14 replies to this topic

#1 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:23 AM

Hi

Im off to Bunaken and Lembeh in March and would like to add a new light to my setup as the little Fantasea Nano doesnt have enough oomph !

I would like to be able to use the light for focus on my EPL2 setup, or as a video light for macro on my fiances compact camera. Ideally we would have the option of a red light option for those sensitive critters like Mandarin fish etc, but that can be via addon filter if necessary.

Anyways while I would love a Sola800P its out of my price range so need something to do a similar job at half the price....a tall order i guess. I have seen the Inon LE550W (bright, compact but only on/off) or the I-Torch Video Pro3 (Similar Specs to the Sola600P) advertised but any suggestions greatfully recieved.

I do have the option of mounting a torch rather than a specific focus/video light with an Ultralight bracket, but the LED Lenser Frogman I already have has a very narrow beam and not that bright (~75Lumen)

Suggestions welcome

Mooseman

#2 drako

drako

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:34 AM

I would recommend a Sola, however they are pricey.
I am selling a FIX led 1000 and 1500.
375 for the 1000DX and 475 for the 1500DX.
Here is the thread for the 1500 and the 1000 is in similar condition.
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=44218
Sorry for the self plug but it seems to fit his description of what he needs

Jose

#3 billmackbarnes

billmackbarnes

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

Hi

Im off to Bunaken and Lembeh in March and would like to add a new light to my setup as the little Fantasea Nano doesnt have enough oomph !

I would like to be able to use the light for focus on my EPL2 setup, or as a video light for macro on my fiances compact camera. Ideally we would have the option of a red light option for those sensitive critters like Mandarin fish etc, but that can be via addon filter if necessary.

Anyways while I would love a Sola800P its out of my price range so need something to do a similar job at half the price....a tall order i guess. I have seen the Inon LE550W (bright, compact but only on/off) or the I-Torch Video Pro3 (Similar Specs to the Sola600P) advertised but any suggestions greatfully recieved.

I do have the option of mounting a torch rather than a specific focus/video light with an Ultralight bracket, but the LED Lenser Frogman I already have has a very narrow beam and not that bright (~75Lumen)

Suggestions welcome

Mooseman

I have the EPL1 and started with a cheaper focus light. Taped on a red filter. Finally gave up and got a Sola 600 photo with Red. It works fine for macro video. It is exspensive but it is a great light and I have no regrets. All my friends have one now.
Considering the cost of your trip, the number of night dives you will do, and the better pictures you will get with the light, spend the money...
Bill

#4 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

Unfortunately the bank has runneth dry....after paying for the trip, 2 sets of regs, 2 wetsuits, some macro lenses for the EPL2 etc.....its a bread and water diet between now and march !
I did fancy one of the sola 800s but 430 is more than i can stretch to in all honesty so was hoping that something along the lines of the Itorch or Inon would be in the same ball park for under 250. I know what you mean....its just a little more considering the price of the trip...but its nearly double the budget. Any other options out there?

Drako....possibly interested in the Fix1000 but with shipping to the UK would be closer to 300 i guess?
Mooseman

#5 drako

drako

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:40 AM

Unfortunately the bank has runneth dry....after paying for the trip, 2 sets of regs, 2 wetsuits, some macro lenses for the EPL2 etc.....its a bread and water diet between now and march !
I did fancy one of the sola 800s but 430 is more than i can stretch to in all honesty so was hoping that something along the lines of the Itorch or Inon would be in the same ball park for under 250. I know what you mean....its just a little more considering the price of the trip...but its nearly double the budget. Any other options out there?

Drako....possibly interested in the Fix1000 but with shipping to the UK would be closer to 300 i guess?
Mooseman

Mooseman I sent you a PM

#6 billmackbarnes

billmackbarnes

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

You are gonna waste 250 on a light you don't want and won't like instead of buying a 430 light that will do both? On a trip you should be doing a night dive every night? Sorry for the strong words, but I wasted money buying my first light. Just trying to avoid you doing the same.
Bill
Lembeh is next on my list
Tulamben was great

Edited by billmackbarnes, 24 January 2012 - 01:21 PM.

#7 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

Harsh yet possibly fair bill !
I have had good reviews of the ITorch from Alex Tattersall over here in the UK, and Adam Hanlon here on Wetpixel liked it as well...BUT....as you say it may not be as good as the SOLA. I have now ruled out the Inon and the LaLuz options so its down to the Sola or the Itorch now.
I currently have the options of the ITorch (650W plus red mode) @ 225, the Sola 500P @250, Sola 600D (dive light!) @300 or paying the full whack for the Sola 600P or 800P @ 400-430. Only the Itorch, Sola600P and 800P have red mode, but i could always add a filter to the other ones ?
Decisions decisions decisions!
Mooseman

#8 billmackbarnes

billmackbarnes

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:32 PM

Post a link to the iTorch. Haven't heard of it here across the pond. Does it turn off momentarily by the strobe? Adding on filters under water are a pain in the butt. The red worked and really helped but i cound not put it back on onderwatrr which is why I bought the Sola.

