• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

I just returned from a fantastic week of diving the Soccorro islands of Mexico this last week. It was great to escape the PNW winter weather for some sun and blue water. Soccorro is about 300 miles out in the Pacific southwest of Cabo San Lucas and well know for big pelagic creatures. Manta rays, Galapagos sharks, and Hammerheads, etc. We spotted humpbacks from the surface and heard them singing on many of the dives. I dove and interacted with dolphins for the first time ever which was a real treat. The big event of course was the Mantas. Just amazing, graceful, curious, and beautiful. It was a thrill to dive with them every time.

I dove on the Nautilus Explorer which as always was absolutely top notch. I highly recommend this operation!

I took lots of photos and video on this trip. Here are a few highlights and a link to my trip video.

Giant Manta
Posted Image

Posted Image

Schooling Galapagos sharks
Posted Image

Hammerheads at cleaning station
Posted Image

Posted Image

Blue Water
Posted Image

Video compilation:
[vimeo]36180863[/vimeo]

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3058 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Dave,
Great to see so much life there. Glad you got to see the Hammers!

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

How deep did you have to go for the hammerheads? We could not find any when I was there last year. If they were there they were deep.

#4 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

How deep did you have to go for the hammerheads? We could not find any when I was there last year. If they were there they were deep.

We saw hammerheads both deep and shallow. The close up shots were fairly deep, probably 90 fsw or so. Diving on a rebreather it no problem to hang out at that depth for 30 minutes or so. But we also saw them cruising by above us while at 60 fsw, so they were probably 30 feet or so. I expect we saw hammerheads on at least 6 dives around two completely different islands in the Socorro chain.

This really was an amazing trip and I highly recommend it. Hammerheads, Manta, and Dolphins - pretty hard to beat. Ok, maybe a Humpback next time.

Dave

#5 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

We saw hammerheads both deep and shallow. The close up shots were fairly deep, probably 90 fsw or so. Diving on a rebreather it no problem to hang out at that depth for 30 minutes or so. But we also saw them cruising by above us while at 60 fsw, so they were probably 30 feet or so. I expect we saw hammerheads on at least 6 dives around two completely different islands in the Socorro chain.

This really was an amazing trip and I highly recommend it. Hammerheads, Manta, and Dolphins - pretty hard to beat. Ok, maybe a Humpback next time.

Dave

When I was done there last year we had whales the whole time. In fact one time when I came up into my bantegas, a humpback breached behind me. The Bantegas operator saw it in the water underneath us. I grabbed my gear except tank and got back in the water. Right under me was a humpback calf with her mom and probably aunt. It was pretty amazing.

We could hear them in the water the majority of the time as well. We had some dolphins play with us as we swam as well. It was a great trip. The one thing we could not find was hammerheads. That is why I was curious how deep they were. They tend to usually be deeper these days.

#6 davehicks

davehicks

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:00 AM

That sounds pretty incredible. I certainly heard plenty of Humpbacks underwater, and saw a few breaching within a few hundred yards of the boat. I think I'll be making a return trip. Socorro was a lot better than Coco's last year, but then we had historically bad vis that week.

When I was done there last year we had whales the whole time. In fact one time when I came up into my bantegas, a humpback breached behind me. The Bantegas operator saw it in the water underneath us. I grabbed my gear except tank and got back in the water. Right under me was a humpback calf with her mom and probably aunt. It was pretty amazing.

We could hear them in the water the majority of the time as well. We had some dolphins play with us as we swam as well. It was a great trip. The one thing we could not find was hammerheads. That is why I was curious how deep they were. They tend to usually be deeper these days.

#7 seansrs968

seansrs968

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

That sounds pretty incredible. I certainly heard plenty of Humpbacks underwater, and saw a few breaching within a few hundred yards of the boat. I think I'll be making a return trip. Socorro was a lot better than Coco's last year, but then we had historically bad vis that week.

This was mostly at Roca Partida. I was on the Rocia del Mar and the Solmar V was also there as well. They had anchored to the left of Roca Partida and a humpback with her calf hung around the Solmar V for most of the day. It was pretty amazing. Roca was the highlight of the trip.

#8 JennyHuang

JennyHuang

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:47 PM

:) cool. love it. great shots.
Jenny's photos
D800, D700,INON Z240,Nikkor 16-35vr, 105vr,60,10-17,70-200,24,35,85