12 replies to this topic

#1 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hi,

I am currently on a trip in nozambique. Our group has had great sucess with whaleshark sightings. Its been a truley amazing experience.

One of the other divers has asked me if I could put some footage of his daughter freediving with the sharks together.

I have used a sony fx7 and a gopro to shoot the footage.

When I try and edit the clips in sony vegas HD platinium the footage gets glictchy for a second when switching between the two different video sources!

Is this because the fx7 shoots 1080i at 25 fps and the gopro shoots at 1080p at 29 fps?

I'm a bit stuck here its the first time I've had two different sources of. Video 2 edit together. Hope someone can help would really like to give the footage to them

#2 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:33 PM

Also apolgies if any of this doesn't make sense I'm typing on a tiny mobile phone as there is no internet here. I can barely see what I'm typing.

#3 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:40 AM

If one of the sources is 25fps (PAL) and the other 30fps (NTSC) then you really need to convert one of them before editing so that you are working with footage of the same frame rate. I know nothing about Sony Vegas so perhaps someone else can give you a practical workflow for doing this...

Cheers, Simon

#4 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

Thanks Simon, I thought that was the the problem.
From what I can tell all of the GoPro models shoot at either 30 or 60 fps whether they are from a pal or ntsc region.

Does any one know how I can convert the gopro footage to 25fps either in vegas or another programme? Thanks

#5 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 11:58 AM

Ok well i'm back from my trip and i've finally got round to editing some footage...

i'm really stuck with this guys i've tried a few different formats and i can't get it anywhere close to the quality of the original source. i really would appreciate a push in the right direction.

I have been using a free piece of software called any video converter, i'm sure it can do what i want to achieve but i just don't know enough about codecs,bitrates and frame rates etc etc..

Any information appreciated.

#6 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 18 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

One thing you can do is download EDIUS 6, it will edit different native raw files together at full resolution in real time no problems. (Costs money to buy but 30 day trial)
My last PAL DVD is a mix of raw native Canon 7D 1920/1080 25p and MPEG2 1440/1080 50i files and it came out fantastic.

Another thing you can do is download Virtualdub and frame convert the 29 to 25 fps. (FREE)
http://www.virtualdu...g/download.html
Just Google how to frame convert a clip.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#7 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

kun, how do you plan to give them the footage? Web? DVD? Do you want to convert the fx7 footage to match the GoPro or vice versa?

#8 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:28 AM

Hi guys.

Wagsy- Thanks i'll check out virtualdub.

Nick- The moment has passed for me to give them the footage as it was a while ago. I would just like to be able to combine the two types of footage to post on-line now. Most of the footage is with the fx7, so from a work load point of view it would be easier to convert the GoPro to 25fps as it is just a few minutes i would like to use. Although i have no idea if it's easier to convert 25fps to 29fps or to change 29fps to 25fps..

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Kun
My interpretation of your issue is that you are having playback problems in realtime on your computer? I believe Vegas now has GPU acceleration using a plug-in from Sony but you don't say which version of Vegas you are using or what computer you are running. The minimum system requirements tend not to work smoothly, but will (barely) work .
Have you exported out the sequence to say .mov or .avi file and are you judging from that output or the playback output from Vegas? Are you using an external monitor?
25-29.97 fps means you are interpolating 4.97 frames which aren't there. Conversely, the reverse means you are removing frames, thus there will always be a bit of motion issues. Always frame blend to give better motion in down conversion.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

Kun
My interpretation of your issue is that you are having playback problems in realtime on your computer? I believe Vegas now has GPU acceleration using a plug-in from Sony but you don't say which version of Vegas you are using or what computer you are running. The minimum system requirements tend not to work smoothly, but will (barely) work .
Have you exported out the sequence to say .mov or .avi file and are you judging from that output or the playback output from Vegas? Are you using an external monitor?
25-29.97 fps means you are interpolating 4.97 frames which aren't there. Conversely, the reverse means you are removing frames, thus there will always be a bit of motion issues. Always frame blend to give better motion in down conversion.

