• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

Any views on the new G1X as UW camera? Canon will make a hosing for it.

I'd like to have a large sensor compact with the increased ISO and lower S/N as underwater camera. However, I want a housing
that also permits a WA wet lens to be added so the question is really how the price for camera+ housing + WA-lens compares to the alternatives.

I suspect that not all current WA lens options will work to as the larger sensor and optics will require proportionally larger WA-lenses in order not to vignette too much. Is this a correct assumption, and what current WA lenses could work?

Other thoughts about this camera?

Edited by oskar, 10 January 2012 - 04:37 AM.

#2 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:56 AM

I'd like to have a large sensor compact with the increased ISO and lower S/N as underwater camera. However, I want a housing
that also permits a WA wet lens to be added so the question is really how the price for camera+ housing + WA-lens compares to the alternatives.

I suspect that not all current WA lens options will work to as the larger sensor and optics will require proportionally larger WA-lenses in order not to vignette too much. Is this a correct assumption, and what current WA lenses could work?

I personally think this is a fantastic camera and it's good to see Canons entry to the market has been a great one. I'll almost definitely be getting this camera for sure - I wonder how fast to focus it is? But awesome big sensor, 4 shots per second, more than f-stop 8 hopefully and me being able to stay loyal to canon are huge points for me upgrading from my trusty little G11 which has focus speed and limited aperture range issues for me. I wonder how expensive this thing will be in NZ, though?

As for the WA lens options mate, I bought a Dyron 0.3x WA lens with the 67mm attachment for my G11 housing and it's just fucked. It doesn't provide crisp images at all. I might actually email the folks who sold it to me because it just doesn't work and I'm at a loss to figure out how it does.
UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#3 Stephen H.

Stephen H.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

I havn't upgraded since purchasing a G10 a number of years ago. While I had planned to wait until I could upgrade to a DSLR in a couple of years, this camera has me very interested.

Sorry to hear that your Dyron wet lens didn't work...Are you using the MACRO mode on the camera? I have used a Dyron WA lens with great results. Much, much happier with the Dyron product than the Fisheye lens for the Canon G10 housing...which I found to flare/reflect so badly as to be completely useless.

Steve
Steve, www.holinskiphoto.smugmug.com
Canon G10, S&S YS110a, Inon UCL165

#4 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:07 PM

I was thinking of put my pair of G10's up for sale, looks like I was to late...........
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#5 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

WA is an absolute requirement for me, so I keep my fingers crossed for that. Unfortunately it's probably going to exclude the canon housing as they usually don't have threads for them, but who knows maybe they introduce a new line of more versatile housings like for example Olympus has. Any pics out on the housings btw?

Cheers
//O

#6 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

according to dpreview the closest it can focus is 20cm.
s90,s95,G11,G12 can focus like 1cm.
Is the sensor size really affected the focusing distance??
D7000 + 60mm D + Ikelite + Sola 800 + LaLuz 800 x2
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Casually Wet & Deep in Conversation
Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#7 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

No, it is strictly a matter of optical design.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#8 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

Under accessories they show an UW case but no auxiliary lenses.

The 28 mm wide angle makes a custom designed wide angle conversion lens probably necessary to get sharp wide angle.

Cannon
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#9 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:12 AM

How can it only focus to 20 centimetres?? Is that normal???
How can you get around that? I mean, I have two stackable Inons but c'mon, 20 centimetres is just shite :S
And a lot of people are talking about the crap focal range of the lens but I'm a little confused about what it really means. help?
UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#10 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

it lacks a super close focus so called "macro" focus mode.

The lens cannot focus any closer.

Your inon's will work perfectly.
Don Erway

#11 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

it lacks a super close focus so called "macro" focus mode.

The lens cannot focus any closer.

Your inon's will work perfectly.

Oh Canon.
I waited for you to bring out something like this before upgrading from my Canon G11 and you've brought out a fantastic all-round camera that...
Can't do macro.
*Sigh*
Maybe the EP3 is for me unless those stackable macros can give me a decent close-up focus measure.

