Final Cut X Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

Apple updated Final Cut X. Looks like they nailed some good things.

- Multicam editing with automatic sync and support for mixed formats, mixed frame rates, and up to 64 camera angles
- Advanced chroma keying with controls for color sampling and edge quality
- Media relink for manual reconnect of projects and Events to new media
- Ability to import and edit layered Photoshop graphics
- XML 1.1 with support for primary color grades, effect parameters, and audio keyframes
- Beta version of broadcast monitoring with third-party PCIe and Thunderbolt I/O devices

Something else to check out

7toX for Final Cut Pro

Converts old projects to X

EDIT: Tried downloading through the App Store and it says I need to use software update since the application is already installed. Software update does not have it listed :)

When this part gets straightened out I will post again. :)

#2 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photograph, Marine Biology

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

EDIT: Tried downloading through the App Store and it says I need to use software update since the application is already installed. Software update does not have it listed :)

Same here... :/

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

Works fine for me through the App Store on the Laptop and Desktop; does not show on Software Update

Edited by loftus, 31 January 2012 - 05:09 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

OK, now it is working for me with the App Store. Looks like it is the whole thing, though, rather than an update - 1.47GB.

Edited by ATJ, 31 January 2012 - 05:15 PM.

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:00 PM

Works fine for me through the App Store on the Laptop and Desktop; does not show on Software Update

I got nothing still. App store says it is installed and go to software update. Not there either. ARGHHHHH :)

#6 ATJ

ATJ

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

Just be aware than when you do get the upgrade, it will want to convert all existing projects next time you run it.

#7 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

I got nothing still. App store says it is installed and go to software update. Not there either. ARGHHHHH :)

Did you click on the button at the top of the window that says 'updates'?
When you see the Final Cut pane on the home page it says installed, but when you click on Updates, it should say you have an update available.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#8 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

Did you click on the button at the top of the window that says 'updates'?
When you see the Final Cut pane on the home page it says installed, but when you click on Updates, it should say you have an update available.

Yes, the button says update in the updates. Click on it and it says already installed go to software updates and software updates does not list Final Cut. I may just delete it and see what happens.

#9 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:01 AM

Yes, the button says update in the updates. Click on it and it says already installed go to software updates and software updates does not list Final Cut. I may just delete it and see what happens.

That's what I had to do to update to .01 and .02.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#10 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1749 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

Weird!

My update just....worked! On both my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro.

No issues at all. When reopening FCPX it asked if I wanted to upgrade my projects and events to the latest version. Took a while to do, but again seemed to work fine.

Anyone tried out 7toX yet?

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#11 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:58 AM

I had no problems with either the Lion download or the updated X and Compressor downloads. Have not tried the 7-X yet but will. Right now I am testing the Event Manager also by the same company and it appears to work just fine.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#12 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

I had no problems with either the Lion download or the updated X and Compressor downloads. Have not tried the 7-X yet but will. Right now I am testing the Event Manager also by the same company and it appears to work just fine.
Steve

Removed the older version and it now downloaded....did not see the Compressor update (it is not showing up)

#13 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

The compressor update should be in your new downloads page in the App Store. Drag your Compressor icon out of the apps folder into the trash and then download it. Once completed you can then empty the trash. Surprised you don't see it there though as that is how these downloads now work. Been on Lion for 2 days now and hate what it did to Mail and still trying to figure out some of the new things in Safari. Think the new App Launcher is pretty cool but this Mission Control gizmo seems like a waste.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10638 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:30 PM

Automatic Duck is dead with 10.0.3. So no AAF/OMF out again!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#15 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:33 AM

Apparently with this new version I am wrong about having to drag the FC and Compressor icons to the trash. You no longer have to do that before installing.
Steve

Wrong again, went to download them to my laptop without having to bring them first to the trash. Didn't work this time so I trashed them first and then downloaded. Since it works for some one way and others, another, I interpret that to a bug in their installers.

Edited by Steve Douglas, 04 February 2012 - 03:04 PM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas