• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:00 AM

I am planning a batch off the little strobe below. But i need to know if there is anyone interested in such a device before i order all the parts that i need.
It is not my intension to make a commercial product!
Please send me a mail if so. (triggerfish@telenet.be) I will keep you informed then about the progress off the first batch. (also designed the triggerfish).
Price would be prox. 70 euro. So if i get a enough response i will make a batch. 3 WP-members are testing the strobe as we speak.

Specs:
up controlled, supply 2x CR2032, low battery warning, hot-shoe with spring contact,
goes to sleep so no battery consumption when not used (battery's can stay in)
red LEDS, (2 cd/led), can be bent to the fibbers, those not needed can be cut off, frame rate 10 fs.
Works only manual with all DSLR camera’s Nikon and Canon. Delivered in a little plastic box.
Also be aware that there is enough space above your camera.

post_11074_1321813036.jpg

post_11074_1321813047.jpg

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

I think one of the best uses for a gadget like this is for cameras that don't have a built in flash (such as the 5D Mk2 or new D4). So that you could use fibre synched strobes with them. Of course this would only be possible of housing manufacturers provided the optical connectors on the housing.
In fact it would be most sensible if the housing manufacturers ordered a batch of these from you - and then supplied them with their housings (for non-built in flash cameras) and then could also build in optical synch ports as standard too.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:06 AM

triggerfish@telenet.be is not in use anymore!!!!

contact me at hedwig.dieraert@telenet.be

#4 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:50 AM

:( :( triggerfish@telenet.be is back in use !!!

#5 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Finally the “mini led strobe” unit is ready!
The manual is available: http://www.owfotogra...LedStrobeV2.pdf
This is still a limited hobby project !!!!!!

MLSwp.jpg

Edited by owfotograaf, 11 March 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#6 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Finally the “mini led strobe” unit is ready!
The manual is available: http://www.owfotogra...LedStrobeV2.pdf
This is still a limited hobby project !!!!!!

and for those who have not a welding iron, this version:
DSC_5296xs.jpg

#7 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

I have a 7D. I was thinking that the internal camera battery can get drained fairly quickly when the integral flash is used for every shot. I'd think that this device would allow me to use the camera with the flash-down to save the camera battery and eliminate the recharge time of the internal flash. What do you think? Is there a recharge/recycle time for this micro strobe? How long will the batteries last?

#8 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

I have a 7D. I was thinking that the internal camera battery can get drained fairly quickly when the integral flash is used for every shot. I'd think that this device would allow me to use the camera with the flash-down to save the camera battery and eliminate the recharge time of the internal flash. What do you think? Is there a recharge/recycle time for this micro strobe? How long will the batteries last?

Just switch your internal flash to manual and go down to the minimum power level. Gets you about 3fps according to Gudge, which will outpace most optical strobes.

Otara

#9 JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

Just switch your internal flash to manual and go down to the minimum power level. Gets you about 3fps according to Gudge, which will outpace most optical strobes.

Otara

Thanks. I'll try that.

My strobe is a S&S YS-110a. I understand it mimics the pop-up for TTL exposure. If I reduce the setting of the pop-up will the strobe's output be reduced too?

Edited by JohnnyQuest, 16 March 2012 - 05:02 AM.

#10 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:40 PM

Thanks. I'll try that.

My strobe is a S&S YS-110a. I understand it mimics the pop-up for TTL exposure. If I reduce the setting of the pop-up will the strobe's output be reduced too?

Yes, you'll have to switch to manual on the strobe, same as for the micro strobe. But then you can make the power output whatever you need it to be, it simply acts as a trigger for the strobe to fire.

Otara

#11 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:24 AM

Is there a recharge/recycle time for this micro strobe? How long will the batteries last?

No recycle time, follows my D7000 at 6f/s, and battery last over 10.000 flashes with 4 LEDs attached.
After each flash the device gos to sleep, so no power consumption!

#12 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1513 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:37 PM

No recycle time, follows my D7000 at 6f/s, and battery last over 10.000 flashes with 4 LEDs attached.
After each flash the device gos to sleep, so no power consumption!

I just received mine and it works fine for Inon strobes but not at all (even directly coupled to the fiber) with S&S strobes. Any ideas (maybe white LEDs or ones with more power).

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#13 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:06 AM

I just received mine and it works fine for Inon strobes but not at all (even directly coupled to the fiber) with S&S strobes. Any ideas (maybe white LEDs or ones with more power).

Bill

Hi Bill,
the YS250 and YS110 works fine with one led at 100mm distance! You are sure the slave knob is "on" so the optical sensor is active?
The Inons don't have this knob, just a cap to put the sensor in the dark.

It is also very important that the leds are in a straight line with the fiber that is brought trough the housing! If you have a angle between led and fiber it wont work.
Nauticam uses mirrors to solve that problem with the housings where the fibers go trough the housing at the top and not at the front (in straight line)

Hedwig.

