• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#141 alexiscoram

alexiscoram

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

Curious for those that switched from the D700 to the D800 - what's your experience been and what is the biggest difference in the image quality. Is focusing easier or harder with the D800? Do you get more blur with the D800?

I'm a newbie to UW photography and currently use the D700. Before I buy my housing, I want to be certain that I'm not going to switch to the D800. Thanks

#142 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1769 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

Hi Alexis,

Welcome to Wetpixel,

There is a lot of great information about the D800 here. If you use the search function, it will bring up a bunch of hits!

For starters though, the official (and shortly to be completed) D800 review: http://wetpixel.com/...-camera-review/

The forum: http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=46334

All the best

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#143 alexiscoram

alexiscoram

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:00 AM

Hi Adam - thanks for the info. I'd read both yesterday, along with a few other threads - fantastic information (I haven't seen anything like it anywhere else on the web).

I see a lot of D7000 vs D800 comparison but not much mention of how much better the D800 performs relative to the D700 underwater. I'm really looking for the FX vs FX comparison. Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Alexis

#144 divegypsy

divegypsy

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hello Alexis,

I've bought several D800's but don't have a housing yet. Shot with the D700 underwater on my most recent trip - Bali and South Australia. One of the reasons I may switch to the D800 for underwater use is to cut down on the gear I would have travel with if I continue to shoot underwater with the D700 and topside with the D800. The two cameras use different batteries, which means different battery chargers. And back-up's for those chargers and back-up camera bodies of each type. I also prefer shooting with only one kind of camera body so that when I reach for a particular control button on the camera it is always the same place.

You should also keep in mind that how much difference you would see between the D700 and D800 depends a lot on what you want to do with the pictures. The higher dynamic range of the D800 will be most apparent and advantageous when shooting subjects with high contrast, such as having the sun in the picture. The higher resolution is likely to be visible only if you make very large prints of the full frame or make fairly large prints from a small portion of the whole image area. The theoretical maximum resolution increase, 1.67x, will only be realized if you shoot with top quality lenses at their optimum apertures, which in many cases may not give you the depth-of-field you want or need for the picture.

If you already own a D700, but not a D800, you will probably be able to save a very large amount of money on your underwater kit by buying a used housing for your D700 vs having to buy a new housing and a D800.

Fred