I've had my Nikon D200 for years (for above water photography) and am looking to upgrade to a newer model within the next year or so. I'm wondering whether, at my stage as a noobie (both as a diver and an u/w photographer), I should buy a housing for my D200 so that it still has a purpose after I upgrade or should I buy something smaller and cheaper.
Argument for/against D200:
- Better pics?
- I'd rather not see the D200 go to waste when I upgrade
- ISO performance doesn't seem as good as newer generations - considering the low-light nature of u/w photography, is this a problem?
- Faster focus/shutter speed
- Housing itself is probably more expensive than digicam housing+strobe
- Bulky (I like to travel to dive destinations)
- Since flooding seems inevitable, the case would go to waste once the D200 is flooded since I doubt I'd buy another D200 to replace it
- Simpler setup/equipment for a beginner
- Easier to physically manage due to smaller size
- Maybe not much room for growth as an u/w photographer?