• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 H2O lover

H2O lover

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

I'm looking to start in UW video without breaking the bank. I saw the Amphibico Turtle housing and was wondering if any one has one and what you think of it.
Thanks in advance
John

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:31 AM

What camcorder are you hoping to use in it?
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 H2O lover

H2O lover

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:12 PM

I haven't decided yet but it seems that most of the Sony line is compatible. maybe the XR150 or CX110 or CX150.
Do you have any recomendations?
Thanks,
john

#4 sjspeck

sjspeck

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:U/W Video

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

I like it...but I may be biased since I shoot an Evo.. :(

But really, it seems like the best value in the sub-$1500 market. The TopDawg or Equinox don't MWB and the Ikelite is model specific. Having all the controls in one place is convenient also IMO.

The Evo/Turtle is a real solid housing body. Dual o-rings on the back door and the way it's tapered mitigate any potential leakage problems.

I'd add the flip filter option though as it solves the "what do I do with the removable filter?" problem when you need to. Also with the Turtle I'm not sure how you'd mount a red filter externally, mounting it on the camera is an option but it will darken footage when you go deeper - I'm assuming that since you're considering a Turtle there's not much in the budget for lights. I often flip my filter up somewhere around 70-90' since I don't shoot with lights either. You might be able to engineer replacing the red filter with a macro diopter should you need one in the future also.

In six years, I've had no issues with my EVO. It just works. Mine also easily fits in a airline approved size roller bag with room to spare.

Since Aquatica bought Amphibico after they shut down last year, I'm optimistic that the company has a future.

Edited by sjspeck, 06 February 2012 - 06:33 AM.

#5 Beckytv

Beckytv

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

Have you looked at the Patima housings? I purchased the Patima Smart III housing for my Sony HDR CX550. It comes with an inflatable bladder to make it neutrally balanced and has controls on both handles ( you hook up which side works for you, also gives you a back up). This system allows for full control of your camcorder such as manual focus, iris, zoom, and white balance. I believe it retailed for about $1200.00.

#6 H2O lover

H2O lover

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks Becky.. I'll have to look at the Patima housing.

#7 seok

seok

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hi John,

We've been using the Turtle housing for CX550 for a while. Overall it's quite good except you have no optics options and we had a leak in our electronic right grip, which costs around USD350 to replace.

Operation wise is straight forward and easy to handle. Manual white balance requires you to press 2 buttons simultaneously and ours got sticky after a while, so make sure you soak and rinse it thoroughly after each dive.

Camera requires a bit of tweaking to get the best results (turn off low lux, back lighting, -2 exposure). Otherwise the camera tend to overexpose a little bit and gives you all the dancing pink pixels in dark areas. We used to white balance all the way to 20m with the TRV950 and it would still be ok, but with this setup best to only white balance around up to 12m and leave it at that when go deeper water.

Let me know how the Patima housing goes! Looks interesting.

Seok