• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 vazuw

vazuw

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 10:19 AM

I'm looking for opinions on drysuits, and dry gloves. I'm interested in one thats less bulky, integrated weights, and a system thats more travel friendly

#2 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

If Alex M doesn't see this as he is in Cayman right now, but I'm sure he would rave about the Whites drysuit he has.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#3 fforbes

fforbes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:diving warm and cold, photography, golf, travel of every kind

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have a DUI 50/50, but several friends have Diving Concepts suits, manufactured in Santa Barbara, that they rave about. It is a lot less expensive than the DUI.

Fletcher
Fletcher

fletcherforbes.com
Nikon D800, Subal, Sea&Sea D1's

#4 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 12:43 PM

I'm looking for opinions on drysuits, and dry gloves. I'm interested in one thats less bulky, integrated weights, and a system thats more travel friendly

The fit is more important then anything else, also the right under garment for the temperature you will be diving in. We switched to 4th Element under garments and just love them, not as bulky and very warm.

I dive in a custom fit DUI TLS350, it fits perfect and that goes a long way towards buoyancy control. I have never heard of a weight integrated dry suit but have seen people use a harness with easy dumpable weights.

For gloves I like any that you can don after everything else is ready to dive. I had Zip Seal gloves from DUI that had to be put on the suit before you put it on, that sucks, very hard to get ready on your own, very expensive too. Look for something that you still have a little bit of dexterity left. The thicker they or the liners are the less dexterity you will have making using a camera tougher.

Ask four different divers and you will get four different answers though. If you have to buy off the shelf and can't swing the custom fit try several until you find one that fits.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#5 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Any opinions on Northern Divers?

Neoprene or Bag?

#6 fotofish

fotofish

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 03:49 PM

down here the DUI TLS350 is pretty much the suit of choice unless its contaminated water then a Viking suit is used. I use the zip gloves with my suit but others use the SI Tec system. As Paul stated ask four different divings and you'll get four different options.
Aquatica AD200/300 housing
Nikon D300
Nikon D200 Ikelite D200 housing
Dual DS 125's
Not enough glass to make me happy

Stephen Nichols

#7 gecko1

gecko1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

So I do about 100-120 drysuit dives a year.

I currently dive a DUI TLS 350 custom suit which I'm very happy with. It's much more comfortable and less restrictive than other kinds of drysuits I've used. Dries quickly and is light and thus very travel friendly as well. My previous TLS 350 (2003 vintage) suit did have a tendency to leak somewhat at the seams (the glue on the seams would de-laminate) but my new (2009) suit has been flawless.

I dove a Northern Diver 4mm compressed neoprene suit for a long time. It was rugged and dry but I found it to be a bit restrictive and it was heavy and took forever to dry. I also have a Diving Concepts shell suit which is OK. Doesn't fit nearly as well as the DUI and is more difficult to dive as a result. Also the polyester material tends to develop leaks from wear spots. The nylon on the TLS 350 is much more abrasion resistant (though at the expense of more difficult to glue and thus the leaks at the seams). The Diving Concepts suit is also heavier and takes longer to dry than the TLS 350.

Finally, as a photographer I find that the DUI suits (especially with a colorful overlay) look better in pictures that other brands of suits.

Clinton

Nikon D800, Nauticam Housing, Sigma 15 FE, Nikkor 17-35,105 VR Micro, 2x YS-350, ULCS arms, LMI Sola 800 Photo, Macromate

http://www.baue.org

http://metridium.com

#8 gotgills

gotgills

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

Whites fusion suit. Fits like a custom suit (better actually than my custom suit) and you can't argue the price. I love it and it dives like a 3mm wetsuit. When I teach students they find the skills easier in that suit over the other DUI, etc brands that allow more airspace in the suit. I have had mine since they came out.... Very durable and I love it.

#9 errbrr

errbrr

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

I'll put in a quick vote for Otter - I love my Brittannic Superskin. Much cheaper than DUI and from my observations of dive buddies, much more waterproof too. A good fit is crucial to easy buoyancy. I've moved to using a Santi undersuit which is less bulky for the same amount of warmth.

#10 Elainew

Elainew

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:36 PM

Any opinions on Northern Divers?

Neoprene or Bag?

I have a Divemaster (old model dating back to 2002) which was a good suit, and I still use it as a backup, but I wouldn't get the current model - comparatively it seems much more poorly made. I have an RBX (first model not the RBX II) and I wouldn't recommend it, to be honest. I have been disappointed in it. When I next get a drysuit, I am afraid it won't be a ND one ...

#11 Cerianthus

Cerianthus

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

down here the DUI TLS350 is pretty much the suit of choice unless its contaminated water then a Viking suit is used. I use the zip gloves with my suit but others use the SI Tec system. As Paul stated ask four different divings and you'll get four different options.

I do hope that at McMurdo station there is no contaminated water !

PS: what about the Bare suit range ?

Edited by Cerianthus, 18 January 2012 - 12:05 AM.