#12 nudibranco

nudibranco

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:clear waters for WA and small critters ! Beach diving

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

This camera could be an interesting Underwater Camera but its Macro capability seems to be far from being a viable option.
It has a magnification factor of about 0.07 ....far from being able to do Macro size pictures. Even an optional diopter (even a +10) will give a magnification below 1:2 or 1:3 so not likely to give you very detailed Nudibranch pics.

For WA some addon option may be available but it will be hard to find one that will vignette.

The M43 lineup is much better suited for Underwater use.

Andrea

#13 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

and you've brought out a fantastic all-round camera that...
Can't do macro.

Compact camera macro modes are not all equal. Most of them lately, including the nikon p7100, only work at extreme wide angle, and 'allow' you to get up to within 1cm.

But they require you to get within 1cm, which means no meaningful macro of things outside of your housing port, and no macro on land of things that can get scared and run away.

The ep3 kit zoom lenses are no better, than the g1x zoom lens.

In either case, they will work great with an underwater add on diopter. Which is really required by most any compact camera...
Don Erway

#14 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Compact camera macro modes are not all equal. Most of them lately, including the nikon p7100, only work at extreme wide angle, and 'allow' you to get up to within 1cm.

But they require you to get within 1cm, which means no meaningful macro of things outside of your housing port, and no macro on land of things that can get scared and run away.

The ep3 kit zoom lenses are no better, than the g1x zoom lens.

In either case, they will work great with an underwater add on diopter. Which is really required by most any compact camera...

Alright, so given I have double M67s I will be able to get withinnnn how much? :D
Yay, you have given fresh lust to my G1X fantasy my friend.
And I am sick of bitches whining about a bit of lack of fast apertures at zoom. they need to work around zees :D
Maybe just like me and my macro haha

#15 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:39 PM

Canon Gxx housings never seem to have a threaded port, so you can't add lenses directly. Is there a good workaround or should you aim for a third party housing?

I suspect that all the major housing manufacurers will support this camera though.

Myself, i don't care about fast aperture at zoom either, just as long as there is a UWA-option that is reasonably fast. :-)

/O

Alright, so given I have double M67s I will be able to get withinnnn how much? :D
Yay, you have given fresh lust to my G1X fantasy my friend.
And I am sick of bitches whining about a bit of lack of fast apertures at zoom. they need to work around zees :D
Maybe just like me and my macro haha

#16 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

Canon Gxx housings never seem to have a threaded port, so you can't add lenses directly. Is there a good workaround or should you aim for a third party housing?

I suspect that all the major housing manufacurers will support this camera though.

Myself, i don't care about fast aperture at zoom either, just as long as there is a UWA-option that is reasonably fast. :-)

/O

Yeah bro, I ended up buying a Dyron 67mm threaded adaptor for the DC34 housing so I'm sure it can be done :D
Will Nauticam give the capability?

#17 nikitich

nikitich

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:22 AM

looked at G1X too. Looks likeautofocus speed is in P&S league :(

#18 JohnSu

JohnSu

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:48 AM

Joe from Fun-In Taiwan posted some macro shots on his facebook page which were apparently taken with the G1X + some added macro lenses (diopters)

https://www.facebook...3...2368&type=3

They look good (although with a very small DOF) and he wrote they are NOT cropped.

I have asked for more specific details on the lenses, but have not received a reply yet.

#19 renep

renep

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

I own a G10 and I've been using a G12, the focus speed is what is driving me away from the G series.

I tried the G1X in a well lighted room with a lot of constrats and the focus was not especially fast. In fact, I don't know if it's any faster than my G10.

The camera also seemed to be underpowered in the processing department. It's not quick. :drink:
Rene Potvin

BTW I am presently going from Miami to Montreal on a kayak, you can follow me on my blog at http://miami2montreal.wordpress.com/
Do subscribe, I need the numbers for my sponsors, thanks!

www.renepotvin.com

#20 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:31 AM

I agree about the lack of focusing and processing speed. I was thinking about picking up the G1X for a trip to Italy but the shutter lag and the focusing speed is still below par for me. They need to eliminate shutter lag once and for all... Otherwise these mirrorless bodies from Sony and Panasonic are going to mop up the floor with them.