Edited by owfotograaf, 27 March 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#14 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1513 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi Bill,
the YS250 and YS110 works fine with one led at 100mm distance! You are sure the slave knob is "on" so the optical sensor is active?
The Inons don't have this knob, just a cap to put the sensor in the dark.

It is also very important that the leds are in a straight line with the fiber that is brought trough the housing! If you have a angle between led and fiber it wont work.
Nauticam uses mirrors to solve that problem with the housings where the fibers go trough the housing at the top and not at the front (in straight line)

Hedwig.

No happiness with any LED placement that I can figure out. The internal camera strobe fires the S&S strobes (YS01 and 110a) and the miniled fires the Inons but nothing so far for the S&S.
Any ideas greatly appreciated. This is in a Nauticam housing (7D) and the LEDs are pointing straight at the prism in the housing best I can tell.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#15 DerekB

DerekB

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Interests:Freediving, climbing, gymnastics, hiking, Shark diving, photography, mnt boarding, surf photography.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

I was looking at getting the 5d mk iii, until I discovered it lacks an on camera flash. I'm personally too in love with F/o sync. So if nauticam will make an option for F/O this is exactly what I need!!

#16 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:55 AM

No happiness with any LED placement that I can figure out. The internal camera strobe fires the S&S strobes (YS01 and 110a) and the miniled fires the Inons but nothing so far for the S&S.
Any ideas greatly appreciated. This is in a Nauticam housing (7D) and the LEDs are pointing straight at the prism in the housing best I can tell.
Bill

Hi Bill, leds with a bigger angle have been sent to you. I think when the prism is lighted over larger area the fiber will receive more light for the Sea&Sea's ti trigger.

#17 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1513 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Hi Bill, leds with a bigger angle have been sent to you. I think when the prism is lighted over larger area the fiber will receive more light for the Sea&Sea's ti trigger.

An update is in order. Hedwig has been very helpful in getting this to work. With the Inon strobes there is no problem at all the S2000 and the Z240 all trigger perfectly with the LED trigger. The S&S require a lot more light and the spacing on the board that Hedwig made has the two LED exactly at an inappropriate spacing. Getting LEDs with the same power but a larger viewing angle and putting the LED right on top of the Nauticam prism has solved the problem. It is a bit fiddly to get aligned right but now is working rather well. We did 2 dives last weekend with it and I am taking it to PNG in two weeks. Pictures from the dives soon.

Bill

Bill
www.blueviews.net

#18 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

An update is in order. Hedwig has been very helpful in getting this to work. With the Inon strobes there is no problem at all the S2000 and the Z240 all trigger perfectly with the LED trigger. The S&S require a lot more light and the spacing on the board that Hedwig made has the two LED exactly at an inappropriate spacing. Getting LEDs with the same power but a larger viewing angle and putting the LED right on top of the Nauticam prism has solved the problem. It is a bit fiddly to get aligned right but now is working rather well. We did 2 dives last weekend with it and I am taking it to PNG in two weeks. Pictures from the dives soon.
Bill

I confirm that it is not easy to use the mini led strobe with the mirrors used in several housings. If you can hit the fiber directly, it works OK.
Also the fiber cables from Sea&Sea use already 2 mirrors inside. So, the amount of led light is reduced by that.
Inon cables don't have that problem and the strobes sensor is more sensible than the Sea&Sea strobes.
It is not possible to find leds (5mm) that have a larger output then 8cd by 15°.
grtz, Hedwig.

#19 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

Could you expand on the S&S cables please, what do you mean by mirrors in the cables?

My experience is also that YS110 is a bit insensitive. I've also built a mini strobe , and alignment is really important. Actually in the end it worked better than the cameraflash? I used a laser to get all power in the right spot, but have since used LED with equal success. Note that you can overdrive the current through the LED a lot because of the short duration of the flash. Key is not to widen the LED output, but to align with the fibre properly.

I also attributed some of my sensitivity problem to the version, YS110 not alpha seemed to have some trigger issues prompting the version upgrade. But yor experience seem to indicate it's still the case.

Cheers
/O

I confirm that it is not easy to use the mini led strobe with the mirrors used in several housings. If you can hit the fiber directly, it works OK.
Also the fiber cables from Sea&Sea use already 2 mirrors inside. So, the amount of led light is reduced by that.
Inon cables don't have that problem and the strobes sensor is more sensible than the Sea&Sea strobes.
It is not possible to find leds (5mm) that have a larger output then 8cd by 15°.
grtz, Hedwig.

#20 owfotograaf

owfotograaf

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:18 AM

Could you expand on the S&S cables please, what do you mean by mirrors in the cables?

Maybe they use mirrors in the grey 90° part, to make the short turn ???????

index.jpeg