Photo
- - - - -

Which mirrorless system for UW..e-pl3 vs gf2 vs sony nex-5n?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Open this PDF and look at the port chart and you will see the Inon AMRS parts that fit onto the Acquapazza port to use the lenses in manual. The purple housing at the top has the gears and focus rings mounted for both zoom and manual focus.

http://www.acquapazz...apsonex5_ct.pdf

If you do not understand how the system works, see my INON X-2 article in the current issue of UWPmag.com The system works the same way on these ports.

Phil Rudin

#42 Aliens

Aliens

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:53 PM

Hello Aliens,

The two housings are different on the underside and the NEX-5/5n grip from Nauticam is a bit small. The Nauticam flexitray for compact housings with one or two grips does work on the NA-NEX-7 housing and has the great Nauticam grips. The Inon holder II grip set also works with the NEX-7 housing.

Phil Rudin

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=5385

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=4957

http://reefphoto.com...der ii grip set

Thanks I have an Inon baseplate and arms from my compact camera trying to change this to use on the Nauticam NEX7. Thanks for your reply

#43 meme.may.fire

meme.may.fire

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

the m43rd lenses just keeps coming in.
especially 3rd party.

Besides the newly announced Olympus em5, rumor has it
they will also released a 60mm macro plus an underwater housing for it.
D7000 + 60mm D + Ikelite + Sola 800 + LaLuz 800 x2
Oly XZ1 + Pt50 + D2000

Casually Wet & Deep in Conversation
Vimeo Flickr YouTube

#44 hughmoore

hughmoore

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:12 AM

Oooh, you get colors!
Phil, Thanks for the link. Certainly do-able. Appears to be AF only.
Bob

No, full manual focus is available with the brilliant mangentic ring system.

Hugh

#45 cheetohcat

cheetohcat

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:scuba, travel, photography, health/nutrition/fitness, sewing, shooting

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

I had a chance to take the nex-5n out this Sunday for 2 dives on the Oil Rigs near Long Beach, CA. We lucked out and had AWESOME viz, so I could really put the set up through the paces for wide angle. I'm still getting used to it, but I am very happy with it so far!

These were all taken with the Sony 16MM WA pancake lens + fisheye, and in the Recsea + dome port. I'm hoping to try out the 16mm alone, and the 18-55mm kit lens in the next few weeks as well.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Sony Nex 5n, Recsea housing/ports, 2x strobes, ring flash, Sola 600, BTS tray, UCLS arms

#46 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10595 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:43 AM

Carolyn
What modes were you shooting in? I ask because on my screen, a few of the pics are under exposed by at least 1.5 stops. Just wondering if you are using manual or any other mode? Thanks.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#47 hughmoore

hughmoore

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:51 AM

Carolyn
What modes were you shooting in? I ask because on my screen, a few of the pics are under exposed by at least 1.5 stops. Just wondering if you are using manual or any other mode? Thanks.

For us Novices, can you pick one picture and explain in more detail why you think its under exposed.

Hugh

#48 cheetohcat

cheetohcat

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:scuba, travel, photography, health/nutrition/fitness, sewing, shooting

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hey Drew, I was shooting in manual mode for the camera and strobes, so any exposure issues are due to operator input. :lol:

On a related note, do you have suggestions on how best to calibrate computer screens for accurate post processing? I just recently switched from PC to mac, and I find the images look radically different between the two, or vs. my work computer etc.

Thanks!
Sony Nex 5n, Recsea housing/ports, 2x strobes, ring flash, Sola 600, BTS tray, UCLS arms

#49 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1456 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hey Drew, I was shooting in manual mode for the camera and strobes, so any exposure issues are due to operator input. :lol:

On a related note, do you have suggestions on how best to calibrate computer screens for accurate post processing? I just recently switched from PC to mac, and I find the images look radically different between the two, or vs. my work computer etc.

Thanks!

carolyn:
I have a calibrator you can borrow next time we see you on the giant stride. On my monitor, the metridiums for example are at least a full stop underexposed and the cabezon (if that is what he is) is about a full stop under as well. I think you need to think about dialing in some strobe compensation. I like the composition a lot and the sea lion shot is very nice.
Let me know when you are going to dive with Jim again (I think we are on the boat next on the 25th) and I will bring my screen calibrator or if you are coming to the LAUPS meeting on Wednesday I will bring it then.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#50 Deep6

Deep6

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

Carolyn,
Thanks for sharing. How was the view throught the viewfinder?
Bob

Carpe carp - Seize the carp

#51 cheetohcat

cheetohcat

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

thanks Bill! that would be awesome! I think Dana said you guys were on the GS on the 26th but I can't join ...I'll plan on the LAUPS meeting next week.

carolyn:
I have a calibrator you can borrow next time we see you on the giant stride. On my monitor, the metridiums for example are at least a full stop underexposed and the cabezon (if that is what he is) is about a full stop under as well. I think you need to think about dialing in some strobe compensation. I like the composition a lot and the sea lion shot is very nice.
Let me know when you are going to dive with Jim again (I think we are on the boat next on the 25th) and I will bring my screen calibrator or if you are coming to the LAUPS meeting on Wednesday I will bring it then.
Bill

#52 cheetohcat

cheetohcat

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

Hey bob, there's no viewfinder, but the LCD was easy enough to see in the housing. Since I'm coming from a compact, I'm used to screen only so I didn't have any problems with it.

Carolyn,
Thanks for sharing. How was the view throught the viewfinder?
Bob

#53 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

We use our cameras on dry land at nighttime also so you may want to factor high-ISO performance in the decision if it's important to you. Currently, the NEX IQ is clearly superior to other mirrorless systems.

If you are into video, you may also want to consider NEX-5N and NEX-7 - the only two mirrorless cameras with 1080 60p video. With other mirrorless systems, you have to sacrifice 1080 resolution for 60P smoothness, and vice versa. Keep in mind that James Cameron wants to shoot Avartar 2 and 3 in 60 frames per second and this can be the beginning of the end of the outdated 24fps film standard that filmmakers actually hate. It's a certainty that 1080 60p will become the default video standard for consumer cameras and camcorders in the near future. Why wait?

Adjusting White Balance on the NEX-5N is simple and the results are pretty encouraging. There's no RAW for video, so adjusting WB at the scene is the only way to obtain the most accurate colors for movies... AND STILLS ALSO.

Posted Image

I have an in-progress "Personal-Observation" page on the NEX-5N here for those who are interested.

Edited by A.Y., 13 February 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#54 nitro91

nitro91

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:53 AM

Hey cheetoh, you use one or two strobes?

#55 cheetohcat

cheetohcat

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

Hey Nitro, I use two strobes. Didn't have them dialed in correctly for the first time out power-wise, but it was definitely necessary to have two to get coverage with the fisheye lens on the camera.

Hey cheetoh, you use one or two strobes?