• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

Here is an interesting article about reducing moire with Lightroom 4 beta.

I am not not sure how big a problem moire will be with the D800e, but it looks like it could be painful to reduce it.

http://mansurovs.com...om-4#more-26773

#42 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:13 AM

So, should I change my pre-order to the D800 instead of the D800E??????

I was under the impression that moire removal was no big deal, but from the above article it appears to be a big deal.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#43 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:43 AM

I certainly have nothing definitive to say on the E debate.

I haven't ordered a D800 (yet) and I really wouldn't have a clue whether the D800 or the D800E would be better purchase for underwater. I have no experience of what removing the AA filter would have on a 36MP DSLR when used underwater for both wide angle and macro.

I think that there are a number of subjects underwater that could produce moire artefacts. But I am unsure about what the water column, port, lens etc will do to them in real world shooting.

I guess if it was me - I might accept that 36MP was plenty of resolution and buy the non-E version - so I can be confident of using it both above and below the water on all subjects.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#44 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:12 AM

I guess if it was me - I might accept that 36MP was plenty of resolution and buy the non-E version - so I can be confident of using it both above and below the water on all subjects.

Alex

I would agree; I've ordered the D800. I certainly don't need the additional resolution - given a choice, my preferred camera would have the D4 sensor in this body, for the ISO and frame rate. Looking at some of the moire examples, I can imagine a fair number of situations where it could be an issue, and seems like it's more likely to be a problem than needing more resolution.

Edited by loftus, 11 February 2012 - 06:15 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#45 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

On second thought it appears that the trade off between the potential moire problem is not worth the extra resolution.
I am changing my pre-order to a D800 and canceling the D800E.

Alex, Jeff thanks for your comments,
Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#46 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

Elmer's experience (changing to the E version from the non-E) is why we log into WetPixel. I don't post much because I usually have nothing to add but I definitely appreciate the data. Thatkyou to all contributers.

#47 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Very excited for you guys with a nice collection of Nikon glass...

Interesting how Nikon played its hand with the big megapixels.

Myself, I cannot wait to see what Canon does with the 5d mkiii!

#48 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:12 PM

Isnt it likely moire removal will be prioritised now the D800E is being released? Id take the Lightroom beta as a start, rather than the best we're going to see.

Video would be a whole other story of course.

Otara

#49 Geopadi

Geopadi

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:06 AM

Isnt it likely moire removal will be prioritised now the D800E is being released? Id take the Lightroom beta as a start, rather than the best we're going to see.

Video would be a whole other story of course.

Otara

Yes I agree,
I would like to hear what the medium format guys say about this since they don't use AA filters and the 36mp is in their territory now, admittedly not in the IQ180 league but treading on Mamiyas toes at 40mp even though the D800 pixel density is of course higher.
What camera lens combination was shown in the lightroom beta 4 example? 12mp perhaps?
I suppose we'll just have to wait for the likes of Ken Rockwells tests once he recieves his D800E now ordered

Roll on April!

PS I have now read the photo.net link and it was Canon 5D 12.8mp 24 -105mm zoom.

Edited by Geopadi, 12 February 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#50 wthurman

wthurman

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

I've pre-ordered the E model. There's been a lot of discussion about it on Luminous Landscape and I believe the D800E will work best for what I have in mind, which will be above water landscapes and general nature photography in Florida. I'm sure that sooner or later I'll dive the camera but with the D3x and Aquatica housing I have, there's no rush to do so. I can't see moire being an issue if I do use the camera underwater as I am shooting the cave systems in Florida- no pattern problems there. I do think lenses will be critical with either model if one is to take full advantage of the resolution. The 14-24 should be fine and maybe the 24-70/2.8 will give acceptable images, but with this camera I am leaning more towards the primes I have: 50/1.4, 85/1.4, 105/2.8. I can see the 24/3.5 TS making an appearance in my bag.

#51 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

I spoke with Harald Hordosch is SEACAM over weekend about his plans for D800. He will support it , of course, as it will be a very significant camera for uw photography. It will be a traditional SEACAM Silver design, not the Prelude concept. I assume most manufacturers will support this one.
Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#52 ghnouer

ghnouer

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

I spoke with Harald Hordosch is SEACAM over weekend about his plans for D800. He will support it , of course, as it will be a very significant camera for uw photography. It will be a traditional SEACAM Silver design, not the Prelude concept. I assume most manufacturers will support this one.

My dream housing is a SEACAM or a SUBAL.......unfortunately the price is a very important aspect.

GHN
Canon G11, Canon Housing, Inon Z240 (2x), ULCS

GHN

Visit My Website

#53 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

For the last few years the Euro has been strong against the dollar, but it is much weaker now. So housings that seemed very expensive a few years ago - may now be merely expensive in America! ;-)

Joking aside - it is always worth double checking the prices - because the exchange rates do fluctuate considerable - especially when you are talking in 1000s for uw housings.

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

Alex

Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#54 A.Y.

A.Y.

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

The sensor used inside the D800 was jointly developed by Nikon and Sony and will be used by the next Sony FF dSLR or SLT camera. So D800's samples also reveal what's in store for Sony users as well!

#55 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Nauticam have just announced the Nauticam NA -D800 will be priced at $3600 USD. Pre - orders have now opened so contact your local dealer.
They are anticipating an April ship date.

#56 StephenFrink

StephenFrink

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

For the last few years the Euro has been strong against the dollar, but it is much weaker now. So housings that seemed very expensive a few years ago - may now be merely expensive in America! ;-)

Joking aside - it is always worth double checking the prices - because the exchange rates do fluctuate considerable - especially when you are talking in 1000s for uw housings.

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

Alex

Alex is right about the effect of currency exchange. 18 months ago we had to price SEACAM at a euro worth $1.50. Now it is $1.32 and prices in us dollars have dropped. But then again, when we started importing them the Duetchmark was worth 75 cents. Euro zone contagion may influence prices. Maybe.

Edited by StephenFrink, 13 February 2012 - 04:50 PM.

Stephen Frink - www.stephenfrinkphoto.com
Publisher - Alert Diver Magazine
Distributor/North America - Seacamusa.com
Travel - Waterhousetours.com

#57 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:46 PM

I just got an email from Amazon about my expected delivery date for my D800. January 04 - Jan 08, 2013

I am sure that this is incorrect :lol:.

Edit People are freaking out at Nikonrumors, as many people just got the same email delivery date. What Fun !

Edited by Don in Colorado, 13 February 2012 - 10:09 PM.

#58 Rocha

Rocha

Salty Dog

• Senior Moderator
  • 3073 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:45 PM

What size memory cards are you guys ordering? 32 or 64gb? Are there any estimates out there about how many pics in one of those?

Luiz Rocha - www.luizrocha.com
Nikon D800, Aquatica AD800, Ikelite strobes.

#59 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

32 should be fine. Remember it is dual slot. Raw files are 40-45 MB on 14-bit. So divide by that.

#60 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:23 PM

Luiz, the D800 has 2 cards slots. The file size should be around 39-44mb (NEF RAW 14bit compressed) depending on ISO etc. But the battery is CIPA rated to 900. So let's make it an even 1000 pics. 64GB is probably the way to go for both CF and SD, if you are going to do backup of files and esp if you shoot RAW uncompressed 14bit. I usually put the RAW on 1 card and jpg on the other, since it's faster to process and weed out the junk in jpeg. Then just toss out the corresponding RAW files.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.