• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:08 AM

Of all the people that fill their pockets/take a jacket etc, who has ever been checked or asked to empty them?

#22 acuevas

acuevas

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:22 AM

Of all the people that fill their pockets/take a jacket etc, who has ever been checked or asked to empty them?

Some times, after pass the jacket through the scanner, I've been asked about those metal little things I'm carrying (the first stages), after a brief explanation I can move on.
Regards
Andres Cuevas

Nikon D7000, Tokina 10-17, Aquatica AD7000, Aquatica Mini Dome, 2xInon Z-240 type 4.
flickr

#23 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:32 AM

Any chance of a photo of this jacket please

Many people use these vest with 24 pockets: http://www.scotteves...avel_Vest.shtml
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#24 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

Many people use these vest with 24 pockets: http://www.scotteves...avel_Vest.shtml

Cheers for the link, they look very interesting

#25 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:40 AM

Cheers for the link, they look very interesting

The e-vests are great for 'hiding' that you're carrying things while roaming around casually...for that reason I think a more traditional photographer's/fisherman's vest with very obvious pockets is best for the actual travel day. Don't want/need to appear to be 'hiding' things as you're not trying to sneak them past security (you will take off vest and run it thru scanner), nor do you want to give the impression you're trying to do any such thing. You just don't want them in the weighed luggage.

I tend to agree with those who say carry on anything you can, simply because of the threat of checked luggage not arriving or being rifled thru when out of your view. But in practice I find I end up with larger items checked regardless. e.g. Housing, camera body, lenses, strobes, various batteris and chargers can all carry on, but handle/tray base, large domes go with dive gear in checked bag. So if I were to lose my checked bag, I'd be nonfunctional underwater anyway. :)

Not sure there's a way around this. Some might argue that no one is going to steal only 'half' a housing, or a dome port alone, etc, which is the logic I kind of gain comfort from when checking. So its really just the airline misrouting baggage issue that's the primary concern.

On my last trip to Dominica I had a small 'reporter style' waist bag for a camera and a couple lenses that got packed into larger rolling scuba bag, with the domes and a few other heavy items inside it for protection in transit. I was a tad worried it might look too obviously like a camera bag and be a temptation, even though that's not what was in it, but there was no problem after all. Plus once I arrived, that became my above-water camera/lens bag for hikes, so it served double duty that way.

Even with a rather obvious fishing/photo vest with pockets bulging all over (I don't go overboard, but have had a macro lens, passport, sunglasses case, huge pocketful of change, snacks, baseball cap wadded up, various lens cleaning wipes, spare neck strap, AA battery charger, cell phone and Kindle all in pockets) I've never been asked to have the vest weighed. They have weighed my just-at-the-US-carryon limit LowePro Vertex 300AW backpack. Fully packed with as much as I can cram in it it's 33-35 lbs. Dominica carry-on weight limit was 40. :D

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#26 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

The e-vests are great for 'hiding' that you're carrying things while roaming around casually...for that reason I think a more traditional photographer's/fisherman's vest with very obvious pockets is best for the actual travel day. Don't want/need to appear to be 'hiding' things as you're not trying to sneak them past security (you will take off vest and run it thru scanner), nor do you want to give the impression you're trying to do any such thing.

Not sure about this. I use my Lowepro street and field vest which is black onto which I hook the black lens cases etc. Obvious or not, a bulging black vest with black tubular attachments, is a mite too close to what I imagine suicide bombers would wear. This is definately not a good look and something I am keen to get away from :D

On a serious note, does anyone know how much you can cram into one of the Scottevests?

Erol

Edited by ErolE, 21 February 2012 - 11:05 AM.

Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#27 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3024 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:50 AM

On a serious note, does anyone know how much you can cram into one of the Scottevests?

Hi Erol,
Very much more than it is comfortable to carry. I've gone through the airport screen with a YS-250 pro in each side pocket and almost all my clothes for a week in the huge back pocket. Not recommended but it can be done. Normally I use it for carrying my passport, ebook, CF card holder, one of my backup hard drives, Iphone, headphones for the plane, misc. stuff like that.

I have to disagree with my friend from Texas. I'd much rather go through any large airport like LAX with a Scottevest than looking like an obvoius target for theft with a photo jacket on. In my experience the screeners don't percieve it as trying to hide anything, they've seen hundreds of the vests and are used to them coming through. the last time through LAX the screener even commented
"Nice vest"

If your interested they are having their annual sale starting tomorrow through the 24th, 40% off, a nice deal on a normally $100 USD vest. You can check out this page to plan your attack, but be warned that the code (11SALE40) won't work until 5AM MT on February 22, 2012.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#28 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for the Info Steve and I hope you are doing well!

The link you provided sent me to COX Web/e-mail, but I assume we can buy directly from Scottvest....I'll be getting one!

I have the Thinktank Airport International V2.0 and I think you do to....I was thinking about replacing my Lowepro small backpack with the biggest TT backpack/bag that would still be considered a "personal item" and of course will fit under the seat.
What do recommend? Maybe something that rides on top the TT Airport International?

Thanks Amigo!

