#21 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

LOL 10 years? That would make you 43? Are you sure?? :(

Cheers, Simon (sorry I'm on a roll - somebody stop me!)

Well done Simon!!! All those years at school were not wasted after all :( yep 33+10= 43

Anyway looks like someone else doesn't take kindly to Drews 'You should know it all like me or you ain't worth s#*t' responses :lol:

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:40 PM

Hummm... a statement like that cut out conversation, really.

Rule #1: When the person one is talking to, put himself on a different plan, the conversation is over.

Shallow DOF & Skin tones underwater, I thought I was on Wetpixel not Dvxuser.

I agree. :( When I read phrases like the 5D2 is a "PITA" and terms like "fanboys", I assumed there wasn't going to be a discussion about the merits of FF vs other formats and how equipment choice is based on needs vs limiting choices by discounting a viable option, such as the new D800. So while you are entitled to dismiss a format for your needs (you are very welcome to state your opinion why here), I think there are people who may prefer the esthetics of the FF format. My apologies if I misconstrued your original post.

Furthermore, while WP is primarily concentrates on underwater use, it'd be limiting to keep all discussions just in that realm. There are uses of DOF and good skintones for close up underwater shots as well, as well as high ISO shots, which usually isn't cleaner once someone goes to 5000ISO with formats like APS-C or 4/3. Then of course there are the many small underwater productions shot by the 5D2, as well as B & C cams in TV productions and of course BTS making of shots. Those productions also use the cameras for topside, shooting closeup for interviews etc. It'd be again pretty limiting to buy a camera for topside and another for underwater use, when one can buy 2 or more of the same bodies and have backup.

The conclusion FF35mm betrays more flaws than other formats is not exactly true. Yes, 36mp will out resolve some older lenses designed for film because of how the sensor gathers light. However the resolution for 1080p video is pretty low, compared to say 4k, so lens flaws will be pretty masked over.

Corner performance has always been a problem for FF because of dome size in the old days, but nowadays a 9" dome is more available. APS-C and 4/3 lenses are also designed for the sensor size, and have the same corner issues when attempting the same FOV. I tried the 8-16 on an APS-C and the corner issues only disappeared using a 9" dome at f8... similar to the 12-24 (same FOV). An added advantage to FF is that there are more wide angle fast lenses like the excellent 14-24 f2.8 or 16-35 f2.8 or primes 14 f2.8, 21 f2.8 and 24 f1.4, which allows for wide FOV @ wide apertures (eg. 14mm @ f2.8 focused at 2.3m away), thus lowering ISO noise while keeping most things in relatively good focus. The corners will probably go soft but if it's a solo subject, it may be worth the loss of corner sharpness.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:42 PM

I don't think many of us qualify as 'young' cinematographers Deano, but one can dream on both counts I guess! Besides when was the last time you were in the water other than your bath? Got to talk about something!! :(

Hey Simon,
I'm far too young to be this old.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#24 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Anyway looks like someone else doesn't take kindly to Drews 'You should know it all like me or you ain't worth s#*t' responses :(

hehe At least its not me getting told off for once! :(

#25 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

hehe At least its not me getting told off for once! :lol:

I would say 'corrected' over told off mate! :( for using our lesser 'Gweilo' intelligence ... Amazes me how some are actually born knowing everything and never had to learn or experience things through their lives and careers.

Members will be too scared to ask questions soon in fear of being belittled :(

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#26 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1390 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:07 AM

I'm far too young to be this old.

I'll have to start using that line! :(

#27 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

"

At least its not me getting told off for once! :lol:

" Amazes me how some are actually born knowing everything and never had to learn or experience things through their lives and careers."

"Members will be too scared to ask questions soon in fear of being belittled "

I was going to ditto Simon's comment until I got the PM below. We all have had experiences with different products and often people come to us either here or in person with issues hoping we can solve them, provide understanding or give comments. It seems that if I say something good, I am being criticized or if I say something negative, I am being criticized. So I guess what Drew is saying via this PM is that I cannot have an opinion or express it. I don't consider myself 'Industry' since I am not paid by any industry. I shoot and edit films like everyone else here and I do write reviews without remuneration. Here's a word Drew....Megalomania.

"I've talked to you about your status as industry and your constant disparaging of brands you were formerly represented and promoting brands you received free merchandise from. Whether you are being factual or not, you are an industry member and cannot write disparaging remarks about brands you don't represent, especially those from unverifiable sources.
Drew"

Hey Drew, Are you the only one here with a valid opinion? I guess you must think so and from the many pms and emails I get regarding your comments, apparently others think you believe that as well.

Edited by Steve Douglas, 10 February 2012 - 10:20 AM.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#28 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

I did not want unleash all this :lol:

"At my signal, unleash hell" [cit. Gladiator]
Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#29 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

M43user,
I agree, it should not be necessary at all. I learn a great deal from others here and people should not be afraid to express their experiences and opinions. I believe in helping others where I can and love when others like Simon, Real Drew, Dean and so many more folk share their experiences and opinions for me to learn from. You should be free to do so, as long as one is not obstreporious or disruptive, without recriminations.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#30 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

I did not want unleash all this :lol:

Don't worry bud this is a on going thing ... Just laugh out loud and live your life free in the knowledge that it really doesnt bleeding matter :) lifes to short

Dean
Facebook me ;)