4 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:15 AM

Anyone know whether this camera is actually water PROOF to any depth, or is it just meant for rain, and not shallow water?

For example, is it suitable to leave out on the back deck of a dive boat or for snorkeling? :D The little Sony waterproof camera seems more "waterproof" than this water resistant Pentax.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 peterv

peterv

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Biomedical stuff

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:21 PM

The Pentax 43 & 33 are JIS 7 rated. Not intended to take pictures underwater.
They are splash proof & can with stand a brief submersion of <5 feet.
Good choice for in the bathtub with kids, in shower, in yard sprinkler, in rain, boating, water skiing, sailing. Not really a snorkeling camera.

The newer Pentax Optio WPi (or older WP) are JIS 8 rated. They can be used to 5 feet deep up to 30 minutes. There are specific rules to follow when opening up after immersion to maintain water-tight integrity. So in addition to everything above, you could use it as a snorkeling camera for shots from surface. NOT intended for freediving or scuba use.

Please recheck my facts yourself before buying or jumping in .
other info:
http://www.h20camera.com/index.jsp

Thanks for providing this forum.
ScubaDru suggested I lurk here to help me decide on my next camera.
I shoot a basic Sony digicam in a plastic box.

PeterV, near Tampa Bay

#3 AndreSmith

AndreSmith

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:45 PM

I have had my Pentax Optio WPi for a couple of weeks now. Although I havent had it underwater yet, I am very impressed with the 6 MP picture quality.
Its got some real nice features - very small and light, virtually neglible startup and shutter delay times, Up to 3 frames per sec. Also has this "green mode " feature which allows an instant reset to fully automatic mode with the push of the green button. This is very useful for the less technically inclined members of the family who just want to pick it up and shoot. The rechargeable batttery also lasts much longer than any Digicams I have seen before.
It is going with us on our trip next week to the Comoros and I think it is going to be a great companion on the dive boats and beaches. I even want to go snokeling and try the special underwater mode.

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:09 AM

http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=10580

I did a post here as I saw one the other week being used and it was in the water for about 30 mins never really below 5ft but it wasn't a brief submersion.

I sat on the boat not realising it was even splash proof and chuckliong thinking some silly person had ruined their camera !!

I wouldn't be surprised if it can go a whole bunch deeper. But we know why the recomendations get put there.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 onokai

onokai

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:U/W photo-Diving-Tuna fishing

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:05 PM

I have the newer opti WPi. It can take rain etc and go to 15 feet. I got it for wet topside shots in my boat when housings are way to much- works fine for garbage dig shots- Nothing to blow up to big. My wife got our old point and shot soaked(dead) in Indonesia at the whaling village while jumping out of the panga last spring. This one will take that and more and it's just about free $$. Mark
2 Subal procase 5- Housings
2 Aquatica f/3 housings
Nikon film f/5's and f/3's cameras
Way to many strobes to list
All that Nikonos junk
and now a subal d300 setup
Still a film divasourus with a baby toe in digital world