Napolean Wrasse 4 Ways

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hey guys, I have never tweaked the color in lightroom before but last night I start playing with them.. and had a lot of fun. I think I am going to go with a more subdued look when I make the final print for a friend but let me know which version of this you like. Also, I would like som advice about the shadow from his fin. I was thinking about darkening the exposure around the shadow to make it seem like the shadow extends down his body even further. I am not sure I like that little sliver of his body that is still lit well (between the shadow and the blackness of the surroundings). If you notice in the B&W version I totally blotted it out.

I will also upload the non-tweaked version once I get home so you can compare.

Posted Image
_MG_0162-Edit-5 by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

Posted Image
_MG_0162-Edit-5-2 by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

Posted Image
_MG_0162-Edit-5-3 by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

Posted Image
_MG_0162-Edit-5-4 by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

Thanks,
J

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hi J,
I'm liking the bluer version of the -2 version but I've never seen this beautiful fish in the wild so I'm not sure what the "real" colors are. I'm also wondering if you tried the adjustment brush on the black of the fin shadow and thought about pulling it the other way. (Trying to lighten it just a touch with local exposure control)

I think you'll find that you'll want to tweak the colors and especially brightness again when you go to print it.

Beautiful image!

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:42 AM

Lovely photo. The third 'greener' version matches the colors of the wrasse I have seen and its the one I like the most.
I understand your opinion on the sliver of fish that is lit. I would lighten the fin shadow to bring it closer to the overall fish exposure and see how it looks. The black and white one looks a bit like someone took a bite out of the fish to me. But I am certainly no expert.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#4 flotsam2

flotsam2

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:09 PM

i have a napoleon wrasse image taken a few years back on way to blue corner wall in palau --image had little or no adjustments--it is an abstract face shot mostly of mouth, jaw, eye, and hump-so lacks rest of body for possible variable colorations--he was right in my face- all in all very blue with green markings-
i don't see quite how to post it here to compare-

so, my question is: are all nap wrasses of similar tones? my guy is very different from your image --yours has much more green and is darker--i would really like your edit 2 if it was brightened-i remember this fish as very energetic and bright --yours has a different feel, rather large, slow perhaps, and subdued
-it is a lovely image-majestic animal

my post does not relate to how to tweak in lightroom but rather when tweaking one must remember the true colors and that's something i oft question myself about--how is it possible to recall exactness following the dive/shot unless same species are all documented to have the same color values?
when it gets to be contest time or to print for a friend or a gallery shouldn't the colors reflect the animal in best exposed circumstances? how do we know when we are giving the best representation?

this is a topic that film with proper lighting gave me a definite--i felt more sure that i wasn't enhancing an image-i struggle with software adjustments
i will follow comments directed to your inquiry

2 hr later EDIT: pls edit my entry as i just noticed my monitor was turned all the way down-oops-one of my cat's fav thing to do-step on strategic keys--edit 2 is still my choice and much brighter and closer in tone to my nap wrasse face now!

Edited by flotsam2, 17 January 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#5 Stephen H.

Stephen H.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Image No. 2 looks the most natural to me - but I am no expert in Napolean Wrasse.

I struggle with color correction and exposure correction all the time, so I hope the above helps.

Steve
Steve, www.holinskiphoto.smugmug.com
Canon G10, S&S YS110a, Inon UCL165

#6 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Number 2 for me as well. I didn't like the blotted out part of the B&W version, that's just me though. I like Steve Williams idea of trying to lighten the fin shadow with a local correction, even if it's only slightly.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#7 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback. To be candid, I wasn't going with for a true representation of a Napoleon... I kind of saw it as a way to share a fun little exercise in color. Almost like Andy Warhol and his Campbell Soup prints in different colors.

And I was happy to get the response that I did. I do like the -2 image but I don't like his lips so much. And the pattern going down his face is has become so sharp that it is confusing.

Steve - good idea about lightening the shadow. I am afraid that some parts are so darkened that the resolution is not the best. Also, it is hard with that brush to get the light even. I will do some work and see what I come up with. I normally like directional lighting but if that shadow weren't there then the photo would be much* better.

Here is what the original (with a little added saturation but no other color manipulation) looks like:

Posted Image
_MG_0162-Edit-5.jpg by I(heart)Fish, on Flickr

#8 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3042 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Hi J,
There is still quite a bit of detail left in the shadow behind the fin even on the jpeg file you have up on Flickr. I bet if you go back to the raw file you could pull some of that out.

A 20 sec rough attempt using the adjustment brush with the auto mask turned on. Exposure +1 in the fin area

6718066371_02b68b65fd_b_2.jpg

Have fun with it.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#9 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

image 2 and i like the B&W version... i like the details that it picks out in the markings....

just my 2 fils...
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#10 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2127 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:44 AM

I like the top image. The blue cast is interesting as it emphasises the markings: Napoleon wrasse are not so blue in real life:

Red_Sea_2010_168_Little_Brother_Napoleon_wrasse.jpg

Tim

:D

#11 DamonA

DamonA

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Scuba, Skin Diving, "Animal Lover" and Woodworking, Licensed Professional Joiner & Carpenter.
    Don't like contact sport at all or elite level professional sport.

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

I like the top image. The blue cast is interesting as it emphasises the markings: Napoleon wrasse are not so blue in real life:

Red_Sea_2010_168_Little_Brother_Napoleon_wrasse.jpg

Tim

:)

Lovely angle in the photo!

The colours of any fish look different in the night.

Living here in S/E Queensland and having seen them regularly(one I see is approx. 1.8m long ), here they do have blue heads (the larger fish) and in certain light conditions the whole body looks blue almost- I can never get close enough to them for a good photo as they used to be hunted by spear-fishermen where I dive and are extremely fearful of divers(maybe if the area gets better policing it might change in the future as they have become a protected species-humphead wrasse). I don't chase them when I see them, I am trying to see if I can get closer then 15m which is my PB so far- up further in the large protection zones you can pat them, they have memories like an elephant and life span too!

Edited by DamonA, 30 May 2012 - 08:43 PM.