• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scotttyd

Scotttyd

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:25 PM

My mom told me she has a vivitar 75-200 mm f4.5 lens. I am looking at buying either a nikon or a canon dslr - she used this lens on a pentax camera. Any chance in hades this would mate with either a canon or nikon? I know it has no real underwater usage - and not that I am planning on using at such, but if it is of any use and /or value - it may swing me one way or the other.

If it does not mate with one of those camera - any idea as to what value it has to sell?

#2 Bentoni

Bentoni

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Photojournalism, UW photography, travel, cigars

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

You don't say in your post whether this lens is for the current Pentax 'K' mount or the older thread mount that Pentax used many years ago. A few manufacturers made adapters that would allow you to attach this lens to a Nikon, but with no communication with the camera. You would be able to focus, zoom and shoot manually, but you would have to meter with the lens aperture in what was called "stop-down" mode. The aperture would remain closed to the current setting even between shots. Your viewfinder image would darken as you closed the aperture and critical focus would become difficult. Depending on the age of your lens, these adapters could vary scarce.

I hope this helps.

Randall
See my work at:
www.randallbenton.com

#3 Scotttyd

Scotttyd

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

thanks for the info - the lens is pretty old - at least from the early to mid 90's (I remember using the camera when I was in High School and I graduated in 1996. It sounds like it would not be something I would make a decision based on getting this lens free - if it works - great, if not - oh well.

#4 Scotttyd

Scotttyd

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:08 PM

and I have no idea what kind of mount it has - it is over 1000 miles away at my mother's house - but does the age of the lens give that away?