Currently trying to find a blue filter for sea horses and other critters that can see red. Will I use it? Hard to say. Tape doesn't stick twice underwater!!

Edited by billmackbarnes, 26 January 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#9 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1170 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

http://www.itorch.ca/videopro.html
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#10 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

Theres no auto off but otherwise it looks good, especially being able to have a spare set of batteries on the diveboat!. My only reservation is it being a relatively new company so dont know about its reliability.
If I was going to add a filter, I would mount it to the front and keep it in place with Bungee cord or velcro (if its a flexible filter) or build a mount for it out of polymorph thermoplastic.
If only I had a chance to go had have a play with the Itorch and the Sola500 I could decide what I prefer beforehand, but since theres no local stockists Ill have to rely on you all for advice
Cheers guys

#11 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1565 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

Theres no auto off but otherwise it looks good, especially being able to have a spare set of batteries on the diveboat!. My only reservation is it being a relatively new company so dont know about its reliability.
If I was going to add a filter, I would mount it to the front and keep it in place with Bungee cord or velcro (if its a flexible filter) or build a mount for it out of polymorph thermoplastic.
If only I had a chance to go had have a play with the Itorch and the Sola500 I could decide what I prefer beforehand, but since theres no local stockists Ill have to rely on you all for advice
Cheers guys

I have both Sola and i-torch. Neither has auto off but it hasn't been an issue. The I-torch has been on many hundred dives and so far no big issue. One potential advantage of the itorch is that you can have spare batteries charging for the next dive, the sola (unless you get two) will need to recharge between dives. Both are great; either will serve your purposes.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#12 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:15 AM

I have both Sola and i-torch. Neither has auto off but it hasn't been an issue. The I-torch has been on many hundred dives and so far no big issue. One potential advantage of the itorch is that you can have spare batteries charging for the next dive, the sola (unless you get two) will need to recharge between dives. Both are great; either will serve your purposes.
Bill

Personally Im not worried about the auto off, especially as the new light may be used on my fiances compact for video whilst I do photographs with the strobe...then autooff can be a real pain !

Good to hear the semi-longterm prospects on the Itorch are looking good as thats one thing you worry about with new products.
The way I see it the best comparisons are Sola600/800/1200 vs Itorch Vid3/4 or the Sola 500 vs Itorch pro mini.
I Guess i will be happy whichever way I go, but Im understandably worried about making the wrong decision before going on this "Trip of a Lifetime" to Lembeh. Got all the macro lenses sorted now, and just need to add some light :-)

#13 Aliens

Aliens

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Personally Im not worried about the auto off, especially as the new light may be used on my fiances compact for video whilst I do photographs with the strobe...then autooff can be a real pain !

Good to hear the semi-longterm prospects on the Itorch are looking good as thats one thing you worry about with new products.
The way I see it the best comparisons are Sola600/800/1200 vs Itorch Vid3/4 or the Sola 500 vs Itorch pro mini.
I Guess i will be happy whichever way I go, but Im understandably worried about making the wrong decision before going on this "Trip of a Lifetime" to Lembeh. Got all the macro lenses sorted now, and just need to add some light :-)

Def go SOLA 600/800/1000 red light switchable modes, small excellent for travel

#14 Mooseman1007

Mooseman1007

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

One Sola 800 ordered....was given the blessing to spend the extra when my fiance realised she would probably be using it more than me....funny that
Roll on the end of March !

#15 pointy

pointy

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:55 AM

Post a link to the iTorch. Haven't heard of it here across the pond. Does it turn off momentarily by the strobe? Adding on filters under water are a pain in the butt. The red worked and really helped but i cound not put it back on onderwatrr which is why I bought the Sola.

Currently trying to find a blue filter for sea horses and other critters that can see red. Will I use it? Hard to say. Tape doesn't stick twice underwater!!

Hello Bill,

I think I have found a convenient way to add and remove a red filter from a focus light underwater. The filter I used was really cheap and effective too. Anyway, it worked like a charm in my basement, and I'm looking forward to trying it out underwater. Maybe people don't need to spend a lot of money for a convenient red focus light. It doesn't seem to require a lot of red filtered light for the autofocus to lock onto a subject. You might like to check out my Flickr link to a set of photos titled "Poor man's red focus light"

http://www.flickr.co...57629378484893/

John McCracken