Gerard

My photo's on flickr
Crop the world ! (Using Canon 20D, 60mm, 100mm, 10-17mm FE, Ikelite)

#12 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

Interesting thread. Another question :

What drysuit would be the best combnaison to travel+freediving in 2C waters for long time everyday? long walk involved too, with cameras, so as light as it can be, no matter the price.

#13 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1737 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

Hi all,

If it is to be light and portable-it's got to be a membrane. I've got a DUI TLS 350 that has around 1800 dives on it and is nearing the end of its life, but I like it so much I keep sticking it back together! I don't think I can afford to replace it with another DUI unfortunately. If money is no object it would be my suit of choice.

An important point about lightweight is the components in the suit. Neoprene socks rather then solid boots, compact (or no) rather than bulky pockets, lightweight zips and most crucially the material make a huge amount of difference.

I have the Si tech cuff rings and think they are great. The gloves I use with them are Showa 660 work gloves-very cheap and light.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#14 sasdasdaf

sasdasdaf

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Tech, wreck, cave, reef, photography

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

I dove a second hand DUI TLS 350 for about 5 years and it was great. Lightweight, dries easily, but has a tendency to sprout pinhole leaks (but then again, my suit was old with many hundreds of dives on it). I now dive mostly in the tropics and have a custom DUI 30/30 suit. I love it to death. It is perfect for places where the land is warm but the water is chilly. It breathes on land and I don't sweat much wearing it. Under water, it keeps me dry and is very comfortable and flexible. DUI makes great suits but they are pretty expensive.

Nikon D7100, Nauticam NA-D7100, Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes
http://sasdasdaf.blogspot.com/

#15 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:57 AM

I have a Divemaster (old model dating back to 2002) which was a good suit, and I still use it as a backup, but I wouldn't get the current model - comparatively it seems much more poorly made. I have an RBX (first model not the RBX II) and I wouldn't recommend it, to be honest. I have been disappointed in it. When I next get a drysuit, I am afraid it won't be a ND one ...

Hmmm....not too happy to hear that as I am getting measured up for a Northern Diver suit this weekend....I know you get what you pay for but it boils down to price in the end...it is half what a DUI would cost, 30% less than a Santi, Bare is just as costly over here...waiting for the Otter agent to get back...

Any particular reasons the ND does not do it for you?

#16 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

I'll put in a quick vote for Otter - I love my Brittannic Superskin. Much cheaper than DUI and from my observations of dive buddies, much more waterproof too. A good fit is crucial to easy buoyancy. I've moved to using a Santi undersuit which is less bulky for the same amount of warmth.

My DUI failed (too many holes and zip gone) faster than expected. I'm back in a cheap Typhoon at present (which works), but my wife and many friends are using Otters (including dive schools) which have a good reputation in the UK at the moment, as do O3 (but they are costlier). It seems to me that drysuit manufacturers produce good suits until the 'next best thing' appears and then their popularity wanes. Whether this is because they produce a lesser drysuit after a few years or whether its because the scuba scene is faddy :D I daren't say......
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#17 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

I've had an Othree for around 14yrs now and apart from a change of cuffs and the owners weight gain it's still going strong

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#18 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 07:09 AM

I've used Viking Pros for years. My current suit has about 600 dives on it and I am just replacing the zipper now. I just developed one tiny leak where my fin strap was rubbing.

Vikings are relatively light compared to a neoprene suit, but heavier than other "membrane" suit as they are very heavy duty. I dive from a RHIB here in the Great Lakes and I like it's "instant" drying and low maintenance qualities. The suit basically lives in my boat. I use the Viking dry gloves which are idiot proof although a little more challenging to put on than the SciTechs. (Friends her have often had sealing issues with these incidentally. Just lack of care mounting them I suspect. Presumably you are a photographer and more "skilled/careful" with O-rings than your typical northern wreckie!

Many of my friends dive DUIs and one is in a Bare. All are happy with their choices I think. It really depends on budget, features and so on that you need.

You mention you want integrated weights, but I don't think you will find such a thing...

#19 fotofish

fotofish

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

I do hope that at McMurdo station there is no contaminated water !

PS: what about the Bare suit range ?

Sad to say there is. This goes back to when the disposal of materials not needed or wanted was to put it out on the sea ice. When it melted, out of sight out of mind. At least its in a area on the sea floor that is a natural bowl and is contained.
Nikon D300
Dual DS 125's

Stephen Nichols

#20 fotofish

fotofish

Moray Eel

• Team Wetpixel
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:59 AM

Interesting thread. Another question :

What drysuit would be the best combnaison to travel+freediving in 2C waters for long time everyday? long walk involved too, with cameras, so as light as it can be, no matter the price.

The water is is - 2 C and the science divers do up to 4 dives a day in these conditions. As I stated earlier the suit of choice is pretty much the DUI TLS350. I guess I should mention that most divers here that I know are using there own suits and not something that is issued.
Nikon D300
Dual DS 125's

Stephen Nichols