3 replies to this topic

#1 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:16 AM

Just curious if anyone here is going to use Apple's iBooks Author software to build books about underwater photography or related subjects. Apple is pushing this for interactive textbooks (I worked on the two science titles released by Pearson last week) but I would think it would be useful for how-to books on photography and other graphics-heavy subjects.
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite

#2 Jules (Helioxfilm)

Jules (Helioxfilm)

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:UW videography, tec diving<br />literature (novels)<br />diplomacy

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:25 AM

Just curious if anyone here is going to use Apple's iBooks Author software to build books about underwater photography or related subjects. Apple is pushing this for interactive textbooks (I worked on the two science titles released by Pearson last week) but I would think it would be useful for how-to books on photography and other graphics-heavy subjects.

Well, we have just begun something related to this :-) Still exploring the possiblitites, but hell, yes, there are strong intentions to do something special for uw photo and video, yes... .-)

#3 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1412 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:10 AM

Before you start using it, you might want to review the EULA.

Evil License Agreement?
"Me, fail English?.........Unpossible!"

#4 danielandrewclem

danielandrewclem

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  • Interests:writing, photography, fish

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

ScorpioFish,
I think that writer's reading of the EULA is an overreaction. If you make an iBook using Apple's software, and you want to sell it, you have to sell it through Apple because the iBook will only work on the iPad. If you then want to make a similar (but probably much less interactive) e-book of the same content but in ePub 3 format, so it will work on a Kindle or whatever, you are free to do so using a different authoring application. At worst, Apple's EULA means you have to use more than one application to publish both an iBook to Apple and an e-book to Kindle. I can understand the frustration at that prospectóhaving to pour, lay out, and publish an e-book in multiple ways just to suit the different families of tablets that are out in the worldóbut given that Apple's tool and other tools accept HTML5 content, it wouldn't be all that hard to pour your content into an iBook and an ePub 3 tool if most of your interactive features are in HTML5.
-Dan
Flickr 5D Mk II & 20D | Ikelite