• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:10 AM

I would like peoples thoughts on packing.

Do people take their full camera systems as hand luggage?

Does anyone put their systems in hold luggage?

If you put it in hold luggage what protection do you apply.

I ask the question due to my camera system growing and it beginning to weigh more than the hand luggage limit, I dont really want to have to pay any extra if I can get away with it, just wanting to find out what others do.

If I see good ideas I may even change the camera I upgrade to next

Edited by Longimanus1975, 08 February 2012 - 03:15 AM.

#2 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

We just moved country and I practically carried all my camera equipment as carry on, the only stuff that went in the hold were batteries, chargers, strobe arm parts and extension rings, things that wont break. Everything in the hold was extra and I would have been able to take photos if my checked luggage got lost. All the carry on gear including a ThinkTank Airport bag weighed 13kgs plus a
backpack with lenses, my limit was 8, so before checked in I removed the housing and some other bits to reduce the weight to 8kg's in case they weighed it (they did not) and put them in backpack that my girlfriend took through. After passport control I put everything back in the main bag and was not bothered.

I think the key is to look as if you are not overloaded...a couple smaller bags look better than a big fat bag, I must say the ThinkTank is heavy at 5 kg's but it looks compact and protects gear well.

I would not put anything fragile in the hold as those bags get chucked around regardless of Fragile stickers...

#3 steviet

steviet

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:01 AM

I carry mine on in a Porter hard case and it doubles as a fantastic cart to put other luggage on and wheel through the airport. I really like it, plus if it's packed well you can fit other stuff into it as well, shirts, shorts, etc... for added bonus. Plus in the event you have to gate check it it's in a hard case and less likely to get damaged.

Steve

Edited by steviet, 08 February 2012 - 05:02 AM.

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3014 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:15 AM

There is a bunch more information on traveling with your gear on this thread.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 bvanant

bvanant

Orca

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1497 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:10 AM

Does anyone put their systems in hold luggage?

If you put it in hold luggage what protection do you apply.

I ask the question due to my camera system growing and it beginning to weigh more than the hand luggage limit, I dont really want to have to pay any extra if I can get away with it, just wanting to find out what others do.

If I see good ideas I may even change the camera I upgrade to next

My wife and I both take our camera/video stuff in a ThinkTank bag. We both take enough stuff to be able to take photos/videos when we land. For me this means housing, body, lens, ports and a single strobe with arms and batteries. For her it is video camera, batteries and housing. In a big Storm case in the hold go the other stuff like more batteries, battery chargers etc., a bunch of video lighting and battery chargers for that, extra strobes, arms, lens ports, gears etc.

We have been very lucky in that the big box has almost always showed up the same time we did, occasionally it shows up a day later.

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#6 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

Cheers for all the replies. I have in the past loaded up all my pockets on my combats with things like strobes, arms, lense etc, but as I expand I don't think this is feasible, sooner or later I am going to get caught.

With most of my trips to the red sea, and them being really strict on baggage allowance I obviously want to make sure I am prepared before I invest in my new rig. I have trouble with all my compact camera gear so I don't know how all you slr users get by.

I suppose if you can't get all your gear in hand luggage you run the risk of your hold bag not arriving when you arrive

#7 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:26 AM

There is a bunch more information on traveling with your gear on this thread.

Cheers,
Steve

Just read through it all Steve, many thanks for this

#8 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

I carry all may photography gear with me.
I use two bags:

1.- The Lowepro Flipside 300, here I put my Nikon D7000 plus 3 lenses (Nikon 35mm 1.8G, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60mm), I still have space left, I think I will be able to put inside the Nikon 70-200 VRII ones I get one. This bag goes behind the sit on the airplane without problems.
2.- NorthFace Duffel bag size small, here I put all my current underwater equipment, Aquatica housing, 2xz240, arms with stix floats, mini dome, Sola 600, chargers and batteries. I still have space left for a macro port and a medium size dome like a 6" dome.

If I need more space I can always put my camera inside the housing, as long as the gear is with me and has some protection I don't see a problem.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#9 kun1

kun1

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

i usually carry 20-25kg as hand luggage. a big amphibico housing, wide angle lens, a set of lights and my video camera (usually inside the housing). All i do is get my friend to hold my carry on while i check in and then when he checks in i hold his. Oh yeah, i also carry my 17" laptop as well. its a bit of a chore lugging all of this around a airport but much better than handing it over to the airport staff

never had a issue. my biggest worry is when i put it in the overhead compartment and people start re-arranging baggage.. really annoys me, just leave my stuff alone.

Edited by kun1, 08 February 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#10 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:02 PM

i usually carry 20-25kg as hand luggage. a big amphibico housing, wide angle lens, a set of lights and my video camera (usually inside the housing). All i do is get my friend to hold my carry on while i check in and then when he checks in i hold his. Oh yeah, i also carry my 17" laptop as well. its a bit of a chore lugging all of this around a airport but much better than handing it over to the airport staff

never had a issue. my biggest worry is when i put it in the overhead compartment and people start re-arranging baggage.. really annoys me, just leave my stuff alone.

I have thought about this, not a bad idea, just can't travel alone!

