Photo
- - - - -

Single bulkhead - two strobes - sync cables?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:08 AM

Now that Uwe has made a wide angle wet lens adaptor for my LX-5 I now get the true 24mm of my lens I am thinking about adding a second strobe. Given that I have single bulkhead I have three options - dual sync cord, t-adaptor, or a slave. I am leaning towards buying a t-adaptor because my strobes come with a sync cord and I was thinking that it would be better to have two single cords and an adaptor rather than a single and a dual. The pit fall more connections to foul things up. Before going that route I thought I would check with others.

#2 Rui_Guerra

Rui_Guerra

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Yes, you are right Allen. No doubt that the T adaptor will be the best option, even more since you have the sync cords already.
Cheers,
Rui Guerra
Underwater Photography
http://www.photoguerra.net

#3 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Interests:I spend most of my time alpine climbing, hiking, mtn. biking, or skiing. When I can get away it is to travel for climbing or diving. Been doing this nonsense for way too long to do anything different.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

Okay so next question. I found one that I going to buy used. Subtronic commented that when using it and having one strobe on and the other off that it may not work with my combination of strobes and camera. I never really thought about the internals of a T but I assume that there is circuitry at work here that is detecting the strobes and communicating with them. There is no TTL going on strictly manual operation. Can someone give me an idea of what might going on. Does the same happen with a T cable?

#4 davichin

davichin

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1104 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:03 AM

Electrically speaking, a T-cord and a dual sync cord are the same IMHO. What kind of strobes are you using? I am sure that it would work, since you are only going to shoot manual, if you have connected only trigger and ground.
D300, D7000. 10.5, 10-17, 16, 10-20, 17-70, 60, 105, 150 Hugyfots, Subtronic Novas, Seacams 350, YS250s, YS-D1s
Aqualung Team
www.davidbarrio.com

#5 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Electrically speaking, a T-cord and a dual sync cord are the same IMHO. What kind of strobes are you using? I am sure that it would work, since you are only going to shoot manual, if you have connected only trigger and ground.

That was my thinking. I am using subtronic 160s with the cable. I should get the cable this week and will hook up my one 160 to it and see what happens. I will be ordering my second later on in the spring.

#6 allen

allen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

To answer my own question, I received the T and tried it with a single strobe. It worked fine no matter how it was connected. So I am set. I just need to do a bit of clean up as the previous owner used way too much lube with it.