• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:34 AM

I'm about to mount a light on my camera that doesn't do this, but I am curious on how useful you find this feature in practice in your photography

Cheers
O

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:46 AM

It can be useful for certain shots. But not a deal breaker.

However - consider that if you are using a fast exposure (macro) then the light is likely to be almost invisible. If you are using a slow exposure (wide angle or balanced light macro) then you should probably be using rear curtain synch, in which case the focus light will still be on during the exposure.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#3 Kilili

Kilili

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:46 AM

I shoot all macro, and use high-power 500 lm spotter lights as I don't see well in dim light. They don't cause any problems. Set up your camera inside, where it's warm, do a few different shots, and check them.
Ken
Kilili Studios
ken@kilili.com

Nikon D2x with Subal ND2, and all that other stuff

#4 hagainativ

hagainativ

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography, underwater videography, underwater research photography, babies at pool photography

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:15 AM

I recently added the Ikelite 2800 video light as a focus light (when not shooting video, @700 lumens) to my 2*ds125 strobes.
I glad to read it's not a big deal that the turn-off feature is not such an issue...

as I guessed from the beginning...

The great thing about it that it have a wide angel of coverage and even light.
Hagai Nativ - Underwater photographer
www.hagainativ.com
facebook.com/hagainativ.photograper

#5 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:09 PM

It is generally pretty easy to tell whether it will be an issue or not before you take the shot. Look at the exposure meter in the viewfinder. If it is telling you the shot will be underexposed, you don't have to worry. If it's a stop or less underexposed, it might be an issue. If you're shooting macro, the exposure meter will almost always indicate underexposure (or you have too slow a shutter speed) and you should be fine, as Alex points out. It is only when you want to balance for ambient light that there might be an issue.

#6 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

Hmm, good point Alex with rear curtain sync.

I guess this might be an issue after all then, I'll use this one for a while and see how it goes.

Cheers
/O