Photo
- - - - -

Is 3D in decline before it even takes off on broadcast TV?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

I've been editing the 3D video I shot on Alex's Red Sea trip last May. It's turned out nicely, I think. I've also heard very mixed views about 3D, but the people I've shown mine to have really been into it, especially kids, leaping around trying to snatch the fish from mid-air. In fact I've got so used to looking at my footage in 3D, and one or two 3D underwater blu-rays I have, that when I now see some really nice UW stuff on TV I end up wishing it was in 3D. I'm not such a fan of the extreme in-your face out of the screen effects (negative parallax), as I find it a bit distracting, but more subtle 3D I find just draws you into the viewing experience that bit more.
My brother has been working for a production company making 3D TV programs for the new 3D channels for the last couple of years and they just keep getting busier, so there is demand there, but it's definitely limited by the number of people who have 3D TVs. There is definitely some technology-fatigue as I well, I find that as prices drop on the new kit, and the spec gets better, I keep wanting the newest thing- for instance there are some nice looking 1080p 3D projectors coming out now at under 1000. There's also a Sony 3D headset, which is apparently a really immersive experience, once you get over looking like a plonker wearing it!
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#22 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:23 AM

I think you nailed it Ferg ... 3D is for kids :lol: and being a big kid I cannot wait to see John Conner as the trailer looked impressive!!! ... I suppose if someone supplied me with a 3D set up to film I would, however I definately wouldn't go out of my way to buy one

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#23 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

I do feel that there is anti-3D movement out there. Partly, it seems, driven by the public who see it as a marketing gimmick to charge more for watching movies at the cinema and to make people upgrade TVs etc. I think that there is a feeling that it is all a big marketing scheme - this year it is HDTV, then blue ray, then 3D, then 4K etc to make people buy stuff each year - rather than introduce everything in one go. And people are strongly anti 3D for this reason, rather than disliking the viewing experience.

I think 3D can enhance the viewing experience but only for certain subject matter. But in most cases it is a distraction from the narrative/involvement with the story. I've watched all the movies that are available in 3D in 2D. Although would probably watch Hertzog's cave in 3D (I think he has said in interviews that he wouldn't use 3D for drama, just for documentary).

Yes well, the problem is that technology is progressing faster than the market can adjust. TVs have technology change at a 3-5 year pace, and the manufacturers want consumers to keep buying! :lol:

My brother has been working for a production company making 3D TV programs for the new 3D channels for the last couple of years and they just keep getting busier, so there is demand there, but it's definitely limited by the number of people who have 3D TVs. There is definitely some technology-fatigue as I well, I find that as prices drop on the new kit, and the spec gets better, I keep wanting the newest thing- for instance there are some nice looking 1080p 3D projectors coming out now at under 1000. There's also a Sony 3D headset, which is apparently a really immersive experience, once you get over looking like a plonker wearing it!

Yes Fergus, and 4k 3D projectors are now hitting the market and in 5 years, will probably be where LCD screens was vs CRT. The Sony VW1000es was gorgeous showing Red clips. I did try the 3D HMD and got nauseous after 10 mins. LOL I guess I'm not in the market demographic for HMDs!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#24 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:Lots. I take things apart, modify things and make things.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

3D is here to stay this time I hope, because I've enjoyed the added depth in the picture. I just watched my first 3D martial arts flick. Not the best wushu movie but a decent start!
[/quote]

Which one? Is it Tsui Hark's Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate starring Jet Li? The opening sequence with the flying logs is awesome. the story is a bit disjointed. If not which 3D martial arts flic?

Cheers

David

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

Email: info@scubacam.com.sg

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/

#25 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:54 PM

Yup David. For me the "anqi" sequence between Fan XiaoXuan and LiYuchun was the best.
Ah Hark's movies are almost always shallow on story and grandoise on action. The Once upon a time... #1 was probably his best film The tornado fight scene was probably the worst conceived action sequence ever! But 3D does lend itself well to action. That's why Shrek 3D worked... non-stop action.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#26 seeesharky

seeesharky

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

I have heard that it is very hard for 3D to be copied, like when they are 1st shown at the cinema and someone records inside the cinema. So I hear the push for 3D is to eliminate movie theft. But like so many I have stopped going to see 3D as it is a strain on the eyes and head after a while.

#27 Maxheadspace

Maxheadspace

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Wrecks

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

I've been doing terrestrial 3D videography for a bit, but am finding the investment not paying off. Bought two HD cameras and built a platform. Sony Vegas Pro now makes the 3D production very straightforward and relatively simple to produce and tweak. The 3D results have been great, in my own opinion, but having excellent 3D doesn't matter if you can't find a deep enough audience. Even the major film producers, it seems, are not investing much in 3D for home use. I've purchased probably every 3D Blu-Ray movie ever made, yet my library is not that extensive. So, in my humble opinion, the great expense of developing an underwater 3D capability is not worth the investment. And in my further opinion, 3D camera systems that do not produce two separate video streams for editing (left/right eyes) are not really serious 3D anyway.

Max
Max Headspace

#28 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 12:39 AM

Add Werner Hertzog's cave doc to the short list of films that benefitted from 3D.

That makes three.

Add Pina by Wim Wenders.

That makes four :)

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#29 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:02 AM

Have a laugh - last year's Bait 3D  is worth watching- just don't bother rationalizing and enjoy some senseless action and gore (if you like that kinda thing). 3D is alive at least in movies.

The mindless shark attack scenes were shot mostly in a big pool turned into a film set (Hyper Market) and most of the 3D footage was shot by one of my Si Fus and his 3D team in Oz.

Cheers

David

Edited by CheungyDiver, 21 February 2013 - 01:06 AM.

Proprietor of Scubacam, Singapore. Commercial videocameraman. Also shoot digital stills. I modify and built stuff. I love technology. Camera: Red Epic/ Scarlet and soon Dragon

#30 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

I bought a 7 series Samsung 65" 3D TV almost a year ago.  I wasn't searching for a 3D TV, just a good quality TV.  So far we LOVE the 3D feature.  As far as IMAX and the theaters, I like some features in 3D, but others I don't really care for.  The first Hobbit I saw in 3D, and wished I hadn't afterwards.  Other action movies at home I absolutley enjoy.  I hope it's not in decline as some are speculating.  I really wish they'd start filming Football in 3D!!

Similan Islands....
http://www.flickr.co...804385191/show/

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

Canon HF S30, L&M Housing, 2x Sola 1200 lights.

#31 CheungyDiver

CheungyDiver

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

Gravity is and so is Life of Pi

I agree not all movies is done well in 3D.

Totally love to see football (as in soccer) in 3D especially the coming world cup.

#32 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2118 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:09 AM

Hey Simon,
In order for 3D to be accepted by the masses they have to film movies in 3D that are good.
Steve

History was not on your side...

... then Mark Kermode had to eat his words!

:deadhorse:

Edited by tdpriest, 20 April 2014 - 10:12 AM.