• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 18 June 2002 - 11:12 PM

I am new to U/W photography and consequently have a lot of questions (some wierd to the initiated I suppose) swirling around my little head.

One of these questions is around lighting color.

If (?) colour is the main issue would it therefore be considered that a video light of equal color to a strobe (and equivalent power) would render the same picture as using a strobe?

I have been advised by a freind to buy two Ikelite vdo lights (and dump my SS 90) and I will get equal picture quality plus be able to use the camera's (4040) Aperture Priority mode with more ease and be able to redirect light to create interesting lighting effects more simply.

My quandry is will this work? I figure if its so simple then why is not everyone doing it - but do not know enough to answer my own query.

#2 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 01:18 AM

The main issue is not color balance. There are good strobes and video lights on the market with good color balance.

The main issue is control over the balance of ambient light vs strobe light in your photos. Because the strobe duration is only about 1/1000 seconds or less, the ratio of the blue ambient light to the strobe light, which is what give your subjects bright colors, can be controlled with shutter speed adjustments. You will loss that degree of freedom if you go with video light.

It may be possible to get good macro shots with video lights, but I doubt that you'll be able take good wide angle shots that way.

Herb
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 04:51 AM

I started out in uw digital using a 100w video light.

My photographs improved about 1000% when I started using a strobe.

A video light is not much use for anything >1foot away - everything will appear blue or have a blue/green cast to it.

They do have their time/place (night dives they are nice) but I would recommend you keep your strobe.

HTH
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 09:22 AM

HID lights work well for macro, macro only!

#5 herbko

herbko

Herbzilla

• Super Mod
  • 2128 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 11:22 AM

Even shooting macro, it's better to use a strobe. Lots of critters will move away from bright lights.

Herb
Herb Ko http://herbko.net
Canon 5D; Aquatica housing; 2 Inon Z220 strobes; Canon 100mm macro, 17-40mm ; Sigma 15mm FE, 24mm macro, 50mm macro

#6 scubaho

scubaho

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 June 2002 - 06:32 PM

There has been alot of testing and there is no substitute for strobes over video lights. Ikelite reccomends strobes over lights. More info at:http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/dig_strobes.html

#7 tshepherd

tshepherd

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 04:20 AM

Don't forgo a strobe for a video light. I tried on a couple of dives in Truk, using my UK HID light without my DS-50 strobe. Pictures were ok when I was shooting macro, but definitely weren't as good as when using the strobe.

Tom

#8 cmdasia

cmdasia

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 June 2002 - 07:17 PM

Many Thanks to all.

The advice is really appreciated and has saved me making what would be a mistake (even though the majority of what I "attempt" to shoot is macro, I do not plan things - I like to rattle off shots at everything - so this advice has saved me some hard earned cash.