Photo
- - - - -

Assisted Editing 7 to X: FCP7 to X XML export...FINALLY!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

One of the biggest flaws of FCX was the inability to import older FCP7 projects. Greg Clarke and Phil Hodgetts from Assisted Editing finally came up with a way for Final Cut X 10.0.3 update, announced today. The product is called 7toX. It uses the XML export of FCP7 and translates to XML FCX understands. XML was a standard until FCX renamed many functions and killed XML compatibility.
The app is now available in the App Store of Apple.
Final Cut X 10.0.3 is also available for update @ the app store.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Looks like a significant upgrade for serious editors. FCPX may not be for high end editors who feel it's a move downward, but it sure is great for someone like me trying to move up from iMovie. So much more intuitive and easy to learn than the old versions.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

One of the biggest flaws of FCX was the inability to import older FCP7 projects. Greg Clarke and Phil Hodgetts from Assisted Editing finally came up with a way for Final Cut X 10.0.3 update, announced today. The product is called 7toX. It uses the XML export of FCP7 and translates to XML FCX understands. XML was a standard until FCX renamed many functions and killed XML compatibility.
The app is now available in the App Store of Apple.
Final Cut X 10.0.3 is also available for update @ the app store.

Hey, I said it first :) LOL.

But it is good news, though the update is still not working for me.

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

If you have not updated to the Lion OS, you will need to do so to take advantage of some of the new features in the latest FCP update.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

I just plugging Phil's plug in... don't really care about FCX :)

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hmmm just tried it on an old multicam project.

It's not nearly a perfect import to X. Simple to use. Just drop the xml file on the icon and it does the rest. But lotsa things missing, animations/grading from AEFX/Motion/Color aren't there, unless you have the movie rendered and imported. Forget plug-ins. Titling is there but some settings changed as well like opacity etc. There are to do markers for some things that have changed and need re-doing, so it beats reediting an entire project!

Basically, it imports the basic edit with titles and transitions and a few other elements. I think there may be translation errors that need updates but anyhow, just gave Phil/Apple the 10 bucks to support pro-app 3rd party development.

Drew

#7 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Just got off the phone with Intelligent Media and apparantely there are some bugs in the 7toX that beta testers did not find. They are still working on it and I will try to keep people posted on this. In the meantime, for anyone using X, their Event Manager X will be a must have as you build your event and project libraries up in number. Very impressed with it.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#8 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 03 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

I've transferred one of my old videos using 7-X. Worked perfectly. This opens up all sorts of possibilities. Could be a game changer.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

Eric
Did your XML include plug-ins, multi-cam, settings for Motion Control (opacity etc) transfer over from the original 7 project? With mine, the basic edit transfered (timeline, clips and media etc), but some of the settings for the image layers etc. came in screwy, and the filters and plugs-ins weren't complete either.
What kind of project was it?

Drew

#10 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Both Red Giant Looks and Gen Arts Sapphire Edge have released updated plug ins for X. Drew, as I said, Intelligent Media is aware of certain issues with 7toX and they are working on an update/fix.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:27 PM

Here are a list of known issues as of 2/2/12:

Known issues

Offline media cannot be imported.
Photoshop files aren't added to the Event browser.
Multiple mono audio clips, where some tracks have been removed, will translate without those tracks and show only the active audio tracks.
Video crossfade also adds audio crossfade to A/V clips.
Audio-only transitions on A/V clips are not applied.
Audio files with an odd number of tracks display an incorrect Channel Configuration.
Split mono clips with different audio levels or keyframes on each channel have only the first channel’s audio levels or keyframes applied.
Speed changed clips may have their in/out points slipped by a frame or two.
On Snow Leopard, Final Cut Pro X should be running before sending the translation to Final Cut Pro X or double-clicking a .fcpxml file. If not you may get an error message that the “Event is already open with the same identifier as Event, so the second document cannot be opened.”

Also this is a list of what isn't translated into XML from FCP7:

What doesn’t get translated?

Motion Project clips become a solid black custom generator named after the Motion clip. See the note under Enhancing the Translation on bringing Motion Projects forward.
If Media is offline the clip is replaced with a black custom generator and marked with a "Media Offline" to-do marker and the clip is not added to the Event. The to-do marker has the file path to the offline media added to the marker's name.
Sequence markers are ignored as there is no equivalent in Final Cut Pro X.
Freeze frames (see Before exporting XML for 7toX).
Boris Calligraphy titles become a solid black custom generator named after its original item name.
Transition settings.
Filter Settings.
Motion tab Drop Shadow and Motion Blur adjustments are ignored because there is no equivalent in Final Cut Pro X.
Travel Matte — Alpha and Travel Matte — Luma composite modes.

Here is the list of things that get "Lost in Translation":

Custom sequence frame sizes are changed to 1920 x 1080 pixels (and a to-do marker is added to the first video clip)
Text and Outline Text titles becomes Custom; Lower Third becomes Middle; Scrolling Text becomes Scrolling; Crawl becomes Ticker; and Typewriter becomes Typewriter. Font, size and color information does not transfer.
Surround sound clips will import with multiple mono audio tracks. (See note on converting Multiple Mono to Surround Sound under the Enhancing the Translation heading.)
Variable speed changes (keyframed speed changes) are converted to a constant speed change that maintains the duration of the original clip and uses the average speed of the clip.
Generators (other than Color, Color Solid, Gradient, Circle, Oval, Rectangle and Square generators) become a solid black custom generator named after the Final Cut Pro 7 generator.

As long as the old project does not include the above in the edit, it should transfer well.

Drew

#12 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10629 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:39 AM

Here is an update list of bug fixes:

Offline media cannot be imported.
Importing media using XML obeys the Import preference setting. If you don’t want media files added to the new Event, turn off the Copy files to Final Cut Events folder checkbox in the Import panel of Final Cut Pro X’s Preferences.
Photoshop files aren't added to the Event browser.
Multiple mono audio clips, where some tracks have been removed, will translate without those tracks and show only the active audio tracks.
Video crossfade also adds audio crossfade to A/V clips.
Audio-only transitions on A/V clips are not applied.
Audio files with an odd number of tracks display an incorrect Channel Configuration.
Split mono clips with different audio levels or keyframes on each channel have only the first channel’s audio levels or keyframes applied.
Speed changed clips may have their in/out points slipped by a frame or two.
On Snow Leopard, Final Cut Pro X should be running before sending the translation to Final Cut Pro X or double-clicking a .fcpxml file. If not you may get an error message that the “Event is already open with the same identifier as Event, so the second document cannot be opened.”

Drew