• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eyeguy

eyeguy

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

After several years with a Canon G10 in FIX housing (which I plan to sell BTW), I have upgraded to a Nikon D7000 in a Nauticam housing with a 45 degree magnifying viewfinder. I have not yet gotten the system wet yet but having been playing with it topside first. I have a simple question: With the camera in the housing I cannot tell what mode I have selected (M, A, or S). I can hit the info but and it brings it up on the LCD, but the 45 degree viewfinder obstructs part of the LCD and I have to tilt the housing to see it. Is there a way in the shooting menu to make the D7000 display the shooting mode in the viewfinder? I will be in the pool with it next week to start working on my skills and just trying to get as proficient as possible beforehand so I can make that pool session as productive as possible. My next time to practice with the camera after the pool session next week will be in Fiji in less than a month!

#2 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

I just picked up my D7000 a couple of days ago. I haven't seen any way to do what you want. The one feature I have discovered which I like, is that you can "programme" the on/off/light switch to turn the info screen on by triggering the light setting.

It won't get the info into the viewfinder, but at least you don't have to fuss to find the "info" button on the housing. The Aquatica housing has easy access to the on/off switch and I would think the Nauti does as well.

I am still waiting for my housing, but looking forward to receiving it in the next few days.

Edited by Stoo, 16 February 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#3 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 16 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

With the Aquatica you are pretty much stuck with the info button to turn on the rear display. ( I know they say you can on some older literature but you can't.) It can be a little tough to see but that's the best we have. You get use to it.

I came from a G10 also and really like the set up. I found that if you buy STIX Jumbo floats and use 7 of them on your strobe arms you will be just barely negative in sea water. Pretty important if you want to shoot with one hand. My rig weighs 19 pounds with 2- 5" arms on each side with 2 Sea &Sea 110a's and a 4" Mini Dome, about the same with a macro port and 105 VR lens.

Be prepared to use a little more air pushing your new rig though the water.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#4 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

It doesn't look like there is any way to see shooting mode in the viewfinder, but if you use the information mode when reviewing photos, you can see what mode it was in the last picture you shot.

JP

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#5 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 16 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

I guess that's an advantage of the Ikelite housing. I have no trouble at all seeing the mode dial (and it is easy to change, too).