Hi Erol,
Very much more than it is comfortable to carry. I've gone through the airport screen with a YS-250 pro in each side pocket and almost all my clothes for a week in the huge back pocket. Not recommended but it can be done. Normally I use it for carrying my passport, ebook, CF card holder, one of my backup hard drives, Iphone, headphones for the plane, misc. stuff like that.

I have to disagree with my friend from Texas. I'd much rather go through any large airport like LAX with a Scottevest than looking like an obvoius target for theft with a photo jacket on. In my experience the screeners don't percieve it as trying to hide anything, they've seen hundreds of the vests and are used to them coming through. the last time through LAX the screener even commented
"Nice vest"

If your interested they are having their annual sale starting tomorrow through the 24th, 40% off, a nice deal on a normally $100 USD vest. You can check out the page to plan your attack, but be warned that the code (11SALE40) won't work until 5AM MT on February 22, 2012.

Cheers,
Steve

Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#29 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:58 PM

Some great info here, I was thinking about using a vest and once past checkin I put as much stuff back in my bag, not sure what vest to go for at the moment, gonna try and get around and have a look at some different types, still gonna wear a pair of combats and fill those pockets as well

#30 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:29 PM

...I have to disagree with my friend from Texas. I'd much rather go through any large airport like LAX with a Scottevest than looking like an obvoius target for theft with a photo jacket on. In my experience the screeners don't percieve it as trying to hide anything, they've seen hundreds of the vests and are used to them coming through. the last time through LAX the screener even commented
"Nice vest"...

Yeah, the theft-target visibility is a concern, but frankly if 100's of E-vests go thru, then any enlightened crook will know what they look like, too.

But I do get your point, maybe I'm being too worried about looking like I'm trying to hide. Erol's equivalent point about a black vest with black hangers does sound kind of 'tactical' looking. :)

It's funny, I used to scoff at obvious "tourists" with cameras on neck straps. Now that's the least geeky I ever look. The most geeky is either khaki photo vest with bulging pockets, reporter bag slung off my butt, and a camera in my hand, or replace the reporter bag with the Cotton Carrier ('urban camera assault chest launcher') and hang the camera lens down off my front. Ah, good times.

And I wonder why the wife always keeps her distance now... afraid of geek cooties by association I guess. :D

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#31 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi Erol,

That sounds pretty promising. Whilst I do like the Lowepro S&F series tactical vest, it is just a little too, well...tactical. Something a little more subtle might be in order.

The Scottevest stuff look pretty good, I am rubbing my hands at what extra I ll be able to carry :D

And as for comfort. Well that was scarificed a long time ago, when they started getting picky about luggage allowances.
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving

#32 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3024 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

The link you provided sent me to COX Web/e-mail, but I assume we can buy directly from Scottvest....I'll be getting one!

I have the Thinktank Airport International V2.0 and I think you do to....I was thinking about replacing my Lowepro small backpack with the biggest TT backpack/bag that would still be considered a "personal item" and of course will fit under the seat.
What do recommend? Maybe something that rides on top the TT Airport International?

Thanks for the heads up Mike. I fixed the link. It should have been here; http://www.scotteves...avel_Vest.shtml

I've been using the Thinktank Urban Disguise 60 carry bag to get my bodies and lenses to the boat. It's made to ride on top of the International as you suggest and big enough for a 17" laptop. You can check it out here

The thing holds an amazing amount of stuff. It's become by go to camera bag on the rare occasion I shoot above water.

Cheers partner!
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#33 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3024 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

And I wonder why the wife always keeps her distance now... afraid of geek cooties by association I guess. :)

Hey Richard, just explain to your wife how being geeky is cool. :D

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

#34 traverse_2

traverse_2

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:09 AM

I take it all with me and have got it down to 5.5 kg in my carry on luggage and 6.5kg in my jacket, due to the number of pockets added by both the manufacturer and myself :lol:

I always carry a great big smile and am ubber polite with the staff and so far, touch wood...............

Agree that goes a long way when dealing with the staff. Have a look at http://www.scottevest.com/ I use their Tropical jacket vest and it has a lot of pockets which work well for the old "stuff it in you jacket trick". Their items are well made and work wonders on the Cary on issues.

Edited by traverse_2, 22 February 2012 - 03:12 AM.

#35 drako

drako

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

I try and bring everything that is essential and pack all that is not. So all my extra parts go in the check in and I try and pack at least a few pairs of underwear for my carry on in case they lose my bag.
It happened in Fiji for couple of days I was diving in skivvies :lol:

I use a ThinkTank Shape Shifter/Airport International combo.
As I mentioned before I bring large cargo pants and a photo vest. I only use these when I need it, more on that later.

I have had experience with the Streetwalker Harddrive which is great however I find that its limitation is that it "looks" like a photo bag. The shapeshifter is a soft sided backpack and gives the appearance of a standard laptop bag.
http://www.thedigita...ifter_field.jpg
The airport international is a fantastic bag. Earlier I mentioned perception; I and a friend were in Cairo for a few days and had to take a domestic flight to Hurghada, to get on a liveaboard. He had an airport international, I had an identically sized bag but it was two different colors. They looked at both of ours and said mine was too big/too heavy.
So far I have been succesful with saying my backpack is "just my laptop bag".

