4 replies to this topic

#1 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Just a big thanks regarding information from many on this site regarding viewfinders.
I went to a local diving shop pool to test out my new Nauticam 180 viewfinder. There was another photo addict there that mentioned he just sent his Nauticam 45 viewfinder back. He could not find his subject when shooting macro and did not press through the learning curve. He gave up and sent it back.

If not for this site and all the advice given, I would have purchased the 45 viewfinder and been as frustrated as the other guy. Instead, when I went into the pool with the 180, I could immediately find the test subject in the viewfinder and all looked so wonderful. So I am looking forward to my up coming trip with the new viewfinder.

So thanks to many, particularly the A. Mustard viewfinder article some months back, for aiding in selecting my latest gadget.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

I'm glad you found the solution which suited you Dave. FWIW, I use INON 45s on my two NA-7Ds. Yes initially, target acquisition may be an issue. but a 45 pays dividends later, for both macro and w/a.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the comments. Oh, I want a 45 badly enough. But I only get to dive maybe 3 weeks per yr and those are usually spread out. From reading here, most say I would have a learning curve the first few days each trip. So the 45 may have to wait a while until I find some lucrative income near the ocean, or retire.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#4 Bent C

Bent C

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for the comments. Oh, I want a 45 badly enough. But I only get to dive maybe 3 weeks per yr and those are usually spread out. From reading here, most say I would have a learning curve the first few days each trip. So the 45 may have to wait a while until I find some lucrative income near the ocean, or retire.

I changed from a straight Nauticam to a 45 degree viewfinder. I quickly got into finding the subjects with horizontal positioning of the camera, but still struggle when I use the camera vertically. However, for me the pros with the 45 definitely outweighs the frustration of not finding stuff vertically.

Cheers Bent
Bent Christensen
Nauticam and Canon 7D
http://bentmedia.me

#5 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:26 AM

Congrats on the new edition to your kit Dave. Glad you finally narrowed it down and are happy with your choice.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.