Hi Drew,

Im using a version of Sony Vegas 10 called HD Platinum. I'm working on a laptop- 16gb Ram, i7processor, Nvidia quadro 3000m graphics, 1TB hdd. I dont have a external monitor yet, i am looking at getting one though.. The main problem is me, i have just about taught myself how to navigate around Vegas and i feel i can do pretty much what i want to achieve and then render my project to the web. It seems as soon as i'm thrown a curve ball i'm completely stuck.... All the gear no idea, springs to mind.. haha. I spend countless hours on youtube watching tutorials but i dont seem to be able to get a answer to this... As wagsy said i can switch to Edius but thats another programme to learn.. i want to just stick with Vegas for now...

All i am judging it on is playback through the timeline.. Are you saying when i render it all will be o.k? the only problem is it hard to work with when its jumping and skipping all over the place.

I'm getting the feeling mixing two different frame rates (and trying to scale one source up or down) is not something usually done and i'll just have to take it as a lesson learned???

Edited by kun1, 19 February 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#11 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1925 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

If I was doing this, I would convert my 50i fx7 footage to 29.97p lossless intermediates and bring them back onto a Vegas timeline to mix with the GoPro footage and then later render out for the web. I have developed a workflow for this that uses the magic of MVtools and QTGMC in AviSynth. It gives excellent results but is extremely complicated if you're not used to these tools. Have a good night's sleep and a strong cup of coffee before you even think about embarking on this.

Get your 50i fx7 footage on your timeline and follow this tutorial. But you need a different AviSynth script from the tutorial in order to convert to 29.97p instead of 25p. Mine looks like this (single-threaded version):

AviSource("d:\fs.avi")
AssumeTFF()
ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true, matrix="Rec601")
QTGMC(SubPel=2)
super = MSuper(levels=1, pel=2)
MFlowFps(super, QTGMC_bVec1, QTGMC_fVec1, num=30000, den=1001, blend=false)

With multi-threading code added and optimised for my particular computer, it looks like the following (but you might want to get it working single-threaded first):

SetMemoryMax(768)
SetMTMode(5, 4)
AviSource("d:\fs.avi")
AssumeTFF()
ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true, matrix="Rec601")
SetMTMode(2)
QTGMC(SubPel=2, EdiThreads=2)
super = MSuper(levels=1, pel=2)
MFlowFps(super, QTGMC_bVec1, QTGMC_fVec1, num=30000, den=1001, blend=false)

Instead of encoding with x264 in MeGUI, render out a lossless .avi file. So after section 3.3 of the guide, skip to section 4.6.1. Instead of Lagarith, I have started using UT Video Codec for my lossless intermediates because it drops fewer frames during preview in Vegas. i.e. it plays back more smoothly. Be warned that lossless .avi files are HUGE so you need lots of disk space. Also the AviSynth processing is very slow so do as much cutting of unwanted footage as possible first in Vegas.

If you have trouble with UT Video Codec then use Lagarith lossles or try the near-lossless GoPro Cineform codec.

Once you have your 29.97p lossless file you can mix that one the timeline with your GoPro footage. Be warned that Vegas can sometimes give you black frames or black clips on the timeline, and this seems to be a bit more of a problem with files rendered with the type of codecs I have mentioned. Restarting Vegas tends to fix the problem so I recommend doing that before any final render.

When you're ready for your final render for the web you can either use the Sony AVC or MainConcept AVC codecs in Vegas, or if you want better quality for the same bitrate you can render to x264 in MeGUI as per my guide. In that case you would just open up the frameserved fs.avi file in MeGUI since no further processing would be required by AviSynth.

If you can't face any of that and want to do it all in Vegas, experiment with changing "smart resample" to "disable resample" in the video event properties. That changes whether Vegas blends or repeats frames, and might give you a better result than you're getting by default.

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:30 AM

All i am judging it on is playback through the timeline.. Are you saying when i render it all will be o.k?

That would be the first thing to try.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#13 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

That would be the first thing to try.

Update. Its not.

Thanks Nick, i will be trying this later in the week. I will read through the tutorial tonight and again tomorrow and also download all of the programmes before i attempt it at the weekend. Cheers

Edited by kun1, 20 February 2012 - 11:17 AM.