4 replies to this topic

#1 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:04 AM

Hi,

i need to bend my Fiber optic cable into a spiral (diameter 2cm) - anybody now how to do it without breaking the fiber??

Conny

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1565 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Hi,

i need to bend my Fiber optic cable into a spiral (diameter 2cm) - anybody now how to do it without breaking the fiber??

Conny

I coil my Toslink cables by wrapping them around a mandrel, taping them in place then heating with a heat gun. They do not end up quite as pretty as the Inon cables but the work fine.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:12 AM

Thanks a lot Bill - it worked perfect with the heat gun :-). Looks like my original from Inon.

Conny

#4 jefdriesen

jefdriesen

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:48 AM

Doesn't the fiber optic break when you bend it with such a small diameter (e.g. about 2 cm)? I would think that using the heatgun before bending might help to prevent it from breaking. Or am I wrong on that, and is the heat gun just for the plastic cover?

I haven't tried it yet, but when I attempted to bend one, it definitely felt like it was going to break and I didn't continue.
Nikon D7000 - Nikon AF-D 60mm - Tokina 10-17mm - Hugyfot housing - 2x Sea & Sea YS-110 optically triggered

#5 Conny3479

Conny3479

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:12 AM

First i put the fiber in hot water and than wrap it around a stick. Second i put some weight (i used my small bench vice) on both ends and heat it up with the gun - 4 times. When i removed the weight and the stick the cable stays accurately in new position.

So you need the heat to bend the plastic cover AND the fiber. When you do without it will break. If it's not hot enought the fiber will expand again.

Conny