I carry all may photography gear with me.
I use two bags:

1.- The Lowepro Flipside 300, here I put my Nikon D7000 plus 3 lenses (Nikon 35mm 1.8G, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60mm), I still have space left, I think I will be able to put inside the Nikon 70-200 VRII ones I get one. This bag goes behind the sit on the airplane without problems.
2.- NorthFace Duffel bag size small, here I put all my current underwater equipment, Aquatica housing, 2xz240, arms with stix floats, mini dome, Sola 600, chargers and batteries. I still have space left for a macro port and a medium size dome like a 6" dome.

If I need more space I can always put my camera inside the housing, as long as the gear is with me and has some protection I don't see a problem.

Sounds to me that your hand luggage rules are very different to mine, we only get 5kg usually

#11 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hand luggage in the U.S. on US carriers is not weighed. It is rarely checked for size. If it fits in the overhead, there is usually no issue.
So I can carry an entire D90 setup - Nexus housing, camera in the housing, 5 lenses, strobes, dome, ports in a Lowepro AW200. Chargers, arms, clamps, batteries, clothes go in a carry on size roller.
They let me carry it all on. Total wt is close to 31 kg. No charge, no hassles.
Dive gear goes in checked luggage.
When I travel to Asia on Asian carriers, I check the roller and put enough in pockets to pass the weight test, then put them back in the backpack.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#12 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:02 PM

Sounds to me that your hand luggage rules are very different to mine, we only get 5kg usually

Here is about 8kg, but the Lowepro Flipside 300 doesn't count because goes under the seat, my duffel bag weighs around 10kg, but so far hasn't been weighed.
I always pretend that it is light as a feather.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#13 Stitchercaroline

Stitchercaroline

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

I take it all with me and have got it down to 5.5 kg in my carry on luggage and 6.5kg in my jacket, due to the number of pockets added by both the manufacturer and myself :D

I always carry a great big smile and am ubber polite with the staff and so far, touch wood...............

Edited by Stitchercaroline, 18 February 2012 - 01:48 AM.

#14 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:40 AM

I take it all with me and have got it down to 5.5 kg in my carry on luggage and 6.5kg in my jacket, due to the number of pockets added by both the manufacturer and myself :D

I always carry a great big smile and am ubber polite with the staff and so far, touch wood...............

Any chance of a photo of this jacket please

#15 Stitchercaroline

Stitchercaroline

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Any chance of a photo of this jacket please

I haven't got a photo but it it just a simple canvas jacket I got from TKMAXX. I chose one with lots of pockets already in it, then stitched a large canvas pocket on the rear. This pocket can hold my netbook, macro port, and 2 INON strobes. It is closed with 2 long velcro strips. The strobe arms are placed down the sleeves to which I have also added velcro to keep them closed at the end.................... Obviously I never put the jacket on .

#16 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:17 PM

I haven't got a photo but it it just a simple canvas jacket I got from TKMAXX. I chose one with lots of pockets already in it, then stitched a large canvas pocket on the rear. This pocket can hold my netbook, macro port, and 2 INON strobes. It is closed with 2 long velcro strips. The strobe arms are placed down the sleeves to which I have also added velcro to keep them closed at the end.................... Obviously I never put the jacket on .

Funny that, I was in tkmaxx today looking for a jacket.
So basically you take a jacket, carry it under arm with all your bits in it. Do you get funny looks in countries where it is really hot;-)

#17 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

I am a great fan of carrying all my crucial camera and housing parts on as a carry on.

In my experience, backpack type bags seem to attract less attention at check in than wheeled bags. Whether this is a reaction the the idea that "if it needs wheels it must be heavy", or some kind of official policy I don't know, but practical experience may suggest the latter.

Of course my shoulder muscles suffer for this:)

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#18 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:37 PM

I am a great fan of carrying all my crucial camera and housing parts on as a carry on.

In my experience, backpack type bags seem to attract less attention at check in than wheeled bags. Whether this is a reaction the the idea that "if it needs wheels it must be heavy", or some kind of official policy I don't know, but practical experience may suggest the latter.

Of course my shoulder muscles suffer for this:)

Adam

I agree with you Adam, only problem with that is the last 2 times I have left marsa alam, they want to weigh all your luggage together, and there was no leeway in being over your limit! Luckily I had a few bits in my pockets.

#19 drako

drako

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

Take as much as you can on carry-on.
On days of travel I wear a pair of cargo pants that can hold a ds-160 in each pocket. I also carry a photo vest that can hold sync cables, lenses etc.

In the end I can take a lot of weight off and put it on my "person". This gets around the staff asking to weigh your carry-on.

Also perception is huge. The Think Tank shape shifter and International combo work well.

Jose

#20 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:37 AM

Take as much as you can on carry-on.
On days of travel I wear a pair of cargo pants that can hold a ds-160 in each pocket. I also carry a photo vest that can hold sync cables, lenses etc.

In the end I can take a lot of weight off and put it on my "person". This gets around the staff asking to weigh your carry-on.

Also perception is huge. The Think Tank shape shifter and International combo work well.

Jose

I have done something similar using a fisherman vest, when we travel with our technical equipment I put the 6 first stages in my pockets, the same can be done for the lenses and strobes.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

flickr