• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Will_Clark

Will_Clark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:54 PM

I need to go to New Zealand on business and would like advice on where I might dive while I'm there, and when the best time for that might be.

Any advice please?

#2 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

The standard go-to suggestion is the Poor Knoghts islands, and nearby, the Hen and Chicken islands. Both are on the Tutukaka Coast, an easy drive from Auckland, and there are many operators. Goat Island is even closer to the city and can be dived from shore. I don't know the South Island unfortunately

#3 eikojnz

eikojnz

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:20 PM

I am from NZ. The above suggestions are the best 3. The Coromandel peninsula has some great diving with a large percentage of the areas protected. Hahei is a great place to hang out. On land it is unbelievably scenic as well. Marlborough sounds at the top of the south island can be quite good as well. Milford Sound in Fiordland is incredible but a bit more difficult to get to. There is about a 10 foot layer of dark fresh water on the surface from all the rain (24 ft a year) so you get stuff that normally grows at several hundred feet like black coral thriving around 40 - 50 feet. Quite unique.
Eiko.

#4 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Oops, just spotted the typo, that should be Poor Knights of course!

Edited by troporobo, 05 February 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#5 MitHere

MitHere

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

There are also corals near the Chelsea sugar refinery, just off the Harbour Bridge.
Otherwise, what everyone else said. Goat Island is actually really nice, probably the most fish I've ever seen.
Hahei, the Poor Knights and Milford Sound.

Edited by MitHere, 06 February 2012 - 11:05 AM.

UW - Canon Powershot G11 with Inon D4 baseplate, arms, Inon LE240, dual Inon S2000s, Inon lens caddy, dual Inon stackable macros, Dyron 67mm adaptor and Dyron 0.3x WA lens.
Topside - Camera with Lensmate 72mm adaptor and holder, 72mm Kenko Pro1D circular polariser and Velbon Sherpa 435R.

#6 Aliens

Aliens

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

I need to go to New Zealand on business and would like advice on where I might dive while I'm there, and when the best time for that might be.

Any advice please?

Go to Poor Knights and use Dive Tutukaka a great operator have won a lot of awards. We are heading back there in April at easter

#7 Will_Clark

Will_Clark

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:38 PM

Thanks to all the repliers, this is great advice :D