• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi, I just returned with my wife from a trip to Easter Island, it was our second time there and the trip was really fun.
The island is amazing top land and underwater.

You will notice the lack of fishes in my shots, that is the reality of the island, the coral is healthy but there are no sharks and the fishes are almost gone. If you have the chance to watch "Lost Sharks of Easter Island" from NatGeo, you will understand what is happening there, but there is still hope to recover the area.

Taking shots wide angle with my new rig in clear blue waters was a challenge and I'm fighting with the backscatter.

Please let me know if you see problems with the white balancing of the shots, in one of my computers I see the shots with a purple hue but not on the rest on my pc's.

Hope you enjoy them:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can see the rest of shots here and the top side shots here
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#2 Eyematey

Eyematey

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

Shots look great, don't see any purple issue. Viz seems spectacular.

Curious, have you ever been diving at Juan Fernadez Island? I spent 6 weeks there in 1971 (not certified then) and have always wanted to return. The tsunami cancelled my trip plans last year but am thinking 2013 might work.

Steve

#3 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:56 AM

Shots look great, don't see any purple issue. Viz seems spectacular.

Curious, have you ever been diving at Juan Fernadez Island? I spent 6 weeks there in 1971 (not certified then) and have always wanted to return. The tsunami cancelled my trip plans last year but am thinking 2013 might work.

Steve

Glad you like it, the visibility was indeed spectacular as usual there.
There were some particles in the water, because of some rain and because is summer, but we had more than 60 mt of visibility. On one dive we were able to see the bottom that was at 70 mt, the guide says "we can see the bottom but is not as clear as in good days".

I've never been in Juan Fernandez, but we have it in our pending diving destination list. :)
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#4 jkane

jkane

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

The lack of fish you describe is due to what?

#5 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

The lack of fish you describe is due to what?

Over fishing, in part for the local community and in most part for the big guys that are not from Chile, trawling is the correct word?
The island is not protected but Sala y Gomez Island is near to Easter Island an was declared a marine reserve, Oceana Chile is pushing for increase the size of the protected area and that way includes the half of eastern island waters.
This will be a government decision, but some how we need to put pressure on this initiative.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

flickr

#6 chungungo

chungungo

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:18 AM

Over fishing, in part for the local community and in most part for the big guys that are not from Chile, trawling is the correct word?
The island is not protected but Sala y Gomez Island is near to Easter Island an was declared a marine reserve, Oceana Chile is pushing for increase the size of the protected area and that way includes the half of eastern island waters.
This will be a government decision, but some how we need to put pressure on this initiative.

Hola Andrés,

Que buenas fotos, las luces bien balanceadas, creo que las fotos con un azul "magentoso" puede ser porque la temperatura de color varía con la profundidad, si quisiéramos mantener el mismo azul, deberíamos resetear el balance de blancos según la profundidad.
Yo no me preocuparía mucho de eso y seguiría sacando fotos, vas muy bien encaminado.

Saludos cordiales,
Eduardo Sorensen.

#7 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:20 AM

Hola Andrés,

Que buenas fotos, las luces bien balanceadas, creo que las fotos con un azul "magentoso" puede ser porque la temperatura de color varía con la profundidad, si quisiéramos mantener el mismo azul, deberíamos resetear el balance de blancos según la profundidad.
Yo no me preocuparía mucho de eso y seguiría sacando fotos, vas muy bien encaminado.

Saludos cordiales,
Eduardo Sorensen.

Gracias por el comentario Eduardo, viniendo de ti es un gran alago.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

flickr