While checking in I have all my papers ready and try and strike up conversation, ask them what is the best food, how do they like it here as opposed to there etc. Always smiling and excited to travel.
When asked about my luggage I say that my backpack is my laptop and my carry on is some clothes and a camera. Also if you are in a foreign country know some words, its goes a long way.

Nine times out of ten this works, however when being polite, asking them to insure it all, hiding your baggage between your legs while checking in or you notice they are weighing every bag; I use my photovest and cargos.
I know it sounds ridiculous but it has worked. I walk to the side and try and fit as much as possible...usually all that is left is my dome and housing in the carry on. This usually brings the weight down to the 15lbs for carryon.
Wear the camera with the biggest lens, then stuff sync cords, cables, arms, joints, and lenses in pockets with strobes going in the cargos.
I get the stink eye and it looks ridiculous, but I just say that my equipment is on my person and thats how I plan to fly.

Yes I know....I'm "that" guy

Jose

Edited by drako, 23 February 2012 - 04:46 AM.

#36 Stitchercaroline

Stitchercaroline

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:53 AM

Beware, I recently flew with Thai air from Heathrow, they were actually pulling people within 20 metres of the plane door weighing and searching their luggage!!!!!!! so be very careful if you re-jig your stuff once you get airside, some people had to dump stuff or check it into the hold. Ryanair do the same............. But that is likely to come as no surprise to those in the UK

#37 MIKE POWELL

MIKE POWELL

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

I bought the Streetwalker HD (before I read your post Drako) as my "personal item" bag to use in combo with the International. I read in the reviews that it was small enough to fit under the plane seat, but it almost looks as big the TT International.

Now I'm thinking I should send it back and get either the Shapeshifter or the Urban Disguise 60 (as Steve recommended). But to me the SS does not look like I can adjust the dividers to fit my essentials (Camera Housing, camera body, 10-17, mini dome, etc.)
What do you put in your SS Drako?

AND the Urban Disguise 60 looks a little too small and I really like backpacks....decisions, decisions....????

Thanks!

I try and bring everything that is essential and pack all that is not. So all my extra parts go in the check in and I try and pack at least a few pairs of underwear for my carry on in case they lose my bag.
It happened in Fiji for couple of days I was diving in skivvies :lol:

I use a ThinkTank Shape Shifter/Airport International combo.
As I mentioned before I bring large cargo pants and a photo vest. I only use these when I need it, more on that later.

I have had experience with the Streetwalker Harddrive which is great however I find that its limitation is that it "looks" like a photo bag. The shapeshifter is a soft sided backpack and gives the appearance of a standard laptop bag.
http://www.thedigita...ifter_field.jpg
The airport international is a fantastic bag. Earlier I mentioned perception; I and a friend were in Cairo for a few days and had to take a domestic flight to Hurghada, to get on a liveaboard. He had an airport international, I had an identically sized bag but it was two different colors. They looked at both of ours and said mine was too big/too heavy.
So far I have been succesful with saying my backpack is "just my laptop bag".

While checking in I have all my papers ready and try and strike up conversation, ask them what is the best food, how do they like it here as opposed to there etc. Always smiling and excited to travel.
When asked about my luggage I say that my backpack is my laptop and my carry on is some clothes and a camera. Also if you are in a foreign country know some words, its goes a long way.

Nine times out of ten this works, however when being polite, asking them to insure it all, hiding your baggage between your legs while checking in or you notice they are weighing every bag; I use my photovest and cargos.
I know it sounds ridiculous but it has worked. I walk to the side and try and fit as much as possible...usually all that is left is my dome and housing in the carry on. This usually brings the weight down to the 15lbs for carryon.
Wear the camera with the biggest lens, then stuff sync cords, cables, arms, joints, and lenses in pockets with strobes going in the cargos.
I get the stink eye and it looks ridiculous, but I just say that my equipment is on my person and thats how I plan to fly.

Yes I know....I'm "that" guy

Jose

Visit My Website

7D Nauticam + Z240's

#38 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Another vote for ScottEVest. I've been using one for a couple of years and it's been very durable. You can get a huge amount of gear into one and I have never been asked one question about the contents at security.

When I flew to Galapagos, in my vest I had:
- Dell netbook
- passport
- tickets
- headphones
- smartphone
- watch
- two lenses
- sunglasses
- memory cards

And it didnt seem overpacked at all. It probably weighed 10 lbs. :lol:

John

Nikon D800 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#39 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

Good to know that you got 2 lenses in there, was it still not obvious you had them?

#40 ErolE

ErolE

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:08 AM

If your interested they are having their annual sale starting tomorrow through the 24th, 40% off, a nice deal on a normally $100 USD vest. You can check out this page to plan your attack, but be warned that the code (11SALE40) won't work until 5AM MT on February 22, 2012.

Steve,

Thanks for the heads up. Spent some money :lol:
Erol Eriksson
www.photographee.org
Unified Team Diving