#1 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Canon 7D,Inon Z220,Sony DSR 400P,Aquacam Futura Pro

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:37 AM

Hi all

I need some help,I need to ftp a clip to a client.Usually I would send a MOV file however they can only receive MP4
Files.So I dropped the mov into mpeg streamclip and made a mpeg4.
The quality is better after it goes into mpeg streamclip but not good enough for broadcast,the picture is abit flakey
From what I know,mpeg4 is a quality that is more suited for the web.
So,how do I make a mov file into an mpeg4 without losing quality,is it even possible

Thanks
Canon 7D,Nauticam NA 7D housing,Inon Z220s strobes,Canon 60mm macro,Tokina 10-17mm
Sony DSR 400P,Panasonic DVX 100B,Futura Pro Housing,Macbook Pro i5 (FCP,Aperture&Lightroom)

#2 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:49 AM

Hi all

I need some help,I need to ftp a clip to a client.Usually I would send a MOV file however they can only receive MP4
Files.So I dropped the mov into mpeg streamclip and made a mpeg4.
The quality is better after it goes into mpeg streamclip but not good enough for broadcast,the picture is abit flakey
From what I know,mpeg4 is a quality that is more suited for the web.
So,how do I make a mov file into an mpeg4 without losing quality,is it even possible

Thanks

What exactly are you converting from and too? What were the settings you used for the conversion on MPEG Streamclip? You should be able to make a decent MPEG4 file.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#3 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

What exactly are you converting from and too? What were the settings you used for the conversion on MPEG Streamclip? You should be able to make a decent MPEG4 file.

I shot an insert on DV Cam pal (H.264),done the editing in FCP,The exported from the timeline into a Quicktime MOV onto the desktop.I opened Mpeg Streamclip,dragged and dropped in the sequence onto mpeg streamclip,went to file,pressed export to mpeg4,set the quality on 100%, and frame size at 768 X 576 (4x3) and created an mpeg4,the video quality does'nt look like it can be broadcast.
Canon 7D,Nauticam NA 7D housing,Inon Z220s strobes,Canon 60mm macro,Tokina 10-17mm
Sony DSR 400P,Panasonic DVX 100B,Futura Pro Housing,Macbook Pro i5 (FCP,Aperture&Lightroom)

#4 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:24 PM

I shot an insert on DV Cam pal (H.264),done the editing in FCP,The exported from the timeline into a Quicktime MOV onto the desktop.I opened Mpeg Streamclip,dragged and dropped in the sequence onto mpeg streamclip,went to file,pressed export to mpeg4,set the quality on 100%, and frame size at 768 X 576 (4x3) and created an mpeg4,the video quality does'nt look like it can be broadcast.

Are you able to post either a comparison frame grab or both videos so they can be compared. What is the issue with the image, distorted, artifacts etc etc

www.ginclearfilm.com

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Why not just export a MPEG4/AVC file straight from the timeline, or does FCP not allow you to do that?
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#6 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Why not just export a MPEG4/AVC file straight from the timeline, or does FCP not allow you to do that?

Yeah you can do that and export as quicktime conversion - MPEG4, generally considered practise is to export a QT movie from the timeline with current settings and then convert in compressor.

www.ginclearfilm.com

#7 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:44 AM

Hi Guys

I've seem to have sorted the problem out,some settings was out on the other mac which we were using,however i have another problem now.

Anybody familiar with Cyberduck,well i've sent through the file on FTP,114megs.When sending the file,it says upload complete but at the same time a window pops up saying upload failed.When i checked on the clients server,i see the whole file there at 114 megs,however the client says only half the file can be seen.Does anyone know what the problem is?

Edited by Travy, 02 February 2012 - 04:44 AM.

#8 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

can not you just set it uploading again and tell it to resume when it finds the half file there so you don't have to upload the whole file again.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#9 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Or use yousendit.com 100mb free or you can pay something like $30 for a year and upload 2gb files, I use it on a daily basis for sending client work around and it's great.

Or try firefox firebug works like a dream too.

www.ginclearfilm.com