larger, even though the screen is smaller. Shooting data is lost, but I believe this is less of a problem on Canon. One of the short cut buttons can be assigned to toggle between DSLR Scale and the normal display.

Posted Image

There should be a formal release about the Nauticam Housing for SmallHD DP4 this week. The major advantage of this housing is that the HDMI Cable can be easily disconnected from the housing. All cables in the system are properly shielded with over molded strain reliefs.

founder of Reef Photo & Video
manufacturer of Zen Domes

distributor of Nauticam in the Americas

n2theblue at reefphoto.com

#9 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

Why such a huge color difference of the same subject between the two monitors shown?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#10 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

I used a small HD on a job just before Christmas and the colour was a little off. I was shooting with a Z7 and just couldn't get the monitor to look the same as the LCD. I then tried it with a Canon XHA1 and had the same issue. It isn't a massive problem if you can check the camera LCD or even if you just know how it is different. Other than that I really like the monitor and would purchase one. Never used the Sony so can't compare.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#11 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:51 PM

Neither had any color calibration, they were just plugged in and shot. As with any monitor, you should adjust color balance to match the cam. Interesting to note that Sony is set to 100% brightness here, and smallhd the default 50%, but that is for another comparison.

#12 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

For colour balance & calibration try the Marshall V-LCD651STX-HDI. Cost quite a bit more than the Sony but if the footage is critical then it is a really a no brainer. Now who makes a housing for that :B):

cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#13 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

That's an outdoor monitor for topside work. I have the 5" version and it is quite good but would be nice to have one that was for underwater work like the Nauticam.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#14 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1751 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hi all,

The Nauticam monitor NA-DP4 is the SmallHD DP4 monitor in a housing.

Full monitor specs are here:

http://www.smallhd.c...oducts/DP4.html

The Wahoo is also a housing for the Sony CLM-V55:

http://presscentre.s...mp;NewsAreaID=2

In both cases, the housings and the monitors are purchased separately.

I don't know of anyone planning to produce a housing for the Marshall. I think the price of the monitor may make them unfeasible.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#15 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:10 PM

I have the Marshall V-LCD50-HDMI 5 and would love to be able to put it in a housing for the Nauticam. Guess I am out of luck.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#16 Alexx

Alexx

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Tec diving, Cave diving, UW photography and videography.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

It would be nice that someone makes housing for Marshall in near future.

In the meantime Ryan do you have comparison record/live view of Sony CLM-V55 on a Canon 7D? I am very interested to see how much is picture shrink-ed when you start recording?

Canon 7D, Aquatica housing, 2 x Inon Z240, Canon 16-35 f2.8, Tokina 10-17, Canon 100mm macro, 2x Inon LE550W, 2xMangrove 4L6 lights

- Vimeo Channel -

#17 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:12 AM

7D doesn't shrink or lose sync between standby and record.

Here is a comparison of Sony CL-V55 and SmallHD DP4 with Canon 7D. DP4 is set to the Canon Preset DSLR Scale.

Posted Image

#18 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:27 AM

I was wondering. If someone already owned one of the monitors, would it be possible to get the housing for it separately?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#19 Ryan

Ryan

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hi Steve,

The monitor will be sold separately, and price (including cable and hdmi bulkhead) is planned to be $1300.

Here is a photo of the latest prototype installed on 7D (dslr scale is not activated):

Posted Image

and Panasonic GH2:

Posted Image

The cable routing is currently being revised to reduce the bump on the bottom, and use the profile of the monitor housing to protect the strain relief. Hopefully I'll have some photos of that in early Feb, and will be shipping monitors shortly thereafter.

Edited by Ryan, 20 January 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#20 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:46 PM

Hi Ryan
Will the housing have some kind of removable shade for viewing in bright